Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Did anyone just see the party election broadcast : Conservative party on ITV? Absolutely laughable!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Yes, Pretty cringeworthy. Especially after watching the Partygate debate earlier.
They really think that repeating slogans at us thickos, will make us vote for them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Did anyone just see the party election broadcast : Conservative party on ITV? Absolutely laughable!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

bit low rent, maybe deliberately? focus on local, no sign of Johnson.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Home Office’s top civil servant has told thousands of his staff that they will not be breaking the law or be guilty of racism if they enforce Priti Patel’s plan to send people with rejected UK asylum claims to Rwanda.

Amid growing anger from the department’s workforce, Matthew Rycroft, the permanent secretary, faced questions at an online staff meeting asking if the home secretary’s policy of giving people a one-way ticket to Kigali was racist, while others demanded to know if the new policy was within international law.

Rycroft told staff they had to implement ministers’ decisions, and reminded them of the civil service’s neutral role, sources said.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Home Office’s top civil servant has told thousands of his staff that they will not be breaking the law or be guilty of racism if they enforce Priti Patel’s plan to send people with rejected UK asylum claims to Rwanda.

Amid growing anger from the department’s workforce, Matthew Rycroft, the permanent secretary, faced questions at an online staff meeting asking if the home secretary’s policy of giving people a one-way ticket to Kigali was racist, while others demanded to know if the new policy was within international law.

Rycroft told staff they had to implement ministers’ decisions, and reminded them of the civil service’s neutral role, sources said.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Is he saying "I was just following orders" is a legitimate defence in this case?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A bad day for Johnson.

Usually they wheel out Grant Shapps to defend him on Radio 4 when Johnson's conduct is particularly indefensible.

I look forward to listening to Grant squirming on the radio tomorrow morning then. Lol.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
remember the pollsters all failed to predict the swing to conservatives last election (about 20-35 seats lower) on election week, its hopeless to predict this far out. they'll have a lot of assumptions re-adjusted and overcompensating for previous error, producing new error.

Your memory is letting you down here - the opinion polls got that one right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50777965

But you're correct that basing election results in current polls is inaccurate - although, to be fair, the polling organisations don't say that; it's a snapshot of the state of play right now. But drawing any inferences from that is crazy.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The silly Pinnocio nosed bungle**** keeps waffling on about how much the UK is helping Ukraine yet off he goes to India, one of the few countries still buying huge amounts of oil and gas from Russia, to play the fool.

Screenshot 2022-04-21 203230.png

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A bad day for Johnson.

Usually they wheel out Grant Shapps to defend him on Radio 4 when Johnson's conduct is particularly indefensible.

I look forward to listening to Grant squirming on the radio tomorrow morning then. Lol.

I’ve spoken to GS a couple of times in the past couple of years and he comes over a decent person. Useless but decent

I guess that’s why he gets rolled out

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There was talk this morning that it would go through "on the nod" (meaning no division) because the government wouldn't oppose. And that appears to be exactly what is now going to happen (as Labour aren't going to force a vote, despite Starmer saying this morning they wanted one):

[tweet]1517145028778360835[/tweet]

One thing I would very much like to see Labour push forward: Boris might be able to obfuscate his way to being able to claim he didn't deliberately mislead parliament when he made various statements that have ultimately turned out to be untrue. What he cannot do, however, is continue to argue he hasn't deliberately misled parliament when on a number of occasions he has refused to correct the record after being informed that he had (whether deliberately or not) misled parliament. There are a number of non-partygate cases still outstanding, I believe, where he has been informed that his use of statistics (eg on crime figures) in parliament was misleading and he's a) not corrected the record, and b) subsequently used those same misleading figures again despite having been informed they were misleading. Failure to correct the record turns inadvertent misleading into deliberate misleading, as does continuing to use soundbites that he's been informed were misleading.

Labour needs to make sure this inquiry is broad enough to capture the non-partygate instances of Boris misleading parliament as well - as I believe some of those cases should be nigh on impossible for Boris / Tory MPs to obfuscate.

Failing to correct a false statement when shown the statement isn't true does not constitute misleading parliament if Johnson claims that making a false statement and failing to correct it was not done deliberately. It is all extremely simple.

When I trained as a scientist I was told to never argue motive. His detractors, therefore, may be accused of declaring that they are accusing him of deliberately misleading parliament only because they hope to unseat him as a consequence.

Nobody can ever prove Johnson's intentenions (unless they have a video of him confessing or, more likely, bragging about it), and he almost certainly knows this, so he is home and hosed.

Rinse and repeat, as each new fine, and the Sue White report, and whatever other transgressions, come to light.

The only people who can stop him are detractors in his own party. And they probably know this now too. So they will have to ponder whether they are or are not turkeys when the opportunity arises to initiate a vote on Christmas.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't catch his name but a talking head was banging on about a no confidence vote, earlier on 5-live
All very sensible stuff, no point kicking off with the 54 votes if they can't reach the 180 total.

The conversation then went onto a successor.

A couple of names were mentioned before the fella finally said words to the effect of:-

'im not even sure Liz Truss has enough backing, just yet'.

Begging the obvious question:-

Has Boris actually been that bad?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A bad day for Johnson.

Yes, you're right on this. But when things get really, really bad they wheel out Gove. Speaking of which, when was the last time we've had to endure Gove of late?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just seen the odds for the next Tory leader: Truss is favourite, closely followed by Hunt, Tugendhat and Wallace - what's remarkable about that list is that the four favourites are all Remainers. The membership of the party is still firmly anti-EU and I can't see those four as front-runners.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just seen the odds for the next Tory leader: Truss is favourite, closely followed by Hunt, Tugendhat and Wallace - what's remarkable about that list is that the four favourites are all Remainers. The membership of the party is still firmly anti-EU and I can't see those four as front-runners.

Tugendhat is better in every way by a long, long way than any other candidate. It’s too much to wish that he’d get the job.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

would it even matter? as long as they dont promise to rejoin, the membership will forget their previous view.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“Look, we really do have more important things to be dealing with” - Boris Johnson

Also Boris Johnson…

7D1AD82D-441C-4948-86E8-A8DC7E7800BC.jpeg

Jul 20, 2003

I reckon Steve Baker will have a run at it ... And he is thick as mince.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I reckon Steve Baker will have a run at it ... And he is thick as mince.

Steve Baker is to Comservatism what Corbyn was to Labour, he’ll play brilliantly with the hardcore contingent within the Conservative Party, but he’s not going to attract swing voters.

I’m not sure them picking anyone from the current cabinet would help them either TBH, they’re all far too tarnished by the way they’ve shown zero integrity and enabled and supported Johnson in undermining our institutions and the checks and balances of power.

To restore any trust, they need to select one of the MPs who have shown a bit of backbone and integrity throughout Boris’s reign. Tom Tugendhat or somebody of that ilk. I don’t think Brexiteer/Remainer matters any longer, we’ve left, and no Conservative MP is going to make rejoining the EU a Conservative Party policy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't catch his name but a talking head was banging on about a no confidence vote, earlier on 5-live
All very sensible stuff, no point kicking off with the 54 votes if they can't reach the 180 total.

The conversation then went onto a successor.

A couple of names were mentioned before the fella finally said words to the effect of:-

'im not even sure Liz Truss has enough backing, just yet'.

Begging the obvious question:-

Has Boris actually been that bad?

Ha ha ha…… but Yes Boris has been that bad.

Surely there must be contenders who could come in from outside the usual suspects of Johnson loyalists.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
would it even matter? as long as they dont promise to rejoin, the membership will forget their previous view.

In a normal world and among normal people, no. But the Tory party is stuffed full of hard-core Brexiters who think that anyone who doesn't support the hanging, drawing and quartering of any EU citizen found on British soil, is some namby-pamby Remoaner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here