Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to take over? [Merged threads]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't see why. If it's true, the club will announce it when the time suits them, not the NOTW or NSC.

If it's not true, won't the uncertainty undermine any negotiations? I mean are players going to want to deal with someone who may or may not be there next week, making all his promises irrelevant? Will they want to sign for a club hat isn't sure who is in charge?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What exactly is a binfest?

As I understand it, it's a thread that descends into a slanging match (posters simply attacking each other/each others' opinions without any real debate or connection to the original idea of the tread); a lot of rubbish, non sense posts etc,

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Given the complete absence of any firm evidence for this thread (Argus, club website etc) can I presume that everything on this thread is pure fantasy and I can safely ignore it rather than waste my time wading through endless pointless posts full of fiction and foundationless speculation based on absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Since when has the Argus ever been considered reliable?

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
As I understand it, it's a thread that descends into a slanging match (posters simply attacking each other/each others' opinions without any real debate or connection to the original idea of the tread); a lot of rubbish, non sense posts etc,

I Like donkeys.:shrug:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So, he's not going to get us in the premiership next year with a champions league win? Pfft. Don't want him then. He's not good enough.

So what you're saying is that nobody is good enough (or rich enough) to be in charge here, then?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If it's not true, won't the uncertainty undermine any negotiations? I mean are players going to want to deal with someone who may or may not be there next week, making all his promises irrelevant? Will they want to sign for a club hat isn't sure who is in charge?

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes but why should the promises be irrelevant? Whoever is doing the negotiating does so on behalf of the club, not on behalf of himself. If boardroom changes are on the way it doesn't automatically mean a change in policy or that player deals haven't already been agreed by board members/shareholders

In any case these are all internal club matters. We are not on the board, shareholders or staff, so they have no obligation to tell us anything until they choose to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Who knows what's going on behind the scenes but why should the promises be irrelevant? Whoever is doing the negotiating does so on behalf of the club, not on behalf of himself. If boardroom changes are on the way it doesn't automatically mean a change in policy or that player deals haven't already been agreed by board members/shareholders

Who knows? Everyone who reads the notw, everyone who checks out the fan message board before signing for a club, everyone who has contacts within football that spread the (sometimes baseless) gossip.

Maybe not all their promises, but suppose DK signs Michael Owen, make him the promise that if owen regains his form with us and there's premier league interest in him at christmas, he'll let him go, then bloom takes over, owen regains form, bolton make a move for owen, but bloom refuses to do a deal.

Sure, Owen could get it in writing, but imagine for him Knight's word is enough.

Yes, the deal is between the club and the player, but the chairman is also the person with whom the deal is made and for some people his word and character is as important as the contract and the club he represents.

Also, in today's football where players have a lot of power, they also have to have a good working relationship with their chairman, for those players, the man they deal with is very important.

I don't mean this as a definite argument that they should comment, just putting forward the other way of looking at it.

In any case these are all internal club matters. We are not on the board, shareholders or staff, so they have no obligation to tell us anything until they choose to.

Given the history of the club, and the promises the board made, though, I really don't like this argument/attitude. No, we don't need to know everything, nor do we have a "right" to know everything. But no one should be criticised for wanting to know, especially with the board's promise to be open with the fans, and I think it's wrong to criticise someone when they want to know about something important like were the power lies in the club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The NOTW article could be entirely based on a rumour started on NSC. This is all speculation until the Board announce otherwise.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
He sold that a while ago.

Fascinating really, Tony Bloom.

Apparently wealthy and pulling the strings with our club, and yet the only things we know are that he plays poker, has a house in australia and used to own premierbet.com.

somebody must surely know him from school or college or somewhere - any albion related anecdotes would be good, would be reassuring to hear that he's a proper albion fan?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Changing chairman , potential to be bankrolled this summer

Surely an official response is required unless its all bollocks

You do not run a Press Office by unilaterally making statements on unsubstantiated tittle-tattle or gossip, unless some immediate and direct effect (usually negative) on the club is taking place.

If and when there is a story to be told, then the club issues a press release or makes a statement.

The only time you get a comment on a story is if someone specifically asks them for it. Has anyone asked - through official channels - for a comment on this story?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
somebody must surely know him from school or college or somewhere - any albion related anecdotes would be good, would be reassuring to hear that he's a proper albion fan?

I'm 100% satisfied that Tony Bloom is a bona-fide, dyed-in-the-wool Albion fan. I've not met him, so I couldn't confirm definitively. However, his grandfather and uncle have both been on the Board of Directors. I have met his brother Darren, who is also a genuine Brighton fan. This was last year, and he was sitting down at a meal in Hove with Dick Knight at the time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm 100% satisfied that Tony Bloom is a bona-fide, dyed-in-the-wool Albion fan. I've not met him, so I couldn't confirm definitively.

Slight contradiction. :laugh:

But I know what you're saying, I couldn't believe Tony Bloom is anything other than Albion through and through. I don't really think Dick Knight needs replacing, but at the same time I think that if Bloom is putting all the money in then I think he deserves more recognition that he currently gets and I would be in favour of a younger man leading the club, with Dick keeping a role in some form.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Slight contradiction. :laugh:

But I know what you're saying, I couldn't believe Tony Bloom is anything other than Albion through and through. I don't really think Dick Knight needs replacing, but at the same time I think that if Bloom is putting all the money in then I think he deserves more recognition that he currently gets and I would be in favour of a younger man leading the club, with Dick keeping a role in some form.

Yeah, got me there.

I'm saying is that while I have no doubt, I just don't know for a fact.

Oh, bollocks, done it again.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Who knows? Everyone who reads the notw, everyone who checks out the fan message board before signing for a club, everyone who has contacts within football that spread the (sometimes baseless) gossip.

Maybe not all their promises, but suppose DK signs Michael Owen, make him the promise that if owen regains his form with us and there's premier league interest in him at christmas, he'll let him go, then bloom takes over, owen regains form, bolton make a move for owen, but bloom refuses to do a deal.

Sure, Owen could get it in writing, but imagine for him Knight's word is enough.

Yes, the deal is between the club and the player, but the chairman is also the person with whom the deal is made and for some people his word and character is as important as the contract and the club he represents.

Also, in today's football where players have a lot of power, they also have to have a good working relationship with their chairman, for those players, the man they deal with is very important.

I don't mean this as a definite argument that they should comment, just putting forward the other way of looking at it.

Given the history of the club, and the promises the board made, though, I really don't like this argument/attitude. No, we don't need to know everything, nor do we have a "right" to know everything. But no one should be criticised for wanting to know, especially with the board's promise to be open with the fans, and I think it's wrong to criticise someone when they want to know about something important like were the power lies in the club.

I'm not criticising you for wanting to know - I bet I want to know as much as you do!

It's just that some seem to think that we have a right to know and we simply don't!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, got me there.

I'm saying is that while I have no doubt, I just don't know for a fact.

Oh, bollocks, done it again.

I know exactly what you're saying actually, all the evidence and rational thought points toward him being a diehard Albion fan, but without knowing him you can't consider it a fact.

Knotty, I think we do have a right to know who is running our club. We don't have the right to suggest someone other than who is, should be in the job. But we have the right to know who is involved with running our club and what they're doing, we're all stakeholders afterall with our season tickets and club shop purchases.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I know exactly what you're saying actually, all the evidence and rational thought points toward him being a diehard Albion fan, but without knowing him you can't consider it a fact.

Knotty, I think we do have a right to know who is running our club. We don't have the right to suggest someone other than who is, should be in the job. But we have the right to know who is involved with running our club and what they're doing, we're all stakeholders afterall with our season tickets and club shop purchases.

I would question that we are stakeholders just because we are customers. I certainly don't consider myself to be a stakeholder, although I wish I was!

And a right to know who is chairman? I suppose we do because every company has to file certain information with Companies' House and some of that must be available to the public.

A right to know about boardroom appointments/resignations etc. while they are happening? Certainly not until the club/company wishes to make it public.

I would also question that we have ' a right to know what they are doing'. In that context what rights do you think the purchase of match tickets or a replica shirt should give us over and above those purchases? What extra rights should we be entitled to when we buy a pint of beer or a tank of petrol?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here