Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1481261954773786629[/tweet]

I wish I got a massive party every time I had done the job I was asked to do like Raab has somehow managed in this scenario.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Several questions should have been asked.

Are there any more 'gatherings' that Johnson has attended that may fall into this category that he would like to declare now?

Did Sue Gray go to any of these 'gatherings'?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don’t think that Starmer wants Johnson out yet. It would give his successor a good run up to the next election, time to bring in tax cuts, and bribe the electorate again. Johnson has become a joke, and not in that we’re all laughing with, more like the one we’re all laughing at.

The Tories will want Johnson to remain in his position for another year, then resign due to long Covid or some such bollox.

The next election is 2 years away, at least.

Anyway, on to the more important stuff, is PMQs today, bring your own booze?

Looks like you were incorrect, Starmer went for the jugular putting in an unusually competent performance. Boris has been written off many times on NSC but this is the first time he is in real trouble. Intersting to see if he can confound political norms and his critics once more (I doubt it) .... logging on NSC after yet another Boris victory in a year or two would be deliciously entertaining though.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Looks like you were incorrect, Starmer went for the jugular putting in an unusually competent performance. Boris has been written off many times on NSC but this is the first time he is in real trouble. Intersting to see if he can confound political norms and his critics once more (I doubt it) .... logging on NSC after yet another Boris victory in a year or two would be deliciously entertaining though.

It's not if now.

It's a case of when it's most expedient for them to plunge the knife and how much damage his limping on in the meantime will cause

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's now a lot of pressure on this Sue Gray and her enquiry, and I don't think that's entirely fair on her. Furthermore, we don't know the timescale of her enquiry.

The local elections are due to be held on 5th May 2022, so in just under 4 months' time. The last Tory leadership election took 2 months from start to finish from May resigning to Johnson being appointed.

In reality I expect we will see Sunak, Truss and Gove unofficially starting their leadership bid from today onwards. However, there are doubts about whether they have the 'common touch'. Sunak's father is a billionaire, Sunak attended Winchester College and Oxford so he is steeped in privilege. Gove briefly joined the Labour Party and campaigned as a 16-year old in the 1983 General Election before being whisked off to Oxford where he joined the Tories and never looked back.

Truss also went to Oxford where she was President of the Oxford University Liberal Democrats but saw the light and joined the Tories when she was 21. Even then, she was a staunch Remainer until she saw political opportunity in supporting Brexit.

These are 3 people who would sell their own soul for political and personal advancement. Contrast that with Starmer, whose parents were a toolmaker and a nurse, who went to the University of Leeds and has campaigned for Labour since he was a teenager.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There's now a lot of pressure on this Sue Gray and her enquiry, and I don't think that's entirely fair on her. Furthermore, we don't know the timescale of her enquiry.

The local elections are due to be held on 5th May 2022, so in just under 4 months' time. The last Tory leadership election took 2 months from start to finish from May resigning to Johnson being appointed.

In reality I expect we will see Sunak, Truss and Gove unofficially starting their leadership bid from today onwards. However, there are doubts about whether they have the 'common touch'. Sunak's father is a billionaire, Sunak attended Winchester College and Oxford so he is steeped in privilege. Gove briefly joined the Labour Party and campaigned as a 16-year old in the 1983 General Election before being whisked off to Oxford where he joined the Tories and never looked back.

Truss also went to Oxford where she was President of the Oxford University Liberal Democrats but saw the light and joined the Tories when she was 21. Even then, she was a staunch Remainer until she saw political opportunity in supporting Brexit.

These are 3 people who would sell their own soul for political and personal advancement. Contrast that with Starmer, whose parents were a toolmaker and a nurse, who went to the University of Leeds and has campaigned for Labour since he was a teenager.

You forgot to mention that Sunak’s father in law is a billionaire too….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Liz Truss went to state school in Leeds and got into Oxford on merit. Her father was a lecturer at Leeds Uni and her mother a nurse and teacher. Both were/are on the left of the Labour Party. It is incorrect to claim that all Tories are born into privilege.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Only his father-in-law, actually.

Sunak's parents were a GP and a pharmacist.

Fair enough, but I wonder what a first attracted him to his wife with the billionaire dad?

The problem for the Tories is that Boris has surrounded himself with acolytes who are privileged, Oxbridge and would murder their granny for advancement. Such a leader doesn't appear to be chime with the mood music of the moment.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Liz Truss went to state school in Leeds and got into Oxford on merit. Her father was a lecturer at Leeds Uni and her mother a nurse and teacher. Both were/are on the left of the Labour Party. It is incorrect to claim that all Tories are born into privilege.

It’s also easy for posters to copy and paste bulshit FB/Twitter content too which for the avoidance of doubt I think Pav did [emoji6]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Starmer realises that whatever he says, in reality it means nothing. Calling for Johnson’s resignation is the least that should be expected in these circumstances because he can’t force Johnson to go. It may even unite a certain amount of Tories behind him.
I had an interesting discussion with 2 Tory party members after PMQs, they don’t think he has done much wrong, their view is all politicians lie, so Johnson should remain PM. I did say that is nonsense, but they were adamant that most Torys would see it that way.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

You are joking aren’t you, we’d have to put up with another 4 years of McNob whining on [emoji23]

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Starmer realises that whatever he says, in reality it means nothing. Calling for Johnson’s resignation is the least that should be expected in these circumstances because he can’t force Johnson to go. It may even unite a certain amount of Tories behind him.
I had an interesting discussion with 2 Tory party members after PMQs, they don’t think he has done much wrong, their view is all politicians lie, so Johnson should remain PM. I did say that is nonsense, but they were adamant that most Torys would see it that way.

Wouldn't be hard to believe "Just imagine how bad it would have been under Corbyn" is being uttered in households and offices up and down the country today.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair enough, but I wonder what a first attracted him to his wife with the billionaire dad?

The problem for the Tories is that Boris has surrounded himself with acolytes who are privileged, Oxbridge and would murder their granny for advancement. Such a leader doesn't appear to be chime with the mood music of the moment.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not for a minute suggesting that Sunak was NOT privileged. He was Head Boy at Winchester College, FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here