Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Revealed by Richard Tice's girlfriend, Isabel Oakshott who has copies of the WhatsApp messages for the book she wrote. Is it possible these messages would no longer be viable in a public inquiry?

Big fan of The Telegraph?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think it is better not to use extreme sources like The Daily Mail or The Guardian when consuming news.

That said, the guy is a prat.
The Guardian is very definitely "left leaning", but I wouldn't put it in the same "extreme" bucket with the Daily Mail. There are far more extreme left sources out there than the Guardian. The one watch-out with the Guardian is that some columnists *are* a long way left, but if you pay attention they are easy to spot. The bread-and-butter Guardian news service, however, is left-bias without being extreme.

The general gist of what you say is correct, though: we should all be consuming news from multiple sources, and those sources should be across the political spectrum. In the UK, that probably means The Guardian (left bias w/out being extreme), The Independent (closest to central, but slightly left), and The Times (right bias w/out being extreme).

See here https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic.../07/how-left-or-right-wing-are-uks-newspapers - Guardian and The Times very similar results (one left, the other right) while the likes of Daily Mail are far further "extreme".

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The Guardian is very definitely "left leaning", but I wouldn't put it in the same "extreme" bucket with the Daily Mail. There are far more extreme left sources out there than the Guardian. The one watch-out with the Guardian is that some columnists *are* a long way left, but if you pay attention they are easy to spot. The bread-and-butter Guardian news service, however, is left-bias without being extreme.

The general gist of what you say is correct, though: we should all be consuming news from multiple sources, and those sources should be across the political spectrum. In the UK, that probably means The Guardian (left bias w/out being extreme), The Independent (closest to central, but slightly left), and The Times (right bias w/out being extreme).

See here https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic.../07/how-left-or-right-wing-are-uks-newspapers - Guardian and The Times very similar results (one left, the other right) while the likes of Daily Mail are far further "extreme".
It’s worth also noting those YouGov statistics, and indeed the entire article you’ve kindly shared, are from 2017. A lot has changed in the last six years since publication. Enough to actually make me cancel my Guardian subscription.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It’s worth also noting those YouGov statistics, and indeed the entire article you’ve kindly shared, are from 2017. A lot has changed in the last six years since publication. Enough to actually make me cancel my Guardian subscription.
There's more recent sources as well, all of them put Guardian in the mid-left and not extreme left. The problem is one of perception: The Guardian is probably the most left-leaning of the "mainstream" sources that have a left bias. That doesn't make them extreme left, though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Oakeshott is a VERY nasty piece of work.
So she was helping him write a book out what a bang up job he did during Covid and was trusted with his Whats AP account.

And Hancock reckons the messages have now been doctored. What a perfect marriage of individuals?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There's more recent sources as well, all of them put Guardian in the mid-left and not extreme left. The problem is one of perception: The Guardian is probably the most left-leaning of the "mainstream" sources that have a left bias. That doesn't make them extreme left, though.
The guardian is not extreme left, it's centrist dad and the Observer is edited by transphobic right winger.

Sadly a paper I used to buy on a regular basis no longer gets any of my money. Good sports section and the excellent Football Weekly are best things in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here