Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Yes of course but let's ask the question and see who does what.

54 letters is what we need but are there 54 Tories who will put Country before Johnson ?
There probably are at least 54 who would put in a letter, but are there enough who would vote against him in the subsequent leadership contest? That would be the concern I guess - do it now and if he wins, they can't get rid for at least another year.

I suspect many will be holding out to see how the council elections go.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Polling numbers have started moving in favour of Labour again in the wake of Boris' fine. Not as dramatically as late last year, but I don't think we should have been expecting that. Having dipped to a low point of 38% for Labour around a month ago, the average Labour position is now back above 40% - but caveat on that is there's a lot of spread in the Labour poll results (so far in April ranging between 37% and 43%. On the other side, the Tory results have dipped a little. From a low point of 32% in mid Jan, they'd recovered to 35% and a gap to Labour of just 3% in mid-March. They've now drifted back to 34%. Less variability in the Tory results, most results a consistent 34% - but a couple of the most recent results at 33% and 32% might be a sign of worse to come.

Anyway ... upshot of it all is that in the last month the Labour lead has doubled from 3% to 6%, and apparently this is a more realistic position than back in Jan when the lead was 9% because Opinium have revised their methodology and the revisions mean the Labour lead in Opinium polls is significantly lower than it was previously.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No. I read bits of interest from all the papers online. It's fine to joke aboout Mail readers occasionally, same as Guardian readers, Sun readers and the rest. But a few NSC posters seem to believe Mail readers are simple cretins who believe everything they read in it and can't separate fact from opinion, truth from dogma etc. It's become a tired old trope to dilute sensible posts by denigrating others who disagree as Mail readers. Anyway, I'll grab my tin helmet and retire to enjoy the build up to the match. No more peeking at Politics threads today.

Agreed. It always amazes me the kicking The Mail / it's readers get. Anyone that reads the BBC News paper front page summary each day - as I do - would have seen over quite sometime now The Mail has been very critical of Johnson and his government. I'm surprised that The Express doesn't get the same hatred given they never bash Johnson, indeed they often have a completely different story on the front page from all the other papers when something breaks that is negative about Johnson and his government - which is almost every day now !

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
GB news looks like a clown show, but seems to be pulling in decent numbers

Why doesn’t a left leaning channel start up? There is nothing stopping them.

Money.

GB news is never going to be profitable, but if it can help keep the tories in power then their backers interests will be looked after.

The left doesn't have tax exiles and hedge fund owners supporting it in the same way

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agreed. It always amazes me the kicking The Mail / it's readers get. Anyone that reads the BBC News paper front page summary each day - as I do - would have seen over quite sometime now The Mail has been very critical of Johnson and his government. I'm surprised that The Express doesn't get the same hatred given they never bash Johnson, indeed they often have a completely different story on the front page from all the other papers when something breaks that is negative about Johnson and his government - which is almost every day now !

There is some truth in what you say, but I think the Mail gets a bigger bashing than the Express because of it's increased reach and that when push comes to shove, ie there's an election, everyone knows the Mail will be back in the fold and will say whatever tory central office wants it to say and that will have the greater influence on the outcome

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Listening to PMQs there is no chance he is losing a vote.

The party is well behind him

Today is the day to write to your MP and let them know you are making the judgement on the next election on the basis of what they vote for in the commons

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Daily Mail nailed its fascist colours to the mast before WW2 with their backing of Mosley and the Blackshirts. Viscount Rothermere has non dom status due to his father claiming French residency, but was part of the House of Lords before standing down.
He supports non dom status to avoid taxes. His great grandfather did well in WW1 and had a successful newspaper which is why he was made a Viscount, but the title was hereditary (see Tony Benn).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Today is the day to write to your MP and let them know you are making the judgement on the next election on the basis of what they vote for in the commons

I’m awaiting Henry Smiths response.

He will be an interesting one as he was against the restrictions and is now being asked to back Johnson

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Listening to PMQs there is no chance he is losing a vote.

The party is well behind him

He threatened all his backbenchers last night which is why Sir Roger Gale walked out after only a couple of minutes.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Money.

GB news is never going to be profitable, but if it can help keep the tories in power then their backers interests will be looked after.

The left doesn't have tax exiles and hedge fund owners supporting it in the same way

My guess is the left audience would likely get their news and opinion online through youtube channels such as Novara, whereas people who like Farage and vote that way are of a certain age group who still watch the telly

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
What ofcom rules do you think they have broken?

You can get away with a lot as a news outlet

I think given the heat they got at the start of they had broken any they would already have been fined.

They were slapped on the wrist by OFCOM for spreading misinformation about lockdown rules

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
When the Tories get SMASHED at the local Elections on the 5th May, which they will, then a lot of these so-called loyal MPs will get rid of him.

Tories back winners and Johnson is leading them to defeat at the next GE.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Money.

if there is the market then there should be the revenue and therefore the money - are you saying there isnt enough market? also left leaning news groups have engaged in tax avoidance and offshore setups to match the rest of them. the web is full of left leaning media, so perhaps this is generational. doesnt really anwser it though, i think its some sort of idealogical constraints.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
if there is the market then there should be the revenue and therefore the money - are you saying there isnt enough market? also left leaning news groups have engaged in tax avoidance and offshore setups to match the rest of them. the web is full of left leaning media, so perhaps this is generational. doesnt really anwser it though, i think its some sort of idealogical constraints.

Oddly the generation you refer to doesn't seem to have much money.

Creating a TV channel from scratch requires colossal capital investment up front and prediction advertising revenue is very uncertain. There are already many 24 hour news channels. There is no way you would start a TV news channel as a way of making money. It's a way of supporting your other business interests.

I'm happy to look at any evidence you have to back up what you are saying about left leaning news groups setting up offshore. The left generally is against this set up so it would be very hypocritical

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Sources?
Evidence?
Examples?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here