Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transport Levy....£30 confirmed as per NSC exclusive

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It seems reasonable to me. Of course some people will always moan no matter what the club does.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I don't get all this there would be complete chaos if tickets were checked. There would be no need to check every ticket at every game. If there was the potential for very visible spot checks then most people would go and buy a book of vouchers to avoid the embarassment of being refused onto the bus or being fined at the train barrier. One match check the Racecourse, another check the trains, another Mithras and so on. There would be a need at all to check after the game if checking was done on the way to the game. it's unlikely anyone is going to make their way to Falmer simply to get a free bus/train ride.

Like London had with bendy buses? If you KNOW tickets will probably be checked about 4 times a season then it's still worth the risk.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Havn't got much choice have I...it may not seem a lot paying £30 extra but when added to everything else thts going up then it matters....I don't use the current system and don't intend too...will it stop me buying a season ticket...nope

This.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
One group of fans who are currently GETTING free travel on Park & Ride buses or on the special buses from Shoreham, Portslade, Rottingdean, etc, are the holders of Concessionary Bus Passes issued by the councils. But they are not ENTITLED to free travel under the terms of the Bus Pass scheme - since the councils pay nothing towards the P&R services or special buses.

I thought the council subsidised Go Ahead or is that the central government? Either way, a good move by the club. I have free bus travel (as does my old man/football companion), but it is the only feasible scheme.

I would have thought people using somewhere like Virgin/Esporta to park are misusing the parking conditions, unless someone is left behind and uses the club facilities for 2 to 3 hours.

Having been a member, I am certain that they did not want people to abandon their cars for a couple of hours after they have finished using the facilities. One could nip in for a cup of tea at the cafe and then commute to London if that was not the case.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Excellent news, I spent £90 on travel vouchers this season for myself and two Grandsons, have not been asked once (Racecourse P/R) to hand a voucher in. Had to listen to countless people (Albion & away supporters) commenting on how brilliant it was not having to pay for transport to the Amex. The club have responded absolutely correctly due to the abuse of the system, if people are too blind to see that this is essential to the stadium and clubs progression, then tough shit. It reminds me of all the MP's during the expenses scandal claiming "I'm not in the wrong It's the fault of the system". Once again it's a case of the minority screwing it up for the majority. If they are going to whinge about it, fine, don't renew your season ticket then, there are plenty of people waiting to take your place. And to cap it all off I will be paying £30 less for next season as my two Grandsons will get the concessionary travel rate of £15 (there was no reduction for vouchers this season). So a little bit of justice being paid for by some of the so called fans who thought they were being clever by cheating the club. Thankyou Brighton & Hove Albion FC.

I thought the council subsidised Go Ahead or is that the central government? Either way, a good move by the club. I have free bus travel (as does my old man/football companion), but it is the only feasible scheme.
The money that gets distributed to bus companies for accepting the council's concessionary bus passes comes locally from a pot of funding that is fixed. That pot is shared out between all the operators that take part in the concessionary bus pass scheme - but the services that qualify have to meet very strictly regulated conditions. Football Park & Ride buses DON'T qualify. If free travel by bus pass holders using football P&R buses gets re-imbursed by the council, it is at the expense of the other bus companies in the scheme.

I happen to manage bus services that ARE in the concessionary bus pass scheme - so it's only fair to admit that my organisation has a vested interest in ensuring that money that is available from the council for our services doesn't get diverted into subsidising football fans. I'm sure the other bus companies that run in Brighton and Hove feel the same.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So all the car parking whingers were jumping the gun (as I suggests two days ago that the club may reduce the car parking charge) and the "I go by coach whingers" will also pay less next year to compensate.

Meanwhile, a certain poster seem to forget that his kids get subsidised every home game by the rest of the fans because they don't have to pay full price.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The money that gets distributed to bus companies for accepting the council's concessionary bus passes comes locally from a pot of funding that is fixed. That pot is shared out between all the operators that take part in the concessionary bus pass scheme - but the services that qualify have to meet very strictly regulated conditions. Football Park & Ride buses DON'T qualify. If free travel by bus pass holders using football P&R buses gets re-imbursed by the council, it is at the expense of the other bus companies in the scheme.

I happen to manage bus services that ARE in the concessionary bus pass scheme - so it's only fair to admit that my organisation has a vested interest in ensuring that money that is available from the council for our services doesn't get diverted into subsidising football fans. I'm sure the other bus companies that run in Brighton and Hove feel the same.

Ah, thank you. I had been trying to find out on various websites, but it was a minefield of gobbledegook. The answer was here on NSC. :)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
For those complaining because they don't use bus trains park and ride, surely the introduction of this levy will give you more pre/post match options ?

Jameson

Good idea and about time. I know lots of people who don't bother to buy vouchers and turn up for the P&R every week and say they've left them at home. I happily paid for it in my season ticket price last year so I think building the cost in is very sensible and will encourage existing and new seat people to use the correct transport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here