Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The presence of alcohol at the garden ‘meeting’ doesn’t necessarily mean that it was a party.

The absence of alcohol at the Christmas quiz means it wasn’t a party.

Are we all clear on that now?

Good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So the government were hosting important meetings - probably about the pandemic while getting pissed? There we go then

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I need to get a job at Downing Street. Can't wait for alcohol to be supplied at meetings as my current company don't do this.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Keir Starmer has criticised Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, for missing yesterday’s meeting of Cobra, the government’s emergency committee, which was discussing Covid."

Preparing the cover up...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As someone who a) runs pubs and b) is sober I can’t get my head around why drinking wine and champagne at a work meeting Is deemed acceptable. Let alone one, presumably, that is of the entire nations interest.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ministers will be holding a virtual cabinet meeting this afternoon, the BBC understands.

They're due to hold the discussions at 14:00 GMT.

The BBC has been told three different options of possible Covid measures are currently being considered.

Plan C inbound .. will we see a bigger Tory revolt?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Ministers will be holding a virtual cabinet meeting this afternoon, the BBC understands.

The BBC has been told three different options of possible Covid measures are currently being considered.

What is on the wine list ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If that's a party, glad I wasn't invited. Sorry if I'm not reading the room (the new shut down) but this is just a bit of sh1t stirring.

It’s not so much whether it could be deemed a party though. Do you think this is a business meeting in the spirit of the then lockdown rules?? Are you happy with No.10’s explanation or do you think they’re taking the piss out of you and laughing at you?

I realise that the right wing press (Express & Sun) aren’t touching these pictures anymore but it certainly seems like it’s one rule for them, another rule for us?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Plan C inbound .. will we see a bigger Tory revolt?

If this is true I would not expect too much to happen. It will be " Light Touch " further restrictions which probably won't help much because it's too late already... Additionally anything severe or draconian will be rejected by the 100 or so Tory MPs who know more than Chris Whitty so won't be an option.
Expect dither, delay and too little too late and you can't go too far wrong.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
If this is true I would not expect too much to happen. It will be " Light Touch " further restrictions which probably won't help much because it's too late already... Additionally anything severe or draconian will be rejected by the 100 or so Tory MPs who know more than Chris Whitty so won't be an option.
Expect dither, delay and too little too late and you can't go to far wrong.
Labour will support lockdown measures. So the Tories would need a massive revolt for them not to go through.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It’s not so much whether it could be deemed a party though. Do you think this is a business meeting in the spirit of the then lockdown rules?? Are you happy with No.10’s explanation or do you think they’re taking the piss out of you and laughing at you?

I realise that the right wing press (Express & Sun) aren’t touching these pictures anymore but it certainly seems like it’s one rule for them, another rule for us?

Is of course the correct answer. Most people are sick of hearing about it now but Cummings and his cronies are going for death by a thousand cuts. Watching various MPs and ministers trying to defend the indefensible is a terrible look. They could all have be French kissing and it would still be argued it was a work meeting and they had been working hard so they were fully entitled to let off steam in a socially distanced work environment. Over egging the pudding as far as public opinion is concerned - almost definitely. But keeping pressure on him with more and more of the same kind of accusations is a big part of the plan.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Is of course the correct answer. Most people are sick of hearing about it now but Cummings and his cronies are going for death by a thousand cuts. Watching various MPs and ministers trying to defend the indefensible is a terrible look. They could all have be French kissing and it would still be argued it was a work meeting and they had been working hard so they were fully entitled to let off steam in a socially distanced work environment. Over egging the pudding as far as public opinion is concerned - almost definitely. But keeping pressure on him with more and more of the same kind of accusations is a big part of the plan.

I suspect most people have got on with trying to lead their lives as best they can during a pandemic, not mithering on about Cummings.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I suspect most people have got on with trying to lead their lives as best they can during a pandemic, not mithering on about Cummings.

But that isn't the point, is it? The stories are about apparent hypocrisy, over and over again, from the people who set the rules for those of us trying to get on with leading their lives as best they could in a pandemic. A lot of those unable to comfort or say goodbye to dying loved ones. And the same people meeting this afternoon to possible decide to curtail our liberties again. How many fewer people will take notice because of any further regulations because of these double standards?

Just because you don't think it is important, doesn't mean it isn't to other people.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Is this the first time this predominantly Northern word has been used on NSC? :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here