Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day no. 1

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Because others have strengthened some significantly from the top of my head I can think of 12 points we aren’t realistically going to get now compared to last season. The frustrating part is if we go down we also would of been so close to pushing on up the table had we added two or three to help the squad.

I can think of one team who spent significantly this summer - a £20m striker , £15m full back, and a couple of premier league experienced free transfers who went straight into the first team.
We beat them 3-0 away from home.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
It’s disappointing but I’ve got to be honest it’s just adding to an overall feeling of apathy about the Albion and football in general this season. Armchair supporting is losing its appeal fast and a lack of signings hasn’t helped.

We’ve clearly signalled that Bloom is content to gamble and risk skirting very closely to relegation again rather than invest that extra £30m on a Wilson or Watkins type striker that would have hugely increased our chances of retaining £160m+ Prem money for the following season. At the end of the day it’s Tony’s money and he can do what he likes.

Time will tell if the gamble pays off.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ah so we didn’t need back up to Maupay but now another £20M+ starting striker. Which would have helped us with the lack of goals despite scoring against Chelsea, 3 against Man Utd, 2 against Everton, 3 against Newcastle.

Unfortunately we’ve also conceded 4 against Man Utd, 3 against Chelsea, 4 against Everton.

But definitely a £25M+ striker would fix all our problems. Even though our current one has scored as many if not more than the ones mentioned.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The only realistic player on the market that other teams (on our level) got that I would like are Watkins and Barkley.

I expect their wage demands were astronomical. I would be surprised if we didn’t at least have discussions with Ollie though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s quite frightening really the juxtaposition of fans 4 or 5 months ago or so raging at players for not taking pay cuts, or clubs not supporting staff. Now raging that big money signings (on big wages - go figure) aren’t being made.

Why would any player take a pay cut in this crazy business? :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s disappointing but I’ve got to be honest it’s just adding to an overall feeling of apathy about the Albion and football in general this season. Armchair supporting is losing its appeal fast and a lack of signings hasn’t helped.

We’ve clearly signalled that Bloom is content to gamble and risk skirting very closely to relegation again rather than invest that extra £30m on a Wilson or Watkins type striker that would have hugely increased our chances of retaining £160m+ Prem money for the following season. At the end of the day it’s Tony’s money and he can do what he likes.

How do we know how much Bloom’s businesses and investments have suffered over the pandemic? I mean he may well have £30m + salary to risk on them improving us enough to stay up and it’s purely a calculated risk as whether to spend it or not, or there simply isn’t that money to put into the club right now.

We’re all bloody good at running football clubs on these boards aren’t we.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Ah so we didn’t need back up to Maupay but now another £20M+ starting striker. Which would have helped us with the lack of goals despite scoring against Chelsea, 3 against Man Utd, 2 against Everton, 3 against Newcastle.

Unfortunately we’ve also conceded 4 against Man Utd, 3 against Chelsea, 4 against Everton.

But definitely a £25M+ striker would fix all our problems. Even though our current one has scored as many if not more than the ones mentioned.

3 against Man U? I must have missed the third?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
How do we know how much Bloom’s businesses and investments have suffered over the pandemic? I mean he may well have £30m + salary to risk on them improving us enough to stay up and it’s purely a calculated risk as whether to spend it or not, or there simply isn’t that money to put into the club right now.

We’re all bloody good at running football clubs on these boards aren’t we.

I have no idea how Bloom has fared. We offered £25m for Nunez by all accounts and apparently have just spent £10m on two Polish kids so some money seems to be available.

But like I said it’s Blooms money and it’s up to him.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I'm sort of on the fence here after an indifferent window. We did some (potentially) good business with Adam if he stays fit, and made a solid buy with Veltman. The other "ins" are probably punts for the future - unless we are very, very lucky. On the "outs", I wonder if saving wages was a high priority.

Our previously stated aim of aspiring to the top half of the league (or however it was expressed) is on the back burner for now. That's how I interpret this transfer window. Its going to be a bit bumpy this Season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is the loan window still open until the 16th. If this is the case then perhaps the intention is to get a decent loan in when the dust settles and bigger clubs start offering loans out
Not a loan window.

It's a domestic transfer window where permanent deals are possible.

No PL-PL deals though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We earn £115m from the PL a season, whilst year one in the Championship yields about £45m in parachute and broadcasting income.

The vast majority of the £115m swallowed up by PL level player wages.

The often bandied about £200m or £160m is a Talkport/Sky exaggeration about the playoff winners, where they tot up several future years for a club that stays in the PL for just one season.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
This is very un NSC, I am still waiting for someone to go the whole hog and call this transfer window an absolute SHAMBLES. :wink:

This transfer window has been an absolute SHAMBLES.

There, now we have at least one happy member of NSC today! Glad to have been of assistance😂

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Well, I think we have done well, brought in some very good players, got rid of some high earners and we have the best squad we have ever had. Plus in these times we have been sensible on spending. Bloom always said we would be using our academy and progress young players. Of course we could spend millions on a team last year, bin most of them and spend even more this year on a new team (Villa) and flout FFP rules. We are a community football club punching way above where we should be, be happy with that and try and enjoy these strange times and remember we have a superb club run by professional people, who actually know what they are doing. Also who remembers a player called Peter Ward who costed 4K, he was not bad, so 3 million for an unknown striker, could be a nice gamble. All buys are risks and then the extra outlay of wages and think we know we have a wage cap, so we will never get the mercenary players ( thank god ). Yes in summary, happy with where we are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Well, I think we have done well, brought in some very good players, got rid of some high earners and we have the best squad we have ever had. Plus in these times we have been sensible on spending. Bloom always said we would be using our academy and progress young players. Of course we could spend millions on a team last year, bin most of them and spend even more this year on a new team (Villa) and flout FFP rules. We are a community football club punching way above where we should be, be happy with that and try and enjoy these strange times and remember we have a superb club run by professional people, who actually know what they are doing. Also who remembers a player called Peter Ward who costed 4K, he was not bad, so 3 million for an unknown striker, could be a nice gamble. All buys are risks and then the extra outlay of wages and think we know we have a wage cap, so we will never get the mercenary players ( thank god ). Yes in summary, happy with where we are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with that. As Potter said, it's easy to get lured into thinking you HAVE to buy new players all the time. If I look at the squad now, compared to last year, there are loads of positives (Ben White, Tariq Lamptey, Adam Lallana....plus the likes of Connolly, Bissouma, Alzate, Webster and Trossard have all improved). Even Ali J and Mac Allister look like they will progress. Veltman is a very decent reserve right back or centre back. March is looking more comfortable at wing back. I could go on....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here