Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Blooms vision for the club (aka Olive Branch II)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Tony Blooms vision for the club

Out of interest in Poyet’s last season do you think TB made the right call to keep Poyet for the run in and play off games when he clearly wanted out after speaking to Reading?

I was younger than and not engaging in Albion chat in social media to know the various political ins and outs. But Poyet may still be my all time favourite Albion manager, great signings, elevated our stature, exciting football, my dad, his friends and I were gutted when for whatever reason he left.

At our best this and last season, some of the football we’ve played under Potter has been some of the best I’ve seen in my time watching the Albion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was younger than and not engaging in Albion chat in social media to know the various political ins and outs. But Poyet may still be my all time favourite Albion manager, great signings, elevated our stature, exciting football, my dad, his friends and I were gutted when for whatever reason he left.

At our best this and last season, some of the football we’ve played under Potter has been some of the best I’ve seen in my time watching the Albion.
Interesting, one of the best performances so far in the Amex era for me was the destruction of Norwich I started to believe after that game Hughton was the man to take us up. Poyet was ok far two many draws the team he had should of romped home in the automatics.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Interesting, one of the best performances so far in the Amex era for me was the destruction of Norwich I started to believe after that game Hughton was the man to take us up. Poyet was ok far two many draws the team he had should of romped home in the automatics.

That is true, we did play some lovely stuff under Hughton in the early days. Knocky was the Messi of the Championship.

It’s a shame that for whatever reason Hughton wouldn’t play like that when we reached the Prem.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That is true, we did play some lovely stuff under Hughton in the early days. Knocky was the Messi of the Championship.

It’s a shame that for whatever reason Hughton wouldn’t play like that when we reached the Prem.
I think he did of sorts the timing of the downturn coincided with Jose’s injury off the back of the Palace game. If you watch our goal at Stoke that personally was total football better than anything Potter has produced so far IMO of course.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tony Bloom might well have a vision for the club, but he still has to have a vision as to how to fund it. Maybe he's got a vision of the EPL billionaires clubs finally imploding in on theselves and the meek'n'neat'n'tidy family clubs inheriting the earth. Fair enough, may well happen, with an assist from the boy Covid. But relying on homegrown talent or discarded starlets from elsewhere has one major flaw: soon as you put them in the shop window, somebody's going to want to buy them. And the player and the agent are hardly going to be conscientious objectors to the sale for very long now are they? Tricky call for sure by the owner

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I think he did of sorts the timing of the downturn coincided with Jose’s injury off the back of the Palace game. If you watch our goal at Stoke that personally was total football better than anything Potter has produced so far IMO of course.

That was indeed a special goal. But I thought the winner vs. Everton at the Amex, yes ultimately an own goal, was equally breath-taking for its footballing quality.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Ahh that goal from Izzy was indeed very special. The one two - one - two finish.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Burnley take over has gone through. West Brom have Big Sam and no doubt cash in January. Tony needs to join in to catch some of the teams like Newcastle and Palace!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Tony Blooms vision for the club

Slightly hidden away, but good to see in print, for the fools here who seem to think the club expected top 10 this season:

Potter is grateful for the support of Albion fans he meets around the city who understand that the club's aim of becoming a top-ten club in the Premier League is a long-term objective.

“I would like to say thank you to the ones that have supported me, because there's quite a few out there that have throughout a difficult year. They understand what's happening and where we're trying to go.

“I want to promise them that we will be fighting every day to improve the team. It's been a tough year and I understand that not everyone is happy but the majority of the ones I have met have been amazing.”

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1961570/potter-were-fighting-every-day-to-improve

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Burnley take over has gone through. West Brom have Big Sam and no doubt cash in January. Tony needs to join in to catch some of the teams like Newcastle and Palace!

I doubt West Brom will be splashing the cash in January. They sold Hegazi in Oct for £4m as his contract was running down and that triggered the fall out between the owners and Bilic. Four mill in the PL is petty cash compared to staying up.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Thanks for that. It is an admirable ambition and one I hope we realise but in the meantime when we are likely to win a match?

This. Spot on. In order to achieve the long-term we have to also apply focus to the short-term. We are palpably failing to do so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
OP, there has to be a balance between the long term and the short term though doesn't there? I mean we've spent a fortune on our academy which will help us in the longer term and to a degree is helping us now, but the consequences are that we're getting outmuscled in the transfer market by the likes of Newcastle and Villa (and ahem Benfica) for strikers. They are getting up the league and we're going down it.

I don't think we should ignore the long term view, but if we do go down and spend a couple of seasons in the Championship we won't be able to run a Cat A academy with well funded women's and disabled teams and all that stuff.

The project relies on PL income and for that we need goals and for that we need to be competitive in the striker market.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Thanks for that. It is an admirable ambition and one I hope we realise but in the meantime when we are likely to win a match?

Maybe just maybe the vision is correct but Potter is not good enough to achieve it and he will have to find someone else who can.

Perfectly reasonable to not be convinced Potter is the person to deliver the vision.

FFS these self righteous posts are doing my head in. What I'm not convinced of is if we go down is Potter the man to get us back up.

False dichotomy. I don't want either of those. I want a coach who buys in to the long term strategy but stands up to the top brass when it comes to recruitment and doesn't pick a home team that contains two full backs playing at wing back and no strikers.

Hope that helps.

English Ajax :lolol:

It wouldn't be so bad if our youngsters were actually getting a chance, but no, we'd rather play Jahanbakhsh, Burn, Bernardo and Groß than Connolly, Sanders, Molumby, Roberts or Alzate. Only academy player that has come through under Potter and is playing regularly is Sanchez and that's only because his hand was forced by Ryan's awful form.

I’m in the Potter out camp, but not shouting for a fire fighter manager. I’ve got confidence that Bloom has a plan b list of managers that are aligned to how he wants to take the club forward. He took a gamble with Potter and unlike a lot of his decisions, this one hasn’t worked. Hopefully he will fix it before we go down.

Some people are just desperate for potter to be the right man that they look past the facts and our recent record over the last 18 months. I see nothing that will change if given another 18 months.

The boo boys annoy the long term project fans and visa versa.

The difference is that some are guessing while others focus on the crap that’s been served up already.

I wonder what Tony Blooms vision is for when we might win a football match.

"The English Ajax" :lolol::lolol::lolol:

You been at the New Year's Eve sherry already old boy?

So another dinosaur outwits Klopp again without a dodgy penalty. Oh, and a League Cup quarter-final too. Newcastle should have beaten Liverpool tonight. Callum Wilson - now that's someone who can usually find the net. More long-term vision there.

Vision getting stuck in the mud and lost in the fog

[emoji112]

If you lot had your way Graham Potter would have been sacked in the new year. Cheers to Tony Bloom and Paul Barber for being calm and ahead of the curve.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
[emoji112]

If you lot had your way Graham Potter would have been sacked in the new year. Cheers to Tony Bloom and Paul Barber for being calm and ahead of the curve.

My goodness!

Finding all those posts must have taken some effort.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
[emoji112]

What absolute twunt you are. Making everything about you and your Potter w@nkfest.

Also given you love digging up old posts please find the one where I say Potter should have been sacked in the new year. Thanks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What absolute twunt you are. Making everything about you and your Potter w@nkfest.

Also given you love digging up old posts please find the one where I say Potter should have been sacked in the new year. Thanks.

Silly bugger's full of himself/herself/non-binary-otherself today. Last night's match thread circa HT? Not so much :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here