Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Translation costing public £100m

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
According to a BBC Article, the British public are spending more than £100m on translation costs.

I live in a Canadian city which is culturally diverse, and I appreciate that fact. However when I apply to become a Canadian resident I have to have an extensive knowledge of one or the other of the official Canadian languages (English or French).

I read in the article that a Bangladeshi woman who has lived in the UK for 22 years and does not speak English questioned this spending. Like WTF.!!!!!!

What on earth is she doing in the UK if she doesn't speak English. Apologies to those who think this might be racist, but I'm appalled by this.

If you emigrate to a country where a different language is spoken then you should learn to speak that language. I worked in Japan for over four years and made an effort to learn Japanese. Why can't these people who emigrate to the UK learn English.?

Because any politician or person with influence who suggests that immigrants learn English is immediately shot down by the vocal politically-correct minority for being a "racist".

Never mind the fact it's common sense. That would be silly to let common sense get in the way.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Mr C said:
Because any politician or person with influence who suggests that immigrants learn English is immediately shot down by the vocal politically-correct minority for being a "racist".

Never mind the fact it's common sense. That would be silly to let common sense get in the way.

And that is a very good point. Is there not a language test for those who want to emigrate to the UK, like there is for those who want to become Canadian residents.?

The problem with common sense is that it got thrown by the wayside when the term "Politically Correct" got invented by some numpty.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Of course, the English are renowned for their linguistic skills - how many of the people who have to Spain can speak Spanish?

And there were a couple of court cases where families who moved to Wales tried to force the local authorities to teach their children in English rather than Welsh.

Still, never let double standards get in the way of a good rant.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Gwylan said:
Of course, the English are renowned for their linguistic skills - how many of the people who have to Spain can speak Spanish?

And there were a couple of court cases where families who moved to Wales tried to force the local authorities to teach their children in English rather than Welsh.

Gwyl are you reffering to two weeks on the costas or complete relocation.

How do you feel when on public transport english is the vocal minority?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I'm pretty sure he's referring to complete relocation, Eldorado-stylee.

I get the 207 bus most days, where the most popular languages are (probably, I have no evidence for this) Polish, Punjabi, English and maybe Somalian.

Have to say it doesn't bother me much at all. Especially as may of these people can speak English anyway, they just prefer to use their mother tongue to speak to their family and friends.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Oh, and £100m a year is bugger all out of the UK's national income. Worth it to stop misunderstandings at the hospital that could lead to people dying, I reckon.

We probably shell out more for translation at the EU, where all documents have to be translated between about 18 different languages. Finnish to Maltese, anyone?

Last edited:

Gwylan said:

Not true about the Brits who now live in Spain most of them do make the effort to learn Spanish, Where my holiday home is Spanish lesson for Brits are always fully booked.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Mr C said:

you say that, but last night on the BBC news they interviewed a top human rights lawyer who said it was a disgrace that people were mollycoddled so much that they did not have to even learn to speak English. One woman they interviewed had been here 13 years and had never been to an English lesson in her life.

I personally think it is lazyness. In my wife's class there is a little Ethiopian refugee brought over with many families by the UNHCR and in the last 6 weeks from speaking nothing, she is deveoping such that she can now put together small sentances. Her mother and father as well as the rest of the group are currently having intensive lessons to enable them to try and live here and get work.

BTW it was a great idea by the UNHCR to "rescue " these poor unfortunates from a refugee camp in Kenya who were displaced by the Ethiopian government, but because it all appears to be going tits up as there was supposed to be more but they cant find them housing! And the support network is not there. One poor family is stuck in the arse end of Moulescombe, miles from the rest and with precious little English!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why would being on bus where most people be worrying in anyway?

In the grand scale of things £100m is very small amount of government spending and i'm sure there's more important and immorral ways that British governments have been wasting money but because this is to do with immigrants it becomes an easy issue to jump on

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
keaton said:
Why would being on bus where most people be worrying in anyway?

In the grand scale of things £100m is very small amount of government spending and i'm sure there's more important and immorral ways that British governments have been wasting money but because this is to do with immigrants it becomes an easy issue to jump on

Not worried - a tad intimidated or even irritated maybe. Are you saying that in travelling from a to b in your home town that it causes you to ponder if almost all of the conversation is in a foreign tongue.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Perry Milkins said:
Not worried - a tad intimidated or even irritated maybe. Are you saying that in travelling from a to b in your home town that it causes you to ponder if almost all of the conversation is in a foreign tongue.

Is that a question?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was on the 43 from London Bridge to Old Street yesterday and there was two young Russian laydeeeeees chatting away

they were mighty fine

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Personally I don't think it's about the money. £100m is peanuts for the government. However, the underlying issue here is why? We are trying to get the immigrant populations to integrate into society. Having no English skills is a barrier to this. It also shows a lack of respect to the country IMHO. I also include Brits abroad who act the same. Nothing worse that going to Spain on holiday to find out you are actually at home in another country.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Gwylan said:

And your point is?

You are comparing apples with bananas, English migrants to Spain are typically financially independent and emigrate - in the main- for a more hospitable climate, most of them sit around all day drinking and playing Golf.

The migrants we are accomodating in the UK from places like Bangladesh and African countries-in the main- are economic Migrants who come here with no little money and therefore should have the means to support themselves, I imagine an inability to speak English might hinder them in that.

English migrants who leave the UK to work in foreign countries do learn to speak the language of their destination country, otherwise they starve.

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
cannedheat said:
Not true about the Brits who now live in Spain most of them do make the effort to learn Spanish, Where my holiday home is Spanish lesson for Brits are always fully booked.

I know some people who move to Spain do make the effort to learnt the lingo but I doubt its most. An aunt and uncle of mine just moved out there and he has no intention of learning Spanish. Not beyond 'Dos cervaza por favor' anyway.

I bet the majority of long term (5 years+) immigrants to this country who still don't speak English are women of South Asian origin for all sorts of cultural reasons. I have no evidence for this but I'd be suprised if I was wrong.

Waiting for a bus at Palmeira square on Monday and I heard 4 languages being spoken - French, one Eastern European, Japanese and one African. No English. Makes being nosey really difficult.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
keaton said:
Is that a question?

Ok I forgot the question mark. I submit to your overpowering eloquence and articulation. Please go easy on me and keep the stabbing put down to a non hurtful jab.

I normally post inane drivel here so please god do not rub my face in it will you. I know that your fingers are twitching ready to unleash a powerful and balanced responses on foreign language discussions on buses.

I think you already carved me in two with pointing out that you were confused a to whether I had questioned you.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Perry Milkins said:
Ok I forgot the question mark. I submit to your overpowering eloquence and articulation. Please go easy on me and keep the stabbing put down to a non hurtful jab.

I normally post inane drivel here so please god do not rub my face in it will you. I know that your fingers are twitching ready to unleash a powerful and balanced responses on foreign language discussions on buses.

I think you already carved me in two with pointing out that you were confused a to whether I had questioned you.

Er. I'm sorry i wasn't talking about the lack of question mark. just that "Are you saying that in travelling from a to b in your home town that it causes you to ponder if almost all of the conversation is in a foreign tongue" if i read it right is strange question and i don't know why i was asked it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here