Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
What's your evidence for the discretion of the chair of the 1922?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-lurch-to-right-adds-momentum-leadership-vote

Paragraph 4:

It is understood that Sir Graham Brady, the chair of the 1922 Committee, will have to use his own judgment about whether to announce the milestone being passed straight away if it occurs while parliament is off this week, or wait until Monday, when the House of Commons returns after the Queen’s jubilee celebrations.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In the name God, Go.

Just go, Johnson and make this a fantastic Bank Holiday weekend for the country.
He doesn't like the pay or the decor of the tied cottage, he has no policy ideas and he hates having to work when he could be at a party downstairs....I don't know why he just does not walk out and let a grown up do the job. ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surprised to read that Maria Caulfield is wavering. I thought she was solidly behind Johnson all the way.

[tweet]1531170019006201856[/tweet]

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Surprised to read that Maria Caulfield is wavering. I thought she was solidly behind Johnson all the way.

I recently rewatched John Oliver's excellent three part series on gun control done for the Daily Show in 2013. In Part 2 he interviews long term Democratic strategist Jim Manley and at just after 2 minutes Oliver asks him a question and Manley hilariously, but depressingly says the quiet part out loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYbY45rHj8w.

That is what will be concerning Caulfield and her colleagues.

The recent Council Elections were mainly in seats that had last been contested in 2018 when Labour saw it's best results under Corbyn. They were not going to make obviously huge gains in these seats. What became apparent after the results was that the Tory heartlands where the Lib Dems are traditionally second place could not be taken for granted. The goverment's push to the right was done with the expectation that these seats were in the bag because, following the Brexit debate, the Lib Dems were a spent force. The big message from the elections and from recent by-elections was that the Lib Dems are absolutely not a spent force. Maria Caulfield's seat for one is easily within their reach. The Northern Red Wall Tory MPs will still be calculating that Johnson contributed to them unexpectedly winning their seats and that getting rid of him won't improve their chances of hanging on next time. Southern Tories will be doing a different calculation. One or two of them might even be considering what is best for their country and their constituents, but as Oliver's satire indicates, whatever their beliefs, very few would both give former premier of Queensland, Rob Borbidge's alternative answer to the question 'What makes a politician successful?' and actually back it up when it came to the crunch.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

That'll be for very selfish reasons. Lewes was a solid Lib Dem seat until they got wiped out in 2015, and even then she only squeaked it on a narrow majority - the Conservative vote didn't increase much in 2015, she won it on the back of Lib Dem voters deserting to UKIP and Labour. 2017 was a much stronger hold with a big swing to her (UKIP didn't stand and she pretty much got the entire UKIP voter base). But in 2019, there was a swing towards the Lib Dems and she's now very vulnerable given the Lib Dem's look even stronger today.

It doesn't help that the longer she holds that seat the more obvious it becomes that she's completely unsuitable to be an MP.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I'm very surprised at that too. I wonder what criteria they use to judge them as wavering.

It won't make a jot of difference to me, as I can't see any scenario where I'd vote for her anyway.

I'm confident that her small majority will turn into a landslide for the LibDems when we finally get a chance to get rid of her.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think it's fair to say he is toast, but it may take a General Election.

The Tories really need to look at their internal systems. The same would have happened if Jeffrey Archer was let off the leash, but Thatcher was no fool.

Cameron was.

Johnson should have have been kept on the back benches but now he has dragged the party in the gutter.

It will take them years to sort the mess out. Labour needs to sort itself out too though. Who needs enemies when you have Owen Jones ?

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is very interesting though in a Cabinet Minister effectively defusing a culture war debate in a there maybe an leadership election coming up kinda way....

[tweet]1531590554441621506[/tweet]

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
This is very interesting though in a Cabinet Minister effectively defusing a culture war debate in a there maybe an leadership election coming up kinda way....

[tweet]1531590554441621506[/tweet]

"We will never deny biology [...]"

Ugh. Thus spoke someone who still doesn't get it. The rest of his sentence is spot on, but it didn't need the preface.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If the Tories lose Wakefield and he still survives, he’ll be PM during the next election.

If they lose either of the two by-elections, he'll be in serious trouble. If, indeed, he hasn't already been shown 54 letters before then. Lose both and he's gone.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Ugh. Thus spoke someone who still doesn't get it. The rest of his sentence is spot on, but it didn't need the preface.

I think he gets it entirely, whether I/you agree with him is irrelevant.

Appealing to your core vote, but not deliberately winding up those who are wavering because that's a game of diminishing returns.

It's leadership election time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

oh it really does, because the arguement is really about a social distinction thats turned into one of biology. one for its own thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
oh it really does, because the arguement is really about a social distinction thats turned into one of biology. one for its own thread.

The issue is partly also a matter of semantics, precision, and setting out the question in a clear and unequivocal (and correctly punctuated) manner.

So please don't you start the thread. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here