Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Starmer and Raynor recieve questionnaires. Breaking news.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Bizarrely, Johnson will be shitting it that they could be given fines. Because if they do, they’ll almost certainly resign and he’ll look an even bigger **** than already.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Johnson taking flak from all directions. Tory’s that count are finally asking him to explain himself. If this does translate into a leadership battle it will be rather fun to watch the knives come out. They’ll tear themselves to pieces. Whoever is left standing will be stepping into a very tricky role. Not only has Johnson disgraced himself, he has cheapened the role of PM and besmirched the highest office in the land.

There will never be any real justice visited upon the law breaking Boris Johnson but I dearly wish to see him expelled from office. A minor victory really but to see him being sent off against his will would give me some satisfaction. I would genuinely like to hear what he has to say if we ever get to see him red-carded.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The ethics advisor Lord Geidt is reported to have threatened to resign today which led to the PM making a statement the he didn't break the ministerial code.

Reported to still considering his position tonight.

[tweet]1531762938012475393[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Imagine being Ethics Chief to this government. It’d be like being a street sweeper after a fortnight of yellow shit storms.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well, its taken 6 months but it feels like we could be nearing the end game. Watching Newsnight earlier, the narrative definitely seems to have shifted in the last 24 hours from "can Johnson survive?" to "how soon will he be gone?"

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, its taken 6 months but it feels like we could be nearing the end game. Watching Newsnight earlier, the narrative definitely seems to have shifted in the last 24 hours from "can Johnson survive?" to "how soon will he be gone?"

I’m not holding my breath but there’s a palpable shift in tone towards him from many quarters.

Come on!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Gutted Brucie wasn't still alive to present that segment.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I’m not holding my breath but there’s a palpable shift in tone towards him from many quarters.

Come on!!!

If you look at leaders who have suffered rebellions in the past (even Thatcher) there has always been the loyal and relatively sensible who will go public with support.

Johnson has Nadine Dories, Rees Mogg and Mark Francois.

It's crazy who he has surrounded himself with.

Nadhim Zahawi seems a nice bloke though who I could trust with some spare keys.

Less so Sajid Javid who I wouldn't speak to much but wouldn't mind him borrowing my patio cleaner every now and then.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I can see a vote of confidence but its by no means a cert he would lose.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I can see a vote of confidence but its by no means a cert he would lose.

Yeah - read an article on the Guardian last night, their read on it is that Boris is more likely to win any vote than lose it, but that it's tight. May be just a handful of votes in it either way. So even if he wins it, I suspect the likelihood will be that we'll see something similar to what happened with May - even though he'll technically be immune from challenge for 12 months afterwards, his position will be so precarious that he either goes by resigning or the 1922 changes the rules so he can be challenged again as soon as they think the balance has shifted.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah - read an article on the Guardian last night, their read on it is that Boris is more likely to win any vote than lose it, but that it's tight. May be just a handful of votes in it either way. So even if he wins it, I suspect the likelihood will be that we'll see something similar to what happened with May ...
... and Thatcher, of course, who also won a vote of no confidence but resigned shortly after.

The difference is that May and Thatcher had some sense of honour and thought that their position as PM, with so many MPs against them, was unsustainable and would lead to more instability,

It's stretching things a bit to think that Johnson has that sense of honour (or, indeed, any sense of honour at all)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

who else would want the job...?? political at its worst , he will get the vote of confidence as no one else will take the job.

At the time the vote is taken, it'll be all about Boris. They won't think about who's replacing him until afterwards. The question will be: does anyone with credibility step forward *not*, or are those credible leaders going to wait it out and let a Boris stooge take the reins and suffer the after effects of Boris' mismanagement. That will all depend on whether or not those credible leaders think there's enough time left before the next GE to rescue the situation. If they think the next GE is more than likely already lost, they'll wait. If they're confident it can still be won, they'll go for it now.

That may all depend on which way they think the Starmer / Rayner situation will go. Let's assume for a moment that Starmer and Rayner get cleared (they already were once, so it's reasonable). IMO they'll be looking at Starmer as being someone they can beat. I've said it before: Starmer would be a far better PM than he is an opposition leader. While the Tory polling with Boris as leader is pointing to them losing their majority and Labour being better placed to form a government if a GE was held today, it's not so bad as to be irretrievable given 18 months to sort the mess out.

They'll still keep their heads down until after they've seen how any vote against Boris goes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The interesting question for me is this: what happens if Johnson is replaced but the new leader finds that the opinion polls are even worse for him or her?

This is not implausible. There are many people who say that they only voted Tory because BJ was the leader and if they pick someone from the cabinet (which they almost certainly will) then the Tories will be stuck with someone responsible for the mess we're in, someone who's stood by Johnson and his lies but without his voter appeal. And if they choose a remainer like Truss or Javid, we'll probably get Farage making a new push for the Reform Party, taking away more votes.

How would the Tories react with a leader polling mid-twenties, having changed leader once already? It will be a tough one for them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here