Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Fraser - What's the Point?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In an ideal world I think Fraser would be a squad player. He is still young and would benefit from having a few older heads alongside him to learn from.

However, in our current predicament he is in the starting line-up and is proving he is worth a place on current form.

He is doing very well in a difficult situation, so why knock him?

I interviewed Dean Wilkins once and he could not speak highly enough of Fraser. That is good enough for me.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
For me, the reason he is playing is this. Russell came in and has quickly realised we have players at the club who don't really give a shit. Jarrett and Birchall are two examples, and just happen to be central midfielders. Because of this, Russell has binned them. He's also seen at Scunthorpe just what a holocaust playing defenders (El Abd and Virgo) in midfield is. So quite rightly he's binned them too. Unfortunately we lost Bangura to injury. Had we not, Fraser wouldn't be in the team now anyway. So Russell quickly realised we had a problem in the midfield area and he made a shrewd signing in Dicker (who is class). But who to play with him? Well the options after all of the above are bare. And Fraser is therefore not the best option but the ONLY option.

Anyway, yes the renewed fighting spirit is clearly the reason we're on such a good run. I don't think anyone, whatever their opinion on an individual player, could disagree with that. And it's all credit to Russell for making that happen.

I accept we've had to play Fraser in recent weeks and I accept he'll be there on Saturday, but to me he is a clear indication now of what our ambition is. We can argue all day long about the job he's doing now, but next season (if we're in league one) then the aim will be to reach the upper end of it. And I don't think anyone could claim he's good enough to start each week in a team hoping for promotion. So if the club are serious about getting us where we belong in time for Falmer then Fraser will be released. If he's kept but two or three central midfielders are in place ahead of him by August then still there is a chance we're serious. But if he's a fixture in the side next year then, to me at least, we're a club going nowhere who haven't really got a clue about how to progress. Same goes for a few others.

I actually do agree with a lot of what you've said there, but a point I would make is that we are not talking about whether Fraser should be in our team in 6 months or a years time, we are talking about now.

I think Fraser will improve with time, and next season he will hopefully come in to his own. If he doesn't however, then I agree we my need someone with a bit more quality to fill the starting place in midfield, if we are to get out of this league. I do think that Fraser would be a more than adequate replacement though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Let's see how Slade or the future manager feels agout Frawer before writing him off. Some of this shit that gets churned out by wannabe football pros is laughable. Some might watch more football than most, but it does not mean they have a better understanding. Fraser comes in for unnecessary stick. Why? Becuase he is not a flair player. The one that the younger fan is sused to. Maybe?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
So strange that a couple of people are devoting so much energy to attacking one of our young players who is fighting for the cause, that who since his recall to the side we have started winning again, and with one crucial game left of our season. What motivates people like you?

Fraser is young (21 for gods sake) and is clearly playing a role, no team gets 13 points from 6 games playing with 10 men. He's not the finished article, won't be for a while, and I expect he'll be a squad player next season. He can tackle, he can pass - but he needs two things, more physical strength and better reading of the game. I hope hes working on the first, second will come with experience.

Biggest irony of all is that the loanees are slagged off for showing no passion, then Fraser shows the opposite and is called a nob for it. Strange days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here