Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Fraser - What's the Point?

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
This season we have suffered from a lack of leaders on the pitch. Tommy at times has been the only player on the pitch trying to motivate and cajole his fellow players. At times that has been enough to warrant his place in the team.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well you'll guess wrong. I've known Tom since he was about 7 or 8 years old and a better bloke you couldn't wish to meet. Yes, skill-wise he won't get into an all-time Albion XI (at the moment), but there is SO much more to football than just picking the eleven best footballers and assuming that's the best team. Recently he's been starting games (and finishing them) and recently we've had a good run of results. I'm not for a moment claiming it's single-handedly down to Tom but there IS a connection, even if you can't see it.

And even his 'start a fight in an empty room' attitude (roundly criticised in this thread) has its place, especially in a team scrapping it out in a relegation dogfight. With a midfield full of 'nicey-nicey' players all flattering to deceive we'd be already relegated by now. You need that Oatway-type character, and I've pointed out before that when Oatway was Tom's age (21) he was playing non-League for Yeading.

blimey, some sense! This is TF's 1st decent run in the team and our 1st run of decent results - sounds like RS should make changes, perhaps play Carole, Birchall, or other free loaders. Loft, Hart and Fraser are playing their hearts out for the Albion and for their futures.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I love the club, doesn't mean i'm going to be a good footballer for it though does it.

That's because you haven't got the ability, whereas Fraser has.

All this "He only runs around kicking people and starting fights" talk is absolute nonsense. He has good footballing ability and his desire is matched by few at the club. Fraser has been a regular in the team and has played no small part in our good run of late.

Slade's belief in him should surely convince people that he warrants his place in the team.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well said, Mr Brovion. He was seen to be good enough last season and we were an efficient side. He seems to be a young Charlie Oatway, way off his peak. Some people do not appreciate the fact that not all players have to be the complete package to be an effective part of the team. THERE IS NO 'I' IN TEAM.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I bet the vast majority of players would have reacted in a similar manner. He headed the ball off the line from under the crossbar and because his feet were behind the line and he leant forward the lino gave it as a goal. Disgraceful decision. Tommy is always committed and plays to the best of his ability.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Brilliant thread :rolleyes: Just as we have the chance to perform a miracle come back, Someone slags off one of the players instrumental in getting 13 points in 6 games. Smacks of trying to be popular with the rest of the chumps who slag players off every week, however they play.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I bet the vast majority of players would have reacted in a similar manner. He headed the ball off the line from under the crossbar and because his feet were behind the line and he leant forward the lino gave it as a goal. Disgraceful decision. Tommy is always committed and plays to the best of his ability.

Hold your horses, SoG. He is obviously a twat for (perhaps) believing that he had stopped a crucial goal. Most of us ex-professional footballers would have kept our cool and shrugged it off. His behaviour was sickening...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hold your horses, SoG. He is obviously a twat for (perhaps) believing that he had stopped a crucial goal. Most of us ex-professional footballers would have kept our cool and shrugged it off. His behaviour was sickening...

Conceding a dubious goal that could see your team relegated would upset anyone or perhaps he thought for a moment he was a Manure player and could get away with giving the lino a bit of verbal :laugh:

Dandyman

In London village.
Well you'll guess wrong. I've known Tom since he was about 7 or 8 years old and a better bloke you couldn't wish to meet. Yes, skill-wise he won't get into an all-time Albion XI (at the moment), but there is SO much more to football than just picking the eleven best footballers and assuming that's the best team. Recently he's been starting games (and finishing them) and recently we've had a good run of results. I'm not for a moment claiming it's single-handedly down to Tom but there IS a connection, even if you can't see it.

And even his 'start a fight in an empty room' attitude (roundly criticised in this thread) has its place, especially in a team scrapping it out in a relegation dogfight. With a midfield full of 'nicey-nicey' players all flattering to deceive we'd be already relegated by now. You need that Oatway-type character, and I've pointed out before that when Oatway was Tom's age (21) he was playing non-League for Yeading.

Well said. The slagging Fraser gets from some people on here amazes me. The work he does off the ball in terms of cover and movement and the sheer effort he puts in wins his place for me.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Ridiculous thread ... you need a few scrappers in the team, and Fraser's developing nicely. Fraser/Loft is certainly working a lot better than the farce of a midfield we've had the rest of the season.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Good to see more and more and coming to their senses and saying what I noticed two years ago.

Lots of running without getting near the ball does not a player make!

I think you'll find that more and more people are waking up to the fact that he is a decent player actually, and one that deserves his place in the team.

You're stubbornness in refusing to believe otherwise is ridiculous.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have always been a fan of Fraser. Some people just do not appreciate the quite disciplined job he does in our team.

If he does not go wide, people blame him - even though it has been obvious right back to the days when Wilkins used him on the right, that he is a player managers like to tuck in and play more central.

He has never EVER been used as a WINGER winger.

Fraser is neat, tidy, works hard, has BUNDLES of passion and is one of the few players who seems capable of regularly sticking to his manager's instructions.

He would certainly be a better holding defensive midfielder than Adam El Abd.

Anyway, if Fraser left who else would notch out overhead kicks?

Oh and THE SUN's Forster interview said Tommy ELPHICK was shocking in training, not Tommy FRASER.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here