Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear - absolute quality

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
All my previous rants about the tv licence fee are now rendered irrelevant. That was quality TV

Loved Richard Hammonds comment "We are now at the cutting edge of cocking about"
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Gosh it was the business, wasn't it? In particular the Stig doing a ski jump and I loved it when they cut to Richard Hammond on daytime TV and they were drinking beer called "Aass". Quality:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, many a time have I heard Norwegians saying that you can't beat the taste of an ice cold Aass!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
1) That's not the Stigg but probably a stunt man

2) Clarkson may be a doctor of Engineering, however he was given the degree by some University and never studied once which is a complete mockery of the system.

Apart from that yes it was good television.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
adrian29uk said:
1) That's not the Stigg but probably a stunt man

2) Clarkson may be a doctor of Engineering, however he was given the degree by some University and never studied once which is a complete mockery of the system.

Apart from that yes it was good television.

And why do those reasons detract from the quality of the programme in any way whatsoever???

Whenever Clarkson mentions his doctorate it is with his tongue firmly in his cheek and the whole point of the Stig is that we never know who is under the overalls anyway!

Last edited:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Clarkson was awarded his honorary degree at the same ceremony as my brother was awarded his MSc. The contrast could not be greater, the former was presented his as recognition of his championing of Isambard Kingdom Brunel on the TV and for his contribution to entertainment, whereas my brother left school at 17 and worked his way up from being a YTS plumber to a Chartered Engineer through good honest graft over the space of about 15 years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rihard Hammond is rapidly becoming the new Noel Edmunds with the exception of the simple fact that Hammond is genuinely funny. Clarkson is always good value. What I wonder is how much each show costs to produce.

Mind you, having spent more than short while in the colonies it still puzzles me why the Americans don't have the equivelent of Top Gear or They Think Its All Over there.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Top Gear meets Brainiac, top quality TV, I would love to have played in that ice hockey match.

How on earth did they manage to get permission to do all that, that mini could have demolished that ski jump if it had gone wrong.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I thought lastnights show was absolutely quality. Those three guys are the luckiest bastards in the world to be paid to just piss about like they do. James and Richard slipping down the ski jump slope was well funny, and I'd love a game of car ice hockey.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I would imagine that a prog like Top Gear would never get on US TV in its current format. They are often very uncomplimentary about certain vehicles and Clarkson himself is not exactly 'PC'. They'd get pulled as soon as they described the latest Ford/GM/Chrysler car as a pile of poo, as most of the other progs on the channel would have been sponsored by one of them.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Jim D is right, much of American TV is bland and formulated, there is too much money involved for them to allow a programme that openly criticised a certain product as you see on Top Gear. Most Americans love British TV in comparison to their own as it is generally less biased and free to do pretty well what it wants.

Last nights programme was excellen, just a load of petrol heads being paid to dick around with cars and provide an hour of pretty good entertainment in the process.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jim D said:
I would imagine that a prog like Top Gear would never get on US TV in its current format. They are often very uncomplimentary about certain vehicles and Clarkson himself is not exactly 'PC'. They'd get pulled as soon as they described the latest Ford/GM/Chrysler car as a pile of poo, as most of the other progs on the channel would have been sponsored by one of them.

You talk about American TV and political correctness so I guess you've never heard of, let alone seen Howard Stern. He's a 'shock jock', not that uncommon there and although he's allegedly a talk show host he makes Benny Hill look like Shakespere.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I listened to Howard Stern on the radio a few years ago during a drive from Boston to Toronto. I have to say that I didn't find anything on his show at all shocking, in fact if you compare it to some of the things Chris Moyles and Scott Mills do on national radio, it was pretty tame. I have lived and worked with Americans and visited there several times on holiday, the whole experience made me glad to be British and to appreciate the freedom of expression that we have here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here