Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport Levy....£30 confirmed as per NSC exclusive

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Seriously - anyone who has any issue with this should just f*** off and support someone else.

We have one of the best equipped stadiums in the country, tickets to get in are in massive demand and yet we still have bargain-ous ticket prices as well as the ability to pay by Direct Debit which eases the burden for many.

We all campaigned for years and years about how we would make the Falmer location work using sustainable transport wherever possible.

A £30 levy is a ridiculously small price to pay to help continue the Albion/Amex success story.

Absolutely this

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seriously - anyone who has any issue with this should just f*** off and support someone else.

We have one of the best equipped stadiums in the country, tickets to get in are in massive demand and yet we still have bargain-ous ticket prices as well as the ability to pay by Direct Debit which eases the burden for many.

We all campaigned for years and years about how we would make the Falmer location work using sustainable transport wherever possible.

A £30 levy is a ridiculously small price to pay to help continue the Albion/Amex success story.

Really, I'll leave now as ordered shall I ?

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I just cannot believe that some people are so shortsighted in looking at this.
1) If the club never did this, they would get planning permission for the new seats
2) It's £1.50 a match
3) i reckon 75% come by some sort of public transport or P+R - its a majority interest
4) People who travel on other organised coaches or already park their cars, will have the costs taken out from their normal fares
5) We would not be able to progress as a club, attract the calibre of players etc - if we don't get number 1

Wake up and smell the coffee

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I'll ask again as I'm not sure how it works. How do the train companies charge the club if they dont collect the vouchers?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'll ask again as I'm not sure how it works. How do the train companies charge the club if they dont collect the vouchers?

I'm sure LB will correct me, but I think in our travel plans we provided estimates of how many people will travel by each different option. Bus, p&r, train etc...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The club are not blameless though. For the Barnsley match on a Sunday, the club shop was shut pre-match, and there was NO WAY to buy a travel voucher on the day on that occasion ( Yes, we can all be perfect and make special trips to buy in advance / commit to a full voucher book etc. etc.:rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm: - but a facility to buy on the day, if they are required, is pretty fundamental I reckon).

The club also messed up a bit by not enforcing the voucher system from the get-go, mainly because they hadn't sent the vouchers out in time and there wasn't specific vouchers for the ramp-up events. Once people have travelled for free a couple of times on trains they get used to not having to buy a ticket. It would be impossible to check the tickets at Brighton/Falmer so I'm fine with the extra £30.

I guess they negotiate. Something along the lines of ... "Pay us some money or we won't provide the extra trains and we'll just leave people queueing at Brighton Station".

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Bozza, nailed it with his post. I cannot believe that some people cannot see the bigger picture and are just moaning about themselves. As I already have a valid train ticket I do not stand to gain particularly from this but I do now have the option of the bus should I desire, which is great. I subsidised others at withdean without complaint as I realised what a spot the club were in and was willing to do my bit. £2.50 a month is not a figure worth getting up in arms about, and if you are really upset so much about how shabbily the club are treating you then, really what the f*** are doing here. Our success will carry a price tag for supporters if we are to have a viable and sustainable future.

Not everyone will be pleased but the club CANNOT please everyone but they have come up with a solution that suits most and they can do little more my in my opinion. If you are that hacked off by it don't renew and let someone else have your ticket.

I'm sure LB will correct me, but I think in our travel plans we provided estimates of how many people will travel by each different option. Bus, p&r, train etc...
Indeed. The number actually travelling by train far exceeds the original estimates.

As a transport planner, my explanation of this would probably include the fact that more people are attracted to train travel when it is perceived to be free. At the moment - for some people - it IS free. Once the levy is in place, it will continue to be PERCEIVED (at least on the day) as free. The levy will therefore continue to be a mechanism that encourages large numbers of people to travel by train.

The planners will be impressed.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great to see NSC manages to generate a heated debate about a scheme which offers fantastic value and is fair to virtually everyone.

How many other grounds can you get to and from for less than the price of a coffee - or a Dad and two kids could do so for less than the cost of a programme?

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
So all the car parking whingers were jumping the gun (as I suggests two days ago that the club may reduce the car parking charge) and the "I go by coach whingers" will also pay less next year to compensate.

Meanwhile, a certain poster seem to forget that his kids get subsidised every home game by the rest of the fans because they don't have to pay full price.

I don't have a problem with it at all provided they are going to reduce the car parking by the equivilant amount

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fantastic news. :clap:

I've walked to the vast majority of the matches this season, which takes about 90 minutes. It will be nice to have the option of the bus or train for next season. I think it's a very good decision by the club.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
The club cocked it up in the first place, if they had just carried on at the start of this season as the did for the Withdean years you could probably reduce the post count here significantly.

I bought a university space at the beginning of the season for a number of reasons.

1. There are 5 of us (3 children) and the cost was £30 each. I didn't think for a minute that a large majority would be screwing over the club or that the club would let them. So didn't see this as an optional extra more which band would I pay.

2. The transport message from the club at the beginning of the season was a little incoherent, which I guess is to be expected as they were probably unsure how it was all going to pan out.

3. I wanted to see how the transport was going to work so took the £360 hit rather then queue in the cold for a November midweek game with 3 children.

The club have absolutely got this right and it is now my choice to renew my car parking space or see how I get on with the unwashed.

It's tricky, I like not having to leave the house until 40 minutes from kick off, however £360 is a fair bit of money - especially as the transport seems to be ticking over quite nicely.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

Spot on!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As someone whi takes P&R to games I am very pleased with this. Not sure I can afford us being promoted though!!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Judging by reading posts on NSC, a lot of people take advantage of the system. When I went from Brighton to Falmer, my travel voucher was never checked so I'm guessing a lot of people haven't bothered buying them.

If you don't like it, don't buy a season ticket. There are plenty of other people wanting to buy one.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Are the club paying a lump sum paid a season so that the travel companies allow fans through to use the systems without having to buy tickets directly from those companies? - if there arn't enough fans are buying travel vouchers, then the club has to make up the shortfall so its the club and not the railways that you are stealing from if thats the case.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
As one of those who bought the travel vouchers for this season, I will pay exactly the same next season. Regardless of that, the club have made the correct decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here