Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oddly the generation you refer to doesn't seem to have much money.

they have plenty collectively, a high value group for advertisers and free spending consumers that are funding many billion dollar companies. so why does internet thrive off this but a TV channel cant? money can be found for businesses that show they can make return, so saying finance is a blocker is a unfounded answer, unless its because there isnt serious market.

and look up Guardian's owner Scott Trust sale of Autotrader.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Roger Gale's remarks about not liking Boris's tone or what he said in yesterday's 1922 Backbench Committee seem to be corroborated by Starmer's comments in PMQ's about Boris's negative words re the Archbishop of Canterbury and the BBC.

It is clear that Boris's strategy is to try and move himself and the Tories on from Partygate and the message is clear - "we're getting on with the job".

That's all very well and what we would expect, except that you can't get on with the job if you have lied to the House on numerous occasions. You can't get on with ANY job as Prime Minister if you are a proven liar and found guilty as a lawbreaker.

Shame on his party for backing him. This morning I watched the pathetic Paul Scully on Sky's Kay Burley Show trying his best to defend Boris, and Starmer is quite correct in saying that when people see this they think all politicians are as bad as each other and it drags politics down into the gutter. However, I commend Roger Gale, Mark Harper and Tobias Ellwood for having the guts to get in front of the cameras and call him out on the lying. There are still a few men of honour in the Conservative Party.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The Daily Mail nailed its fascist colours to the mast before WW2 with their backing of Mosley and the Blackshirts. Viscount Rothermere has non dom status due to his father claiming French residency, but was part of the House of Lords before standing down.
He supports non dom status to avoid taxes. His great grandfather did well in WW1 and had a successful newspaper which is why he was made a Viscount, but the title was hereditary (see Tony Benn).

This.... thanks!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Roger Gale's remarks about not liking Boris's tone or what he said in yesterday's 1922 Backbench Committee seem to be corroborated by Starmer's comments in PMQ's about Boris's negative words re the Archbishop of Canterbury and the BBC.

It is clear that Boris's strategy is to try and move himself and the Tories on from Partygate and the message is clear - "we're getting on with the job".

That's all very well and what we would expect, except that you can't get on with the job if you have lied to the House on numerous occasions. You can't get on with ANY job as Prime Minister if you are a proven liar and found guilty as a lawbreaker.

Shame on his party for backing him. This morning I watched the pathetic Paul Scully on Sky's Kay Burley Show trying his best to defend Boris, and Starmer is quite correct in saying that when people see this they think all politicians are as bad as each other and it drags politics down into the gutter. However, I commend Roger Gale, Mark Harper and Tobias Ellwood for having the guts to get in front of the cameras and call him out on the lying. There are still a few men of honour in the Conservative Party.

....and let's hope there are tory voters in other constituencies who value those acts of integrity....

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Today is the day to write to your MP and let them know you are making the judgement on the next election on the basis of what they vote for in the commons

Absolutely although having had my response from Mims Davies here in Mid Sussex she is clearly still in thrall to Johnson. She managed to avoid using the words fine, guilty, party, police in her reply - its like a cult.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
When the Tories get SMASHED at the local Elections on the 5th May, which they will, then a lot of these so-called loyal MPs will get rid of him.

Tories back winners and Johnson is leading them to defeat at the next GE.
I really hope they get absolutely obliterated. But I do worry that it'll be just a bit bad for the Tories, in the sense that they could write it off as typical midterm council elections, then move on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oddly the generation you refer to doesn't seem to have much money.

Creating a TV channel from scratch requires colossal capital investment up front and prediction advertising revenue is very uncertain. There are already many 24 hour news channels. There is no way you would start a TV news channel as a way of making money. It's a way of supporting your other business interests.

I'm happy to look at any evidence you have to back up what you are saying about left leaning news groups setting up offshore. The left generally is against this set up so it would be very hypocritical

Andrew Neil, who was chairman of GBNews, said it was the biggest mistake of his career and he regrets it enormously. He didn't want to be part of 'British Fox News'.

“I had always made it clear that it wouldn’t be a British Fox News and I think you could do something different without going anywhere near Fox,” Mr Neil said.

“Fox deals in untruths, it deals in conspiracy theories and it deals in fake news.

“That’s not my kind of journalism and I would never have set out to do that.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/andrew-neil-gb-news-question-time-b1921793.html

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just my one annual post on politics to repeat my confusion how people 'have' political parties.

"Oh. I'm a tory voter".

What the hell does that even mean!? No matter what their policy, what they say, how they conduct themselves, you vote for them because you've declared so?

I find it STAGGERING that people feel the desperate need for belonging. I appreciate I am writing this on a football message board where we all follow the same team, but if someone said something negative about my team, I wouldn't defend it if I felt they had a point.

Yet, when it comes to politics, the idea of sticking to a party who can literally change their policies/beliefs is bonkers to me. And with that declaration, comes an almost cult following where those within the party have to be defended no matter what.

I can't fathom how ANYONE can defend him, 'tory' (whatever that means) or not.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Absolutely although having had my response from Mims Davies here in Mid Sussex she is clearly still in thrall to Johnson. She managed to avoid using the words fine, guilty, party, police in her reply - its like a cult.

They've probably been briefed/advised and sent standard issue avoidance reply templates

as I said, they know which side their breads buttered . . . . as long as they come up with a hoodwinking cunning plan just before the next GE, they will continue their shitshow at our expense, uncontested.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Similar to the response I received, except that somehow, either intentionally or deliberately, the email was forwarded from 'William Todd' her young parliamentary researcher! She really does herself no favours.......

This was 'her' message...

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. I have had many constituents write in to share their wide ranging thoughts, which include messages of support for the Prime Minister and Chancellor, as well as calls for changes. Rightly, I have wanted to review these approaches in full before coming back to you as swiftly as I could – this continues to be an evolving situation.

I share my constituents’ anger and real disappointment about what happened in Downing Street during the pandemic when Covid regulations were broken. However, the PM and the Chancellor have rightly apologised for the breaches. They made a mistake and both have faced the consequences.

Since these events, there has been a welcome major overhaul of the Downing Street operation and it is important to stress much has changed. It is also important to wait for Sue Gray’s full report into what was happening two years ago.

I continue to support Boris Johnson as we tackle serious domestic challenges around the cost of living and the war in Ukraine. His international leadership as our PM in response to the Russian invasion has been excellent, as President Zelensky acknowledged when the two met in Kyiv recently and we must continue to lead in our defence of peace in Europe .

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.

Kind regards,

Mims

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The Daily Mail nailed its fascist colours to the mast before WW2 with their backing of Mosley and the Blackshirts. Viscount Rothermere has non dom status due to his father claiming French residency, but was part of the House of Lords before standing down.
He supports non dom status to avoid taxes. His great grandfather did well in WW1 and had a successful newspaper which is why he was made a Viscount, but the title was hereditary (see Tony Benn).

The offshore media billionaires love the Tories, they don't properly investigate their misdemeanors in depth, are light touch on regulation, allow cross media expansion and look after the tax loopholes that benefit them.

Interesting, the UK is currently just 33rd in the World Press Freedom index and I can see us climbing any higher.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Roger Gale is a bit of a weird one. One moment he seems staunchly anti Boris and the next he claims now is the wrong time for a change etc etc. He's already got a knighthood so you wonder what, if anything, was promised to get him on board? Hopefully, he's gone back to wanting to get rid of him and is submitting his letter.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Similar to the response I received, except that somehow, either intentionally or deliberately, the email was forwarded from 'William Todd' her young parliamentary researcher! She really does herself no favours.......

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. I have had many constituents write in to share their wide ranging thoughts, which include messages of support for the Prime Minister and Chancellor, as well as calls for changes. Rightly, I have wanted to review these approaches in full before coming back to you as swiftly as I could – this continues to be an evolving situation.

I share my constituents’ anger and real disappointment about what happened in Downing Street during the pandemic when Covid regulations were broken. However, the PM and the Chancellor have rightly apologised for the breaches. They made a mistake and both have faced the consequences.

Since these events, there has been a welcome major overhaul of the Downing Street operation and it is important to stress much has changed. It is also important to wait for Sue Gray’s full report into what was happening two years ago.

I continue to support Boris Johnson as we tackle serious domestic challenges around the cost of living and the war in Ukraine. His international leadership as our PM in response to the Russian invasion has been excellent, as President Zelensky acknowledged when the two met in Kyiv recently and we must continue to lead in our defence of peace in Europe .

Kind regards,

Mims

It's interesting the governemnt roll out the 'doing a great job during a war' rhetoric when as a Western European (sic) country we couldn't be further detached from it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Roger Gale is a bit of a weird one.

The ex-Mrs Gwylan (who was a lawyer) did some work for Roger Gale back in the day. IIRC, it was to do with his work on animal rights. What was particularly strange was that she was a member of the Labour Party but he was happy to have her working with him. She said that he had a strange mix of views - some of which were to the left of the (then) Blair-led Labour Party - but some would put him on the right of the Tories

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just my one annual post on politics to repeat my confusion how people 'have' political parties.

"Oh. I'm a tory voter".

What the hell does that even mean!? No matter what their policy, what they say, how they conduct themselves, you vote for them because you've declared so?

I find it STAGGERING that people feel the desperate need for belonging. I appreciate I am writing this on a football message board where we all follow the same team, but if someone said something negative about my team, I wouldn't defend it if I felt they had a point.

Yet, when it comes to politics, the idea of sticking to a party who can literally change their policies/beliefs is bonkers to me. And with that declaration, comes an almost cult following where those within the party have to be defended no matter what.

I can't fathom how ANYONE can defend him, 'tory' (whatever that means) or not.

I completely agree. More people who change their vote according to the performance and beliefs of what they are voting for would make the world a better place.

I suppose it's part of the legacy of us being a tribal species that we seek to define ourselves with reference to political organisations, football teams, ideologies, or other societal subcultures. And I think that's fine as long as this choice to define yourself is revocable if that organisation is changing your values rather than reflecting them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Good afternoon,

Kind regards,

Mims

I had this however the email from Williams included the email addresses of other people which is surely a breach of data protection!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I'm intrigued as to whom KS's source is from that 1922 meeting.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm intrigued as to whom KS's source is from that 1922 meeting.

Some backbenchers were talking afterwards. It's interesting that Johnson is instigating a three line whip on the vote for Contempt of the House. If he was so confident in his 78 majority (or has it gone down to 77 now?) he would allow a free vote and then be able to brag about how all his MPs love him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here