Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traffic Wardens - Be warned!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Parked illegally then you deserve a ticket. If it's on private land then you shouldn't get one and presumably you would challenge it. Assume you have got the landowners permission to park there?

you kinda missed the point: there are ticket wardens who will issue tickets to legally parked vehicles, enter the details, print the ticket and then throw it away. they get a tick towards their target, you get a shit load of hassle. they are a necessary evil else some towns would be chocked full, but theres a large proportion of power hungry arsholes in the job.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You should try delivering from a lorry in the City. They'll pull any trick to get you nicked.

I would also like to see some very draconian action taken against the lazy bastards who double park to save them 'wasting time' when the want a paper or a packet of fags.

Does anyone remember the streets around Hove Town Hall before they introduced on-street parking charges and wardens to enforce the restrictions?

Double parking was EVERYWHERE. The problem was TRIPLE parking.

Paying to park might not be the motorist's favourite, but at least it's now possible to get a legally parked car out of a parking space when you want to drive off, rather than having to wait an hour until some selfish bastard decides he'll move his vehicle.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Quite right. I also get pissed of with supposedly disabled people who park on a single yellow and then walk all the way around town carrying shopping and the like. Blue badges should be for the genuinely disabled and misuse should result in hefty fines. Repeated misuse should see bans.

Could'nt agree more I dont like to see misuse of blue badges myself but unfortunately like a lot of things they get abused, Misuse can lead to a fine of up to £1000 and persistant misuse can lead to them being confiscated. Bit of a shame they dont threaten similar fines to people who steal the disabled parking spots just to even things up a bit though.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i get on average about 6 tickets a week, my record was 3 in one day......and 6 in a week.
i'm a service engineer, i work in peoples houses. i dont pay the tickets, my company does but it still gets my back up.
i HAVE to park near the property im working in.
if i can help it, i never park illeagally but on occasion i have no choice. i had a job in hanover the other day (lincoln road/street i think) i couldn't legally park within 1/4 mile of the house i was working in?

some of the roads i have jobs in are permit only...what am i supposed to do?
i even got a ticket recently cos i was parked on a double yellow painted outside someones drive. i asked why.....he said because i was obstructing the persons driveway, i explained that the driveway i was parked over belonged to the house i was working in......it didnt matter to the warden, i got a ticket anyway.
there is NO common sence FFS

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I used to be a parking attendant, I was doing it for 2 and a half years in Hove, so if any of you got tickets from 535. :wave:

I know everything about parking restrictions, so if you want to know anything... and not the bollocks that I've read in here so far. :thumbsup:

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
i get on average about 6 tickets a week, my record was 3 in one day......and 6 in a week.
i'm a service engineer,

some of the roads i have jobs in are permit only...what am i supposed to do?

Park as close as you can, unload as quick as you can and get a sack truck for contingencies or pay the fine, bit of a pisser but that's the way it is.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Like I said earlier I've no problems with ticketing illegally parked cars especially if they are blocking the roads but there is so much wrong with the scheme as its designed to make money by creating problems.

And

Why should you pay on a Sunday?

Why do wardens have to walk around in pairs?

Why do you have to pay after 6pm in some spaces but across the road or round the corner its free.

Why can't the council run it directly?

Why can't the machines give change?

Why is there a restriction on the number of Traders permits?

Why can't local residents get a permit that covers the whole of brighton so we can visit friends and families rather than one that just lets you park outside your house.

Before the parking scheme Preston Street was full of small busy local independent restaurants and bars. The parking scheme has killed them as it sent all the customers down the marina for the free parking and where all the same old same old corporate nationally run restaurants are.

This is our city and we have to work and live in it, we need small locally run independent shops giving work to Sussex people

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I got fed up with the total gridlock on Brighton Seafront at the weekend. Much of the open space (Old Steine/Kings Lawns) are surrounded by stationary cars sitting motionless. The sooner the car is moved out of the City the better. Why on earth do people insist on sitting in cars for so long on a nice summers day? I couldn't think of much worse.

Massive failure not to setup a decent park and ride scheme to the West, North and East. Brighton would be a lot nicer without so much traffic. Lack of pedestrianised areas is another catastrophic failure of the previous administrations.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Brighton would be a lot nicer without so much traffic.

Agreed. Would make it much easier and quicker to nip into town without sitting in a sodding traffic jam.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
does that justify those that note down registrations then issue a ticket once you've actually gone (within the allocated time)? or those that ticket cars on private land becasue they apparently cant read and have no concept of where the actual road end and private property starts?

Much as I hate to defend wardens - this can't happen. They take a photo of the car with the ticket on to prove they issued it. I know because I got one but some bastard removed it from my windscreen. First I knew was the fine doubling and a nasty letter. I challenged it saying I never received the ticket and they sent me the photos.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I got fed up with the total gridlock on Brighton Seafront at the weekend. Much of the open space (Old Steine/Kings Lawns) are surrounded by stationary cars sitting motionless. The sooner the car is moved out of the City the better. Why on earth do people insist on sitting in cars for so long on a nice summers day? I couldn't think of much worse.

Massive failure not to setup a decent park and ride scheme to the West, North and East. Brighton would be a lot nicer without so much traffic. Lack of pedestrianised areas is another catastrophic failure of the previous administrations.
As discussed last week, being caught in said traffic jams sitting on a sweltering #26 next to a fat, sweaty bloke is much worse. At least in a car you've got your own space.

As to why do they do it, it's because they want to come to Brighton. Why else do you think they're there? (Agree with you about the need for proper Park 'n' Ride). The current traffic management policy is enough to make driving unpleasant but not enough to stop it. There are a number of reasons for this, not least a council which manages to be timid and cowardly on one hand and spiteful on the other. And as you say, not just this current council.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
The sooner the car is moved out of the City the better. Why on earth do people insist on sitting in cars for so long on a nice summers day? I couldn't think of much worse.

One of the highlights of a cyclist's existence, flowing through sweaty, frustrated lemmings sitting in tailbacks along the Old Steine.
:thumbsup:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I only have one problem with this - and it's not with the wardens. Shit job, someone has to do it.

What annoys me is the pricing structure. Round here, 50p for half an hour or £1.30 for two hours.

In a lot of places in London, you can at least buy the amount of parking you want. So every coin gives a proportion of the maximum stay. If you only need an hour, you only pay for an hour. If you're short of change, you can just use what you have.

The meters down here - certainly some of them at least - appear to be capable of that. You can only conclude that imposing rigid set amounts is a way of squeezing more money out of drivers, rather than improving the parking situation overall.

As it is, I point blank refuse to pay 50p any time I need to park my car (safely) for a couple of minutes. So I just don't bother. If I get a ticket, it'll still work out cheaper in the long run.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Much as I hate to defend wardens - this can't happen. They take a photo of the car with the ticket on to prove they issued it.

i know they are supposed to take a photo, but its not required. the ticketing off street happend to a friend of mine who had to go to court, they didnt have any photo (which would have shown the car off the road) but fortunatly he did take one. he had to take a day off work for 2 minutes as the court through out the councils claim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here