Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Sun - "Coppell in Knight Bid"

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
This has appeared in today's Sun (16/11):

"Reading hope to cash in on striker Leon Knight's rift with Brighton Boss Mark McGhee.

Furious Knight, 21, is considering his future after being axed in favour of Steve Claridge, 38 for Saturday's 1-0 win at West Ham.
And Reading boss Steve Coppell will be first in the queue to snap up the hitman who thrived under him at Withdean.

A Brighton insider said "Relations between Leon & the boss are strained & its difficult to see a way back."

Ipswich & West Ham are also keeping tabs on the situation."

Oct 19, 2004
Hastings
johnny jigsaw said:
This has appeared in today's Sun (16/11):

"Reading hope to cash in on striker Leon Knight's rift with Brighton Boss Mark McGhee.

Furious Knight, 21, is considering his future after being axed in favour of Steve Claridge, 38 for Saturday's 1-0 win at West Ham.
And Reading boss Steve Coppell will be first in the queue to snap up the hitman who thrived under him at Withdean.

A Brighton insider said "Relations between Leon & the boss are strained & its difficult to see a way back."

Ipswich & West Ham are also keeping tabs on the situation."

This might court controversy but I think McGhee could bring in a player better suited to our situation if he got a reasonable amount of money - say 50k and 75% of Knight's wages. It all depends on the exact details of the sell on clause Chelsea insisted on.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Lets face it he is not scoring but he is working hard

MM may sell him on to get another big centre forward but i think knight and claridge will set knight off on his way to a few goals.

I hope he stays i think he has worked hard this season

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
From The Sun, must be true :rolleyes:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
johnny jigsaw said:

A Brighton insider said

A Good way of not having to have any actual evidence :rolleyes:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
If we sell him you can bet your life we won't see a penny of whatever it is for team strengthening.... Chelsea will get 50% and Falmer/save the club will get 50%... It's bollocks anyway.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Trigger said:
If we sell him you can bet your life we won't see a penny of whatever it is for team strengthening.... Chelsea will get 50% and Falmer/save the club will get 50%... It's bollocks anyway.

ah but that leaves us with 1% left.....oh hang on, i really need to re-take maths :(

Lush

Mods' Pet
I have to say I find it frustrating that because Knight is such a different striker - ie such a short arse - the WHOLE team has to be designed around him (can't play Jakey with him up front, can't play Harty with him up front, need a brick shit house alongside, can't play high balls into box except at set plays etc etc ).

If Knight went and we had a more normal striker we'd have more options IMHO.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Typical non-story really. No direct quotes from anyone.

I hope Leon IS upset at being dropped for a 38 year old. Competition for places is always healthy, and if Leon is having to fight for his place in the team, then that can only be a good thing. Virgo's suspension means Leon will obviously be straight back in the team from Saturday anyway, but its good to know that we (finally) have another viable option up-front, even if he is 38. Whether Leon was good, bad or indifferent, he would always be in the starting lineup, but as we saw on Saturday, that may not always be the case now. Lets see the reaction.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im really hoping Leon and Claridge hit it off over the next few games, if Leon does get going hes a classy striker and can move us out of any danger in this division pretty much single handidly.

Hes still our best finisher by some way.

Come on Leon
:clap: :clap:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
As what the lady Lush above said :thumbsup:

Potential to be an execellent player. But needs an attitude adjustment course :p :lolol:

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
What would we have to gain by selling him. Its not like we'd get any money...

..Anyway, he's DOPE in my opinion, and should play with Claridge.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If I had to make up a story based on a player being dropped to the bench for one game, that is exactly what I would write. Make up a manager / player rift, chuck in the name of an old manager, bing bang boom, you've filled a bit of space on a page without having to call anyone, get any quotes or do any research.

Absolute bollocks.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Easy 10 said:
Typical non-story really. No direct quotes from anyone.

I hope Leon IS upset at being dropped for a 38 year old. Competition for places is always healthy, and if Leon is having to fight for his place in the team, then that can only be a good thing. Virgo's suspension means Leon will obviously be straight back in the team from Saturday anyway, but its good to know that we (finally) have another viable option up-front, even if he is 38. Whether Leon was good, bad or indifferent, he would always be in the starting lineup, but as we saw on Saturday, that may not always be the case now. Lets see the reaction.

Here here .....more options the better, competition for places normally improves performance

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
lost in london said:
If I had to make up a story based on a player being dropped to the bench for one game, that is exactly what I would write. Make up a manager / player rift, chuck in the name of an old manager, bing bang boom, you've filled a bit of space on a page without having to call anyone, get any quotes or do any research.

Absolute bollocks.

journalism eh !:lolol:

blueandwhitearmy

Oct 29, 2004
Bevendean
I think he is a good player and hope that he stays, he is starting to work a lot harder after a lazy start to the season, however if we were to get a big enough fee (400k) then I wouldn't be devastated to see him go, in this division he is nothing special and I think West Ham and Ipswich wouldn't really need his services with Harewood, Zamora, Sheringham, Bent, Kuqi and Counago. Even Reading seem to be scoring enough.
Swap: Zamora for Knight?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
blueandwhitearmy said:

Swap: Zamora for Knight?

How about Knight for Kitson :drink:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Typical tabloid filler. Journo sees Knight didn't play at West Ham, thinks "there must be some mileage in this" and quickly knocks out a space-filler. Stick down the name of his previous manager and add 2 big team names. Bingo Bango, you've filled a bit of space.

It's a hard life being a tabloid sports journalist isn't it?

It's like those big headlines that scream things like "ROBBO FURY WITH WENGER" and the actual quote is something like "as much as I respect him, I have to say I think he's got that wrong". Take THAT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here