Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There's now a lot of pressure on this Sue Gray and her enquiry, and I don't think that's entirely fair on her. Furthermore, we don't know the timescale of her enquiry.

The local elections are due to be held on 5th May 2022, so in just under 4 months' time. The last Tory leadership election took 2 months from start to finish from May resigning to Johnson being appointed.

In reality I expect we will see Sunak, Truss and Gove unofficially starting their leadership bid from today onwards. However, there are doubts about whether they have the 'common touch'. Sunak's father is a billionaire, Sunak attended Winchester College and Oxford so he is steeped in privilege. Gove briefly joined the Labour Party and campaigned as a 16-year old in the 1983 General Election before being whisked off to Oxford where he joined the Tories and never looked back.

Truss also went to Oxford where she was President of the Oxford University Liberal Democrats but saw the light and joined the Tories when she was 21. Even then, she was a staunch Remainer until she saw political opportunity in supporting Brexit.

These are 3 people who would sell their own soul for political and personal advancement. Contrast that with Starmer, whose parents were a toolmaker and a nurse, who went to the University of Leeds and has campaigned for Labour since he was a teenager.

But do people really care?

The red wall seats elected a posh southerner

In the US, deep south bible bashers elected a brash, non church going, new yorker.

Surely people will elect whoever they believe will deliver the things they want?

The tories will continue to market themselves as low tax and anti immigration. This will probably be enough to secure re-election, (as depressing an indictment of the people I share this country with as it is)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I’ve heard at least 20 separate people say that in the last couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems the only thing worse than a serial liar with utter contempt for the people he's duty bound to serve is a commie.

Good to know where the lines are.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Apparently Johnson didn't see the email invite to the party in his back garden, which conveniently isn't the same as Johnson not knowing there was a party being arranged and set up in his back garden.

They really are taking as all for fools.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Wouldn't be hard to believe "Just imagine how bad it would have been under Corbyn" is being uttered in households and offices up and down the country today.

This has always been a bullshit line

But I find myself unable to vote for The Tories or Labour currently (I voted Labour in the last 3 elections)

It’s sleaze/ Lies v eternal lockdown and restrictions.

I’m sure I’m not the only person in this position

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is incorrect to claim that all Tories are born into privilege.

The current Prime Minister went to Oxford, all 4 leading candidates for his job - Raab, Gove, Truss, Sunak - went to Oxford. The previous 2 Prime Ministers in David Cameron and Theresa May went to Oxford, as did their Chancellors George Osborne and Phillip Hammond.

Yes, Starmer and a few of his Shadow Cabinet went to Oxford too but they are outnumbered by the likes of Rayner, Thornberry, Lammy, Nandy. Still, I would argue there is too much of an Oxbridge presence in the current Labour front ranks, while the Lib Dems have a much better balance among their MPs.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The current Prime Minister went to Oxford, all 4 leading candidates for his job - Raab, Gove, Truss, Sunak - went to Oxford. The previous 2 Prime Ministers in David Cameron and Theresa May went to Oxford, as did their Chancellors George Osborne and Phillip Hammond.

Yes, Starmer and a few of his Shadow Cabinet went to Oxford too but they are outnumbered by the likes of Rayner, Thornberry, Lammy, Nandy. Still, I would argue there is too much of an Oxbridge presence in the current Labour front ranks, while the Lib Dems have a much better balance among their MPs.

I honestly don’t see a problem in people attending top universities. I almost applied myself but had a last minute crisis of confidence, which I regret. I went to London instead. The politics of envy is not a good look.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Ahem, Eton. Aren't we on the 22nd PM that went to Eton (there, or thereabouts)?
The last two are Cameron and Johnson after a bad run for the country's most exclusive, elite school.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But do people really care?

The red wall seats elected a posh southerner

In the US, deep south bible bashers elected a brash, non church going, new yorker.

Surely people will elect whoever they believe will deliver the things they want?

The tories will continue to market themselves as low tax and anti immigration. This will probably be enough to secure re-election, (as depressing an indictment of the people I share this country with as it is)

This is a good point. Yet the Tories ARE putting up taxes, while immigration is as high as ever (albeit from non-EU immigrants).

The Brexit we have got is not the Brexit we were promised. If the Tories wanted to show their low tax credentials AND deliver on Brexit promises they could have removed VAT on fuel, yet here were are with fuel prices going through the roof and the VAT take rising with it.

So I don't even think people are bothered whether they are being told the truth, or whether the politicians are delivering on what they promised. That is how apathetic voters have become, which is one of the reasons I personally am disappointed we have left the EU because there was a COLLECTIVE buy-in to all the stuff that should be important and affect ordinary people, like climate change, abolition of tax havens, workers rights, a Single Market with reduced bureaucracy for travel and trade.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
In other news, nearly 130,000 new Covid cases, nearly 20,000 in hospital, 793 on ventilators.

And another 398 dead.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is a good point. Yet the Tories ARE putting up taxes, while immigration is as high as ever (albeit from non-EU immigrants).

The Brexit we have got is not the Brexit we were promised. If the Tories wanted to show their low tax credentials AND deliver on Brexit promises they could have removed VAT on fuel, yet here were are with fuel prices going through the roof and the VAT take rising with it.

So I don't even think people are bothered whether they are being told the truth, or whether the politicians are delivering on what they promised. That is how apathetic voters have become, which is one of the reasons I personally am disappointed we have left the EU because there was a COLLECTIVE buy-in to all the stuff that should be important and affect ordinary people, like climate change, abolition of tax havens, workers rights, a Single Market with reduced bureaucracy for travel and trade.

Yes. The truth of the matter is unimportant. Illegal migration is increasing as well, certainly across the Channel.

What matters is an overall impression. Which is why our government is intent on prosecuting a divisive culture war. It works wonders in distracting from objective policy failure

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In other news, nearly 130,000 new Covid cases, nearly 20,000 in hospital, 793 on ventilators.

And another 398 dead.

Last year's peak deaths was c. 22-24 Jan, so I suspect the daily toll will climb for another 1-2 weeks this time around as those that contracted Covid c. Christmas / New Year finally succumb. But good news about Boris, Andy and Novak.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes. The truth of the matter is unimportant. Illegal migration is increasing as well, certainly across the Channel.

What matters is an overall impression. Which is why our government is intent on prosecuting a divisive culture war. It works wonders in distracting from objective policy failure

Isn’t the proposed trade deal with India dependent on increased immigration from the Sub Continent.

Taking back control.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I think a couple of years of sky high fuel bills might do for the Tories what a world economic crash did for Labour...

Nothing galvanises the public like being hit in the pocket...

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I think a couple of years of sky high fuel bills might do for the Tories what a world economic crash did for Labour...

Nothing galvanises the public like being hit in the pocket...

This is true. But I also think the only viable alternative Labour is such a turn off for a vast amount of people (as proved by election after election) . Just televise the Labour conference prior to an election and focus on Momentum (Corbynites) etc and job done for the Conservatives.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
This is true. But I also think the only viable alternative Labour is such a turn off for a vast amount of people (as proved by election after election) . Just televise the Labour conference prior to an election and focus on Momentum (Corbynites) etc and job done for the Conservatives.

If things get as bad as is being predicted fuel bill wise, I think the Looney Left would be a welcome change for many!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They won’t be able to do anything about sky high fuel bills. They are here to stay regardless of which party is in Government as they are a consequence of the energy transition.

So why was it being voted on if there is nothing to be done ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just televise the Labour conference prior to an election and focus on Momentum (Corbynites) etc and job done for the Conservatives.

At their peak, Momentum represented about 9% of the party. With the numbers who have left the party since Corbyn was replaced as leader, I'd be surprised if they could muster 1% now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here