Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Going back to Johnson, it seems his apology wasn’t quite as fulsome and heartfelt as he would want us to believe

[tweet]1481291566731911172[/tweet]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So why was it being voted on if there is nothing to be done ?

Who is voting on it ? Carbon emission prices are going to Eu110 and higher. That will be a significant driver of future power prices as we try to reduce demand to save the planet. Higher prices are the policy aim and look at copper prices for further impact of the energy transition.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
They won’t be able to do anything about sky high fuel bills. They are here to stay regardless of which party is in Government as they are a consequence of the energy transition.
Doesn't really matter, whoever is in power will still be blamed if they aren't seen to do something about it. See Labour and the global financial crisis.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Starmer realises that whatever he says, in reality it means nothing. Calling for Johnson’s resignation is the least that should be expected in these circumstances because he can’t force Johnson to go. It may even unite a certain amount of Tories behind him.
I had an interesting discussion with 2 Tory party members after PMQs, they don’t think he has done much wrong, their view is all politicians lie, so Johnson should remain PM. I did say that is nonsense, but they were adamant that most Torys would see it that way.

Even I have been surprised (and disappointed) at the (minority?) of tories who expect politicians to lie to them, don't mind at all, and even welcome it (provided it is 'their team' doing the lying). It's on a par with an Albion supporter cheering an Albion player who deliberately injures an opponent.

Yes, there are tories on NSC who are quite happy for Boris to lie and will continue to vote for him, come what may. It's on a par with militant religion, where people will sacrifice their own children in the name of a god. Not a classy look :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't really matter, whoever is in power will still be blamed if they aren't seen to do something about it. See Labour and the global financial crisis.

This.

And of course certain (a minority?) of tories still gleefully blame labour for the global financial crisis (yet more 'evidence' of their beliefs) even though they know it was an, er, global financial crisis. You can't argue with the religious :shrug:. Best to ignore them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Going back to Johnson, it seems his apology wasn’t quite as fulsome and heartfelt as he would want us to believe

[tweet]1481291566731911172[/tweet]

Possibly wasn't his fault directly and any self entitled job for life civil servants (yes I know MOST are fine) need clearing out too.

You'd have thought it would be the sensible seen it before Civil Service that would be stopping it happening, wouldn't you ?

Clearly not. So what the **** are they there for.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
R5 Live Nicky Campbell and Naga had tonnes of Tories phoning up this morning all saying the same thing - he is a twunt and has to go. In fact they were struggling to find someone to defend him. Brits love fair play and hate being lied to. He will be gone soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At their peak, Momentum represented about 9% of the party. With the numbers who have left the party since Corbyn was replaced as leader, I'd be surprised if they could muster 1% now.

There is always some mischief who will find some old ruin like Lansman to buy a quote off. Lansman was all over that 'labour MP resigns front bench job in protest at Starmer' bollocks a few months ago, that spent half a day as the lead story on radio 5-live news. The likes of JCFG were dancing in glee at this, pointing and shouting 'See! See!' :facepalm:

****.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
R5 Live Nicky Campbell and Naga had tonnes of Tories phoning up this morning all saying the same thing - he is a twunt and has to go. In fact they were struggling to find someone to defend him. Brits love fair play and hate being lied to. He will be gone soon.

To be fair, I heard two supporters of Johnson defending him on R5 today. However, having listened to what they said I now believe it's part of that well documented BBC ploy to make all Johnson supporters appear to be complete and utter loons :wink:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
When I did security for the civil service they seemed to do little else but drink :lolol:

2 hour/5 pint lunches seemed to be a regular occurrence from what I saw!

I am happy to report this was indeed the case when I worked for the Department of Transport in Whitehall in the early-mid '80s. Happy Memories!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Johnson is a dead man walking, but no self respecting politician* will step into his shoes until at least after the Covid inquiry.

Not even Theresa May would be stupid enough to put herself forward this time...

* if such a thing now exists.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They won’t be able to do anything about sky high fuel bills. They are here to stay regardless of which party is in Government as they are a consequence of the energy transition.

One of the promises of Brexit was lowering or even removing VAT on energy bills. Spain, still in the EU, lowered it just this week.
Labour introduced a bill to vote on it, but it was defeated 321 to 219 yesterday. 320 of those voting against were Tory MPs.
One Tory voted for it, and has had the whip removed today.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
To be fair, I heard two supporters of Johnson defending him on R5 today. However, having listened to what they said I now believe it's part of that well documented BBC ploy to make all Johnson supporters appear to be complete and utter loons :wink:

I don't think it's a BBC ploy, for anyone to defend Boris Johnson they WOULD have to be an utter loon, or a Tory MP looking for a party invite...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here