Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Matt Hancock has announced he’ll publish Covid diaries giving his “unique perspective” of the pandemic.

Likely months or years before a public inquiry reports back, the former Health Secretary is promising a “unique and candid account of Britain’s battle to turn the tide”.

And after more than 170,000 deaths, he will “reveal the crucial moments of the struggle to save lives”, publishers Biteback said.

[yt]tK3k1S2w_cw[/yt]

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
MPs set to pass motion setting up inquiry into claims PM misled parliament after No 10 shelves its amendment

The government has decided to pull its amendment, the i’s*Arj Singh*reports.

That means the original Labour motion setting up a privileges committee inquiry into claims Johnson misled parliament will be passed this afternoon - probably unopposed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That means the original Labour motion setting up a privileges committee inquiry into claims Johnson misled parliament will be passed this afternoon - probably unopposed.k

Which Labour actually don't want. They want it to go through a vote, because any Tory who votes against gives them election campaign ammunition in the future.

I go back to my post earlier this morning: this is all indicative of just how weak a hold on power Boris and his backers believe they have. To back down on this not once, but twice (first: back down from 3-line whip to oppose; second: back down from amending), is not a show of strength.

Annoyingly, I don't think there's enough support in the Tory party for removing Boris for a vote of no confidence to actually pass. They might have enough (54) to force that vote to take place, which would be damaging in its own right, but they're not going to win it. Largely, I think, because there's simply no credible alternative putting themselves forward. For the anti-Boris portion of the Tory party, people like Truss, Raab, Gove simply aren't a viable alternative. What they'll be wanting is a genuine fresh start leader.

However: a "rebel" group of Tories whose size is anywhere north of 35 or 40 is still a big problem for Boris. If it gets over 40, and those 40+ are willing to work together as a group and vote *against* the government on some matters ... then suddenly Boris finds himself in the very embarrassing position of losing votes despite having a notional 75 seat majority. A rebel Tory group of 40+ actually has a lot of power, and I think we're starting to see that play out in how Boris and the whips are handling things. Start with default position of what Boris wants, sound out the party, if that rebel group is solid in opposition then modify the position until they believe they can get a vote through, OR drop the position entirely if the mood among the rebels is dead-set against.

The longer that remains the state of play, the weaker Boris' position will get - until eventually someone palatable to the rebels *and* a wider base of the Tory MPs sticks their hand up and then suddenly we'll have 54 letters announced and a vote of no confidence. That *might* be accelerated if the local elections see the Tory vote collapse, but I personally think it'll be a long game that won't resolve before the end of this year.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BREAKING
No further Partygate updates from Met until after May elections
The Metropolitan Police will not be issuing any further updates about the investigation into parties at Downing Street until after the May elections.

The force says the investigation will still continue during this time - so fines could in theory be issued.

But due to restrictions over communications in the run-up to an election, it will not issue updates.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If one were cynical, one might suggest that the Tories allowing a free vote will mean the motion passes, the inquiry is set up and gives the PM the next however many months of deflection along the lines of "We must wait for the outcome of the inquiry, an inquiry that was proposed by the Opposition"

Jul 20, 2003
BREAKING
The Metropolitan Police will not be issuing any further updates about the investigation into parties at Downing Street until after the May elections.

The force says the investigation will still continue during this time - so fines could in theory be issued.

But due to restrictions over communications in the run-up to an election, it will not issue updates.

Well that doesn't seem right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BREAKING

what more investigation can they be doing, shirley they have everything from the questionaires. wont look good for Met to delay, then theres dozens of fines.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So the law is not allowed to be enforced during purdah? Can anyone tell me what the breach would be?

no, it applies to civil service, government deparments not releasing policy. this is just a cop out really.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
BREAKING

So the law is not allowed to be enforced during purdah? Can anyone tell me what the breach would be?

The law will be enforced.
they won't be making announcements in the period up to the elections.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
no, it applies to civil service, government deparments not releasing policy. this is just a cop out really.

Yet it didn't stop Priti Patel announcing her Rwanda scheme, without it being passed by Parliament. She did it on the first day of purdah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here