Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The suppression of cases would have been by the Government, not by the people who supply the data to the Government.
government isn't the only organisation collecting and tracking the data though, revisions and deltas would show discrepencies. a lot of effort goes into checking this data, looking for patterns that might indicate what is happening.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"He’s gone full Trump’: Tories turn on Boris Johnson over Partygate

Tory support for Boris Johnson is draining away tonight as party grandees likened his response to a cross-party parliamentary inquiry into whether he misled MPs over “Partygate” to the lies of former US president Donald Trump.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No wonder half the country thought they would die....

Matt Hancock wanted to “deploy” a new Covid variant to “frighten the pants off” the publicand ensure they complied with lockdown, leaked messages seen by The Telegraph have revealed.

The Lockdown Files – more than 100,000 WhatsApp messages sent between ministers, officials and others – show how the Government used scare tactics to force compliance and push through lockdowns.

In another message Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary, said that “the fear/ guilt factor” was “vital” in “ramping up the messaging” during the third national lockdown in Jan 2021.

The previous month, Matt Hancock, the then health secretary, appeared to suggest in one message that a new strain of Covid that had recently emerged would be helpful in preparing the ground for the looming lockdown, by scaring people into compliance.

In a WhatsApp conversation on Dec 13, obtained by The Telegraph, Damon Poole - one of Mr Hancock’s media advisers - informed his boss that Tory MPs were “furious already about the prospect” of stricter Covid measures and suggested “we can roll pitch with the new strain”.

The comment suggested that they believed the strain could be helpful in preparing the ground for a future lockdown and tougher restrictions in the run-up to Christmas 2020.

Mr Hancock then replied: “We frighten the pants off everyone with the new strain.”

Mr Poole agreed, saying: “Yep that’s what will get proper bahviour [sic] change.”

The discussion came two days after Mr Hancock was informed of the emergence of a new variant – known as alpha or the Kent variant, in Dec 2020. A surge in cases later led to the effective cancellation of Christmas on Dec 19.

Mr Hancock expressed his worry that talks over Brexit would dominate headlines and reduce the impact, and probed Mr Poole for his media advice. “When do we deploy the new variant,” asked Mr Hancock.

During the pandemic, the Government was accused of scaremongering but it was denied, with Mr Hancock’s department saying such accusations were “misleading”.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"He’s gone full Trump’: Tories turn on Boris Johnson over Partygate

Tory support for Boris Johnson is draining away tonight as party grandees likened his response to a cross-party parliamentary inquiry into whether he misled MPs over “Partygate” to the lies of former US president Donald Trump.
The overwhelming dossier of evidence is mounting and becoming more and more indefensible by the second.

He’s a goner. Sh

Matt Hancock wanted to “deploy” a new Covid variant to “frighten the pants off” the publicand ensure they complied with lockdown, leaked messages seen by The Telegraph have revealed.

The Lockdown Files – more than 100,000 WhatsApp messages sent between ministers, officials and others – show how the Government used scare tactics to force compliance and push through lockdowns.

In another message Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary, said that “the fear/ guilt factor” was “vital” in “ramping up the messaging” during the third national lockdown in Jan 2021.

The previous month, Matt Hancock, the then health secretary, appeared to suggest in one message that a new strain of Covid that had recently emerged would be helpful in preparing the ground for the looming lockdown, by scaring people into compliance.

In a WhatsApp conversation on Dec 13, obtained by The Telegraph, Damon Poole - one of Mr Hancock’s media advisers - informed his boss that Tory MPs were “furious already about the prospect” of stricter Covid measures and suggested “we can roll pitch with the new strain”.

The comment suggested that they believed the strain could be helpful in preparing the ground for a future lockdown and tougher restrictions in the run-up to Christmas 2020.

Mr Hancock then replied: “We frighten the pants off everyone with the new strain.”

Mr Poole agreed, saying: “Yep that’s what will get proper bahviour [sic] change.”

The discussion came two days after Mr Hancock was informed of the emergence of a new variant – known as alpha or the Kent variant, in Dec 2020. A surge in cases later led to the effective cancellation of Christmas on Dec 19.

Mr Hancock expressed his worry that talks over Brexit would dominate headlines and reduce the impact, and probed Mr Poole for his media advice. “When do we deploy the new variant,” asked Mr Hancock.

During the pandemic, the Government was accused of scaremongering but it was denied, with Mr Hancock’s department saying such accusations were “misleading”.
f***ing Hell.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Rupert will be effing furious
Exactly.

The problem with leaking these messages to the Telegraph are two fold. Hancock was very hawkish in terms of lockdown and the Telegraph very much wasn't.

We have very short memories but the reality was it was very much in-between. Releasing one side of the argument like this doesn't really add to anything and neither does just posting the bits that fit with your view of things.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly.

The problem with leaking these messages to the Telegraph are two fold. Hancock was very hawkish in terms of lockdown and the Telegraph very much wasn't.

We have very short memories but the reality was it was very much in-between. Releasing one side of the argument like this doesn't really add to anything and neither does just posting the bits that fit with your view of things.

There's more and more coming out about them not being honest with the stats and hiding data to scare the public.

I'm also not sure that laughing about people being fined and Locked up in a hotel is a great look

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There's more and more coming out about them not being honest with the stats and hiding data to scare the public.

I'm also not sure that laughing about people being fined and Locked up in a hotel is a great look

There will also be loads about them ignoring advice.

Remember the approach was very behavioural led, I'm not surprised they decided to scare people at times.

But this is/was a completely shithouse administration prone to infighting and division. Best left to the inquiry not The Telegraph and a politically motivated "journalist" with a partner looking to win votes off the Tories.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If reports are to be believed (and all the major newspapers have it) Johnson has nominated his father (yes his father) for a Knighthood.

Originally reported by the Times.

We're being laughed at.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
If reports are to be believed (and all the major newspapers have it) Johnson has nominated his father (yes his father) for a Knighthood.

We're being laughed at.
Absolutely outrageous

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Perhaps one of the conclusions from the past few years is that no gov in a democracy can survive a truly seismic event such as Covid as their will always be widely different views as to how to manage such an event and the impacts will be seismic and so long term. However, I also think such events show up the true colours of those in gov at the time and so it has been and is now with the Tories. We will never know how Labour would have come out looking f they had been in government of course, but my suspicion is that the whole of Westminster is now so self serving, talentless and clueless that we simply don't have a political class that is willing or capable of dealing with events of such magnitude.
We will be regurgitating the gist of this type of thread forever unless all of us, the electorate not the politicians, demand real change and significantly higher standards from those that represent us, and I don't see that as a party political or left/right statement but I hope one that we can all agree on.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Perhaps one of the conclusions from the past few years is that no gov in a democracy can survive a truly seismic event such as Covid as their will always be widely different views as to how to manage such an event and the impacts will be seismic and so long term. However, I also think such events show up the true colours of those in gov at the time and so it has been and is now with the Tories. We will never know how Labour would have come out looking f they had been in government of course, but my suspicion is that the whole of Westminster is now so self serving, talentless and clueless that we simply don't have a political class that is willing or capable of dealing with events of such magnitude.
We will be regurgitating the gist of this type of thread forever unless all of us, the electorate not the politicians, demand real change and significantly higher standards from those that represent us, and I don't see that as a party political or left/right statement but I hope one that we can all agree on.
Oh come off it.

Thatcher’s government would not have behaved like the government we had during covid.
Labour would not have behaved like the government we had during covid.
I doubt this cabinet would have behaved like Johnson’s cabinet.
No government on any side in the last 200 years would have behaved like the government we had during the pandemic.

To be apologetic for that government, with all we now know? Beggars belief. Give your head a long, hard, wobble.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There will also be loads about them ignoring advice.

Remember the approach was very behavioural led, I'm not surprised they decided to scare people at times.

But this is/was a completely shithouse administration prone to infighting and division. Best left to the inquiry not The Telegraph and a politically motivated "journalist" with a partner looking to win votes off the Tories.

The damage on scaring people to that level is still here, especially on the older generations and kids.

Sadly the Inquiry is going to be a whitewash, If I've read correctly they are not even looking into the impact on children properly (happily to be corrected )and how long will it take?

We are now seeing that Hancock didn't want to reduce isolation as it would make him look him bad and brought in masks because just because, they made it up as we went and laughed at people whilst ignoring it all themselves.

Simon case is the one that's come out this the worst.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Oh come off it.

Thatcher’s government would not have behaved like the government we had during covid.
Labour would not have behaved like the government we had during covid.
I doubt this cabinet would have behaved like Johnson’s cabinet.
No government on any side in the last 200 years would have behaved like the government we had during the pandemic.

To be apologetic for that government, with all we now know? Beggars belief. Give your head a long, hard, wobble.
With Labour / Covid we saw what they wanted, so in some aspects it would have been worse.

But the PPE etc would have not been handled as badly, I still think you can ignore the first 4/5/6 months as the public were screaming for them to buy it what ever the cost.

When the "free" tests went people were moaning about it, they were costing us close to 2 billion a month, now the 37 billion spent on test and trace was apparently wasted.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

We're being laughed at.
No surprise at all.

The justification (by him) will be that he brought our greatest Prime Minister since Churchill into the World?

Sadly this is a result of the entitlement nepotism bubble he has always lived in. I would guess that he think this move is ‘normal’ because it’s the type of thing that has always happened in his circles.

It might help with the getting him booted out of Parliament.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I don'think it is a revelation that the Tory Government was/is riddled with liars from the man in charge at the time downwards ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With Labour / Covid we saw what they wanted, so in some aspects it would have been worse.

But the PPE etc would have not been handled as badly, I still think you can ignore the first 4/5/6 months as the public were screaming for them to buy it what ever the cost.

When the "free" tests went people were moaning about it, they were costing us close to 2 billion a month, now the 37 billion spent on test and trace was apparently wasted.
Unfortunately, the pressure for obtaining PPE allowed the Politicians to snatch the tendering process from the capable hands of the civil service. Politicians had been guilty in the first place for ignoring the risk register and not stockpiling all this stuff.

The answer in this case was to allow honest civil servants shot cuts where they could override procedure, not to go through Matt Hancock’s address group and dish out contracts to chums.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For the Tories it was a opportunity of a lifetime to exploit the chaos and light scrutiny to reward their mates and donors. Approved vendors were ignored and phone calls of assistance ignored

Of little surprise, the whole Michelle Mone PPE thing has gone very quiet

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here