Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day no. 1

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
What do you suggest? Do we need Tony Bloom to step aside for someone with deeper pockets?

I’m really struggling with what it is the board think .one min it’s dreams of top ten from the chairman next it’s buying strikers from Swiss league two while others invest for the here and now . Let’s see how the season pans out . But if that’s what’s needed then as painful fly as it is for some on here then maybe that is the next step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Correct me if I’m wrong but the ‘top 10’ statement was before the world went to shit I think?
There is a very real chance that clubs will go out of business in the next 12-18 months, big clubs. I think Tony is trying to make sure we’re not one of them.

I am far more uncomfortable with Arsenal firing low paid staff on the same day they drop £45m on the latest overhyped nobody. I’m glad our club isn’t doing that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I took that from Mr B when he likes to garble on Talkshite, one minute the club is full of top ten ambition, a bad run and he’s quoting we used to play at Withdean what do you expect.. nauseating.

Your "Tony Bloom is shit" obsession is nauseating.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I’m really struggling with what it is the board think .one min it’s dreams of top ten from the chairman next it’s buying strikers from Swiss league two while others invest for the here and now . Let’s see how the season pans out . But if that’s what’s needed then as painful fly as it is for some on here then maybe that is the next step

I think your problem is a struggle to grasp the realities of owning a premier league football club when the world is going to rat shit.

Fortunately for the rest of us you just get to post bolllocks on hear ... but if it keeps you off the streets then it is a cross that nsc can bare.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

And we laugh at Leeds & Sheff Weds fans for their feelings of entitlement!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Maybe if you’d taken on board the fact that top ten is an ambition not something expected this season you might not be struggling so much.

I was guilty of “what is the point of the academy” comments before it started producing, but now it clearly is and this Swiss striker and two from Poland are with eyes on the future, with eyes on the top 10. Whether we have to go down to come back stronger is a moot point. Time will tell, personally I think we have just about enough to stay up this season, then we may see more quality coming into the first team from these bought and loaned back/out or into the development squad players

NOTHING is guaranteed though.

I am enjoying the ride

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Pull yourself together.

You know full well that Tony Bloom has the best interests of this club running through him like 'Brighton' through rock. If you don't understand why he is buying youngsters from obscure leagues, perhaps his uniquely successful sports betting company and associated worldwide analytics set up would allow you to give him the leeway to invest his own money in the way he thinks is best for the club's future. It may just be that he is working on more knowledge than you or I have.

To even think of suggesting that he be replaced by someone who will spend money to get you the shiny new toys that you demand irrespective of the risk to the future of the club speaks little for your understanding of what we've all been through to get to this stage. Did you not at times during the late nineties wonder whether the club would still be there for future generations in Sussex to support? I know I did, and I know it was very much on the mind of those Brighton fans who I spoke to. It was obviously on the mind of all of those of us who stepped up in whatever small way we could to stop it from happening.

Tony Bloom was one of those and he has made it very clear in everything he has said and done since becoming chairman that he understands the importance of the football club to the people of Sussex. His first duty in his stewardship is to ensure the survival of the club for future generations and, putting aside his massive generosity, he has shown himself, like Dick Knight before him, to be someone who the people of Sussex can put their trust in to do this.

If he doesn't think spending loads at this window is the right thing to do, trust that he has his reasons and that the reasons are in the best interest of Brighton & Hove Albion. This isn't some football manager game, where you can find a cheat code, and get just what you want without consequences. Portsmouth's fall was spectacular and their fans are lucky to still have them. Other communities haven't been so lucky.

In terms of ownership, we are the envy of virtually every club our size in the country, not just because of Bloom's money, but because of how he chooses to spend it and, when necessary, not spend it. He has given us every reason to believe that he will never sell the soul of this club and, if you had any sense of history, you would be thanking your lucky stars for every moment he chooses to continue the incredible job he is doing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I thought this would eventually arise. The 'Ego Entry' was due.

So any further investment would comply with FFP ? So would you be happy with a foreign investor to make Albion their plaything so we can move a few places up the league ? (which isn't guaranteed anyway).

Someone else to spunk their money to raise your club ego ?

I've never been prouder of the club than I am now. Owned by a sensible fan who has invested millions to make a club we can always admire.

They'll make errors, as will always happen. But Premier League or Championship it's truly Brighton & Hove Albion, Not Beijing & Hanoi Albion.

If the club gets sold to capital investors intent on making a buck, regardless of success, then I'm off.

It is what it is. Ten years ago we had just drawn 1-1 at Tranmere Rovers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Do you understand what a long term goal is?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I am far more uncomfortable with Arsenal firing low paid staff on the same day they drop £45m on the latest overhyped nobody. I’m glad our club isn’t doing that.

Well said. Whilst many of us may agree with Shankly's quip that football is more serious than a matter of life or death, we should try to remember that there are far more important things than winning or losing at it.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Pull yourself together.

You know full well that Tony Bloom has the best interests of this club running through him like 'Brighton' through rock. If you don't understand why he is buying youngsters from obscure leagues, perhaps his uniquely successful sports betting company and associated worldwide analytics set up would allow you to give him the leeway to invest his own money in the way he thinks is best for the club's future. It may just be that he is working on more knowledge than you or I have.

To even think of suggesting that he be replaced by someone who will spend money to get you the shiny new toys that you demand irrespective of the risk to the future of the club speaks little for your understanding of what we've all been through to get to this stage. Did you not at times during the late nineties wonder whether the club would still be there for future generations in Sussex to support? I know I did, and I know it was very much on the mind of those Brighton fans who I spoke to. It was obviously on the mind of all of those of us who stepped up in whatever small way we could to stop it from happening.

Tony Bloom was one of those and he has made it very clear in everything he has said and done since becoming chairman that he understands the importance of the football club to the people of Sussex. His first duty in his stewardship is to ensure the survival of the club for future generations and, putting aside his massive generosity, he has shown himself, like Dick Knight before him, to be someone who the people of Sussex can put their trust in to do this.

If he doesn't think spending loads at this window is the right thing to do, trust that he has his reasons and that the reasons are in the best interest of Brighton & Hove Albion. This isn't some football manager game, where you can find a cheat code, and get just what you want without consequences. Portsmouth's fall was spectacular and their fans are lucky to still have them. Other communities haven't been so lucky.

In terms of ownership, we are the envy of virtually every club our size in the country, not just because of Bloom's money, but because of how he chooses to spend it and, when necessary, not spend it. He has given us every reason to believe that he will never sell the soul of this club and, if you had any sense of history, you would be thanking your lucky stars for every moment he chooses to continue the incredible job he is doing.

Zzzzzzzzs thanx my barber I’ll try to remember all that

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Zzzzzzzzs thanx my barber I’ll try to remember all that

I don't think I am your barber, but I know things are difficult during Covid, so if it's just a trim, I'll give it a stab.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What’s a long term goal? Do you know?

Is it what Palace hope to get twice a season in return for Benteke's £5M+ salary?

(A glib answer I know, but also evidence that buying big money strikers may not lead to an immediate top ten finish, which I think supports your argument.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here