Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
More and more the UK seems to be mirroring the US. There is a hard core of maybe 30 to 35% of Trump supporters who supported, and continue to support him, no matter what he did and it seems the same with Johnson.

And in both countries you have privately owned mainstream media which continue to enable them, Fox News in the States and the Sun, Mail and Express in the UK

Yes. And like Trump, Johnson and co now don't seem to give a toss what the rest of the electorate think, just got to shore up the get Brexit done, immigrant loathing, flag shagging core support.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
As true now as it was then....

Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 06.12.07.png

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More and more the UK seems to be mirroring the US. There is a hard core of maybe 30 to 35% of Trump supporters who supported, and continue to support him, no matter what he did and it seems the same with Johnson.

And in both countries you have privately owned mainstream media which continue to enable them, Fox News in the States and the Sun, Mail and Express in the UK

Yes this 100%, sadly more and more parallels. As Steve Bannon said "flood the zone with shit" the same is happening here. There is just so much of it now its being harder to nail Johnson on one thing

We're not at the point at where the ruling party deny the result of free and fair elections but if they lose the next time it may come.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This is very true, Obama described this as " Truth Decay " ...Johnson has learned from Trump how to confuse, lie and repeat and keep getting away with it. The trick is to propose something to his core supporters such as the flights to Rwanda, and then inevitably, when it's legality is questioned in court and its stopped, claim to be the victim of the Deep State or "Lefty Lawyers " ....or maybe its the Civil Service too trying to block his " populist " policies...this seems to be the method now and it seems to be working sadly as there seems to be a rump of people who firmly believe that " Boris is doing his best " despite the obvious.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is very true, Obama described this as " Truth Decay " ...Johnson has learned from Trump how to confuse, lie and repeat and keep getting away with it. The trick is to propose something to his core supporters such as the flights to Rwanda, and then inevitably, when it's legality is questioned in court and its stopped, claim to be the victim of the Deep State or "Lefty Lawyers " ....or maybe its the Civil Service too trying to block his " populist " policies...this seems to be the method now and it seems to be working sadly as there seems to be a rump of people who firmly believe that " Boris is doing his best " despite the obvious.

To be fair, that is true - and THAT is the problem!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes this 100%, sadly more and more parallels. As Steve Bannon said "flood the zone with shit" the same is happening here. There is just so much of it now its being harder to nail Johnson on one thing

We're not at the point at where the ruling party deny the result of free and fair elections but if they lose the next time it may come.

I’m already suspicious of postal votes. In 2019 a politician and Kuennsberg both mentioned postal votes before Election Day. In 2016, many many people complained their postal votes were delivered too late for them to be returned. On investigation, it seems the company responsible for printing & sending out postal votes is Tory.
I used to have a postal vote but will vote in person every time now until I’m in my dotage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ooh it’s a corner;10292739 said:
Last night’s Question Time was rather depressing. There was enough evidence from the audience that the clown in charge(not Fiona Bruce) STILL has support from many. Unbelievable but true!

There's been quite a discussion on Twitter about that. Newcastle doesn't have one Tory MP nor councillor. Someone who did go said they were asked for their political view on the questionnaire. The producer of QT is known to Farage and co, and has been photographed lunching with them.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’m already suspicious of postal votes. In 2019 a politician and Kuennsberg both mentioned postal votes before Election Day. In 2016, many many people complained their postal votes were delivered too late for them to be returned. On investigation, it seems the company responsible for printing & sending out postal votes is Tory.
I used to have a postal vote but will vote in person every time now until I’m in my dotage.

And look at the effort Trump made to derail the postal system in the states, some will look on this with envy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There's been quite a discussion on Twitter about that. Newcastle doesn't have one Tory MP nor councillor. Someone who did go said they were asked for their political view on the questionnaire. The producer of QT is known to Farage and co, and has been photographed lunching with them.

Someone who was in the audience was told by the production team that as the Tories have a parliamentary majority, they needed to ensure the majority of the audience were supportive of the Tories. Mad if true.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

There's an excellent book called 'The Death of Truth'. Written about Trump's America but the concepts can be applied everywhere. Very interesting, highly recommend it.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/573029/the-death-of-truth-by-michiko-kakutani/

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I thought it was well known that you would be asked about your political views before being invited into the audience. This is from the BBC website as to how they are chosen:-

Question Time selects local audiences which reflect a broad range of political views. People apply to be in the audience for Question Time via the website and by phone and producers get in touch to ask questions on their previous voting record and future voting intentions, whether they have party political membership and also how they voted in the EU Referendum. This is to ensure a range of views are represented in the audience. Occasionally, if production staff feel any group or view is under-represented in the applications, they will promote the programme through relevant local media channels to encourage people to apply.

As with the make-up of the panels, Question Time is aiming to achieve due impartiality in the membership of the audience across the series as a whole, rather than being confined to an exact mathematical formula for each programme. However, particular guidelines will apply during election periods to both panels and audiences.

The problem is you can't control who puts their hand up to comment on the debate. I watch the first few questions last night and when someone banged on about moving on from partygate I would say there was lukewarm applause suggesting most didn't agree!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But there are Tory MPs in the region. Darlington, Hartlepool, Blythe etc.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Best moment on Question Time last night was when an elderly lady in the audience put her hand up and when Fiona Bruce called upon her, she asked the CEO of Iceland stores why her sister can get a home delivery in Shipley, West York, but she no longer can in Newcastle.

:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here