Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Translation costing public £100m

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
And your point is?

You are comparing apples with bananas, English migrants to Spain are typically financially independent and emigrate - in the main- for a more hospitable climate, most of them sit around all day drinking and playing Golf.

You are so wrong in saying this. There are around a million aged Brits living in Spain who regularly use the Spanish health service for free for their everyday elderly requirements. They are a massive burden on the Spanish system (you can imagine how much a million or so wrinklies are going to cost to any health system..their needs are fairly high). Very very few of them have or are willing to use their private insurance as the EU entitles them to a free service. I was told the figure per day and it was shocking. They might be paying their way on the golf course but they are draining the Spanish health service. It is a massive problem for Spain. One thing they are denied is home helpers, and the Spanish expats in one area mounted a campaign to try and get this for free as well.

So, next time anyone takes time to criticise a hard working tax paying Pole in this country, remember that our elderly expats in Spain are a much greater burden. And having been to Tenerife a while back they are also a bloody embarassment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO the reason the English do not learn the languages abroad is because 'English' and derivations of it, is the most spoken 2nd language spoken through out the world. So it is assumed that most children and young people coming from educated countries, obviously not 3rd world countries, will be able to speak English.

Incidentally Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken 1st Language.

Following on from this Europe wanta single currency and want us to join, why not have a single language, as above English. How many countries in Europe do NOT teach English at schools?

Bevendean Hillbilly said:
...unless I knew that upon my arrival I had a community from my country already there who would accomodate me, get me sorted out with benifits, arrange my paperwork and then assign me an interpreter whenever I needed free medical care or more money....
Here, we go, the same old immigrant-hating bollocks, they come here, go on benefits, blah, blah, f***ing blah.

Look, the immigrant cultures who are usually the one who don't learn English from birth in their homelands, eg. Asian, Polish, etc are usually the most entrepreneurial and hard-working when they get here.

Everyone knows that older, 1st-generation immigrants do find it hard to learn English, it's the old dog, new tricks thing - you see exactly the same with ageing Brits retiring abroad and bollocks do they learn the local language.

I don't have a problem with these older folks settling here not prioritising their days learning English, they usually are concentrating on being homemakers anyway like many Asian ladies from traditional families. As long as they concentrate on bringing their kids up right and putting their effort into their families, then it's not a problem.

At my newsagents, I also see two friendly faces, one is young, has a trace of Indian accent but speaks English well and deals with all the customers. The other is older, doesn't speak English but smiles and nods a lot, either his dad or uncle. He does the heavy work, lifting stacks of papers, putting out stock, etc, etc. Next time I'm in there shall I tell old bloke as he's humping all my magazines and drinks that he is a disgrace to the cause of integration in this country and that he is threatening our way of life? :angry:

Everyone knows young 1st-generation immigrants learn English quickly. Everyone knows 2nd-generation immigrants learn English perfectly well and in a lot of cases better than some of the "locals". Leave those oldies who are set in their ways alone.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
Here, we go, the same old immigrant-hating bollocks, they come here, go on benefits, blah, blah, f***ing blah.

Just a shame we dont look after some of our own the same way we look after some of the immigrants eh! Maybe some of the money we spend on them could be spent looking after the welfare of our disabled?

British Bulldog said:
Just a shame we dont look after some of our own the same way we look after some of the immigrants eh! Maybe some of the money we spend on them could be spent looking after the welfare of our disabled?

When they come and live in this country and work hard whether in salaried jobs, in business or as homemakers, they are "your own".

As for spending more money on the NHS to help the disabled, great idea, but without the hard work of those people who you don't regard as "your own", I worry that you wouldn't have a national health service in the first place.

I can certainly tell from the accent of my GP serving my bit of Brighton that he wasn't born here!

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay. I challenge someone to get up at 4 a.m. and pop up to London.

Buy a breakfast, call a cab, pop along to a newsagents and then go to casualty at any hospital

If you don't bump into an immigrant working the hours that a British born person wouldn't get out of bed for then I'll pay for your breakfast.

It's people like these immigrants that keep this country ticking over.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
When they come and live in this country and work hard whether in salaried jobs, in business or as homemakers, they are "your own". As for spending more money on the NHS to help the disabled, without the hard work of those people who you don't regard as "your own", you wouldn't have a national health service in the first place.

Well you try explaining that to my brother & sister who both have MS and still have to pay for they're medication, yet where my brother lives in Southampton in an area full of immigrants there's a well known scam amongst them, if they find a broken electrical domestic appliance thats been thrown out all they have to do is take it down the social and say it's theirs and they get the money for a new one! Thats really fair is'nt it!!

British Bulldog said:
Well you try explaining that to my brother & sister who both have MS and still have to pay for they're medication

The health service is far from perfect and I'm sorry to hear about the situation of your kin. But it's the drive towards a low-taxation economy that can't adequately fund the demands of the health service that is causing that, not some low-level scams on sink estates.

Vote Tory and the NHS will get a lot worse with more rapid privatisation, vote Labour and it will get a little bit worse with creeping privatisation - that's the choice your political masters give you about health service funding. Course we all know what to vote if you want to blame it all on the immigrants :rolleyes:

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
The health service is far from perfect and I'm sorry to hear about the situation of your kin. But it's the drive towards a low-taxation economy that can't adequately fund the demands of the health service that is causing that, not some low-level scams on sink estates.

Vote Tory and the NHS will get a lot worse with more rapid privatisation, vote Labour and it will get a little bit worse with creeping privatisation - that's the choice your political masters give you about health service funding. Course we all know what to vote if you want to blame it all on the immigrants :rolleyes:

Yeah I am leaning towards BNP in my politics these days and i've every reason too, I am fed up with immigrants getting too many favours in this country when our own are suffering. It's all very well people posting on here with all they're PC shit about we cant offend immigrants but when was the last time the PC twats pushed a wheelchair into the Withdean? Or on a march on Brighton seafront at the LIb DEM conference? Well I have and if it was'nt for people like my sister the Brighton disabled fans would'nt have half the conditions that they have got now! How many of the PC brigade have even been on the BODS link? Have they ever sat in the disabled section of the ground? The answer is no! But as long as we dont offend immigrants it's fine!

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Buzzer said:
Okay. I challenge someone to get up at 4 a.m. and pop up to London.

Buy a breakfast, call a cab, pop along to a newsagents and then go to casualty at any hospital

If you don't bump into an immigrant working the hours that a British born person wouldn't get out of bed for then I'll pay for your breakfast.

It's people like these immigrants that keep this country ticking over.

So what should we do? Give them a round of applause or something? I've lived here all my life and worked them hours so why should I worry about immigrants doing it? If they want to move here then they work they're right to do so just like I would do if I moved abroad!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
London Irish said:

:nono: so who would u vote for then?

Chicken Run said:
:nono: so who would u vote for then?
Labour - least worst option. And no, I'm not happy it about it either.

British Bulldog said:
Well I have and if it was'nt for people like my sister the Brighton disabled fans would'nt have half the conditions that they have got now!
Good for her, she sounds a brave lady. But I wonder how many ignorant people have dismissed her campaigns for disabled rights, like access to sports stadia, as a PC agenda.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
BensGrandad said:
English... is the most spoken 2nd language spoken through out the world.

Not true. Some surveys say more people speak Hindi than English, so English is third. And others say more people speak Spanish. Either way, English is never "most spoken 2nd language spoken".

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=559562

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Whats that blokes name again ??? the guy from the midlands....... he was a politician..........back in the sixties .........wanted to give loads of people money about a grand each i think..........oh hell its on the tip of my tongue !!!! :p

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
London Irish said:

Everyone knows that older, 1st-generation immigrants do find it hard to learn English, it's the old dog, new tricks thing - you see exactly the same with ageing Brits retiring abroad and bollocks do they learn the local language.

I don't have a problem with these older folks settling here not prioritising their days learning English, they usually are concentrating on being homemakers anyway like many Asian ladies from traditional families.

Everyone knows young 1st-generation immigrants learn English quickly. Everyone knows 2nd-generation immigrants learn English perfectly well and in a lot of cases better than some of the "locals". Leave those oldies who are set in their ways alone.

So it's OK for you that Colonel Blimp can retire to Spain and communicate with the locals by speaking English, just louder and slower?

When I was in Japan I typically worked a 11-12 hour day on a highly stressful project yet still fitted in 2 Japanese lessons a week. I find English people who live abroad and don't learn the language an embarresment - and I think the same about anyone who comes to England and doesn't bother to learn English. Doesn't matter whether they're 7 or 70, running a consultancy, plumbing the loo or making tea for their grandson.

I think what you are saying is either there's a cut-off beyond which learning is impossible (which is garbage) or Brits abroad should learn their local language but it's fine for Indians / Pakistanis not to (which is racist).

Last edited:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
If they come to this country they should learn to speak English.

If an English person moves to Spain they should learn Spanish.

If a legal or non legal document requires translation the person should pay for this.

If I require a legal or non legal document to be translated from English to Italian I would have to pay for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
British Bulldog said:

it's a great shame that 'our own' are not as educated or as hard working as most immigrants. It's a shame 'our own' dont pay as many taxes as immigrants.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This is an excellent post, spot in just about every respect and well worth quoting again. Well f***ing said.
London Irish said:

Look, the immigrant cultures who are usually the one who don't learn English from birth in their homelands, eg. Asian, Polish, etc are usually the most entrepreneurial and hard-working when they get here.

I don't have a problem with these older folks settling here not prioritising their days learning English, they usually are concentrating on being homemakers anyway like many Asian ladies from traditional families. As long as they concentrate on bringing their kids up right and putting their effort into their families, then it's not a problem.

At my newsagents, I also see two friendly faces, one is young, has a trace of Indian accent but speaks English well and deals with all the customers. The other is older, doesn't speak English but smiles and nods a lot, either his dad or uncle. He does the heavy work, lifting stacks of papers, putting out stock, etc, etc. Next time I'm in there shall I tell old bloke as he's humping all my magazines and drinks that he is a disgrace to the cause of integration in this country and that he is threatening our way of life? :angry:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
London Irish said:

How dare you tell me that I am a migrant hater you sanctimonious prick!

My point is not that migrants are not needed, far from it, all I was saying is that the imperative to learn English in order to become fully integrated lies with the migrant.

If you, or anyone else, reckons that people arriving here into a well established cultural group where they can remain in isolation, enjoying the freedoms that attracted them in the first place, whilst continuing to live entirely separate lives from the host community is benificial long term I am happy to listen to your rationale.

I am very pleased that you have experienced positive, engaged people from outside the UK in your local shop, thats OK , but surely you have only proved my point.

The people who remain culturally and linguistically isolated should aspire to exactly that and then we can all move on together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here