Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Which Labour actually don't want. They want it to go through a vote, because any Tory who votes against gives them election campaign ammunition in the future.

I may be wrong but I think the vote is still going ahead, therefore there should be a published division list. Although the huge Tory abstention isn't as impressive on opposition election leaflets as 'look at these conservatives voting to keep a liar in power', they now have the committee going ahead and are able to say 'they couldn't even be bothered to turn up to vote for the investigation'

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Danny Kruger MP in defence of Johnson says, “ Patently he didn't break the law deliberately."

I’m going to write a letter to Nottingham City Council asking for my £60 fine back because I didn’t deliberately drive in a bus Lane, in fact,I didn’t even know it was a bus lane.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
BREAKING
No further Partygate updates from Met until after May elections
The Metropolitan Police will not be issuing any further updates about the investigation into parties at Downing Street until after the May elections.

The force says the investigation will still continue during this time - so fines could in theory be issued.

But due to restrictions over communications in the run-up to an election, it will not issue updates.

Peston has suggested on Twitter the PM would have to disclose these anyway before the elections if he were to be issued with FPN - and with the vultures circling pretty unfathomable it wouldn't be leaked if one (or indeed several) get issued before 5th May anyway.

Still poor from the Met.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The invasion of a sovereign nation by a dictatorial aggressor should not be a reason why we accept lower standards ourselves"

Conservative MP William Wragg sent his letter of no confidence in the prime minister in December

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Danny Kruger MP in defence of Johnson says, “ Patently he didn't break the law deliberately."

I’m going to write a letter to Nottingham City Council asking for my £60 fine back because I didn’t deliberately drive in a bus Lane, in fact,I didn’t even know it was a bus lane.

Pru Leith's son.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I may be wrong but I think the vote is still going ahead, therefore there should be a published division list. Although the huge Tory abstention isn't as impressive on opposition election leaflets as 'look at these conservatives voting to keep a liar in power', they now have the committee going ahead and are able to say 'they couldn't even be bothered to turn up to vote for the investigation'

There was talk this morning that it would go through "on the nod" (meaning no division) because the government wouldn't oppose. And that appears to be exactly what is now going to happen (as Labour aren't going to force a vote, despite Starmer saying this morning they wanted one):

[tweet]1517145028778360835[/tweet]

One thing I would very much like to see Labour push forward: Boris might be able to obfuscate his way to being able to claim he didn't deliberately mislead parliament when he made various statements that have ultimately turned out to be untrue. What he cannot do, however, is continue to argue he hasn't deliberately misled parliament when on a number of occasions he has refused to correct the record after being informed that he had (whether deliberately or not) misled parliament. There are a number of non-partygate cases still outstanding, I believe, where he has been informed that his use of statistics (eg on crime figures) in parliament was misleading and he's a) not corrected the record, and b) subsequently used those same misleading figures again despite having been informed they were misleading. Failure to correct the record turns inadvertent misleading into deliberate misleading, as does continuing to use soundbites that he's been informed were misleading.

Labour needs to make sure this inquiry is broad enough to capture the non-partygate instances of Boris misleading parliament as well - as I believe some of those cases should be nigh on impossible for Boris / Tory MPs to obfuscate.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
On Steve Baker, someone's obviously shown him the current polling which shows (on current polls) his seat going to Labour in an election

[tweet]1516458485407432717[/tweet]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will Johnson now cut short his India trip to try and save his job, now that he has been referred, or will he fill his diary with more trips to say his not available to be questioned.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Hove Tory MP candidate in 2019, Councillor Robert Nemeth, has proudly shared an image of himself with Jacob Rees-Mogg. Understandably, the reaction has been mixed!

Meanwhile, actual MP for Hove & Portslade met with President Biden during the St Patrick's Day celebrations. I know which of the two I would rather be photographed with.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will Johnson now cut short his India trip to try and save his job, now that he has been referred, or will he fill his diary with more trips to say his not available to be questioned.
No chance he cuts short his overseas jolly lol.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Tory MP candidate in 2019, Councillor Robert Nemeth, has proudly shared an image of himself with Jacob Rees-Mogg. Understandably, the reaction has been mixed!

Meanwhile, actual MP for Hove & Portslade met with President Biden during the St Patrick's Day celebrations. I know which of the two I would rather be photographed with.

What a **nt says the king of recycling bin collections.

IMG-20220421-WA0000.jpg

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
On Steve Baker, someone's obviously shown him the current polling which shows (on current polls) his seat going to Labour in an election

[tweet]1516458485407432717[/tweet]

I’m no psephologist, but I’m led to doubt that their modelling is necessarily right on the money. I looked with some interest at my own constituency, which is Woking.

371488C2-0479-4527-972B-12F5F04DBE0E.jpeg

I find it hard to envisage the LibDems losing vote share in the area, which this model suggests. I might well be wring but I’m not sure what they’ve seen to suggest such a big swing to a comfortably third place Labour? These numbers show the Labour/LibDem split handing the seat to the Tories. This is exactly the sort of seat that a progressive alliance should be targeting. If Labour stood aside, the seat might just about be in play. With both them and the LibDems campaigning, it’s a done deal for the Tories.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m no psephologist, but I’m led to doubt that their modelling is necessarily right on the money. I looked with some interest at my own constituency, which is Woking

remember the pollsters all failed to predict the swing to conservatives last election (about 20-35 seats lower) on election week, its hopeless to predict this far out. they'll have a lot of assumptions re-adjusted and overcompensating for previous error, producing new error.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Did anyone just see the party election broadcast : Conservative party on ITV? Absolutely laughable!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here