Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Sun - "Coppell in Knight Bid"

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lush said:
...can't play high balls into box except at set plays etc etc ).

were 3 of his first 4 goals not headers from open play Lush? :)
I remember that clearly, maybe not all open play but he did start of scoring with his head!

As for the Suns story, they just looked at the situation and made a story out of it IMO just to fill abit of space. Either that or Leons Agent is after some cash so started to spreadshit like Hardings Agent re Everton. Agents should be SHOT!

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
He is free to talk to other clubs in January about leaving on a free as he is out of contract.

Would be a shame to lose him without any money!

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
What's the betting our 'insider' friend is Knight's agent? Be nice to get a little signing fee, just in time for Christmas....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would lke him to stay as yopu always need a back up srtiker, as has been proved and Cl;aridge isnt going to play every game.

The fee that we would get after Chelsea take their 50% would not be sufficient to sign a new player or a barrister spend any time in court arguing for Falmer.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Whether the story is true or not, it does raise the issue of Knight's attitude to being dropped. I would hope that he will raise his performance in training and matches (although I don't think he's played that badly). If he starts moaning and throwing his toys out of the pram, as he did at Sheff Weds when they moved him out to the wing, then I'd rather not have him as part of the squad anyway.

Kev the Ape

johnny jigsaw said:
This has appeared in today's Sun (16/11):

"Reading hope to cash in on striker Leon Knight's rift with Brighton Boss Mark McGhee.

Furious Knight, 21, is considering his future after being axed in favour of Steve Claridge, 38 for Saturday's 1-0 win at West Ham.
And Reading boss Steve Coppell will be first in the queue to snap up the hitman who thrived under him at Withdean.

A Brighton insider said "Relations between Leon & the boss are strained & its difficult to see a way back."

Ipswich & West Ham are also keeping tabs on the situation."

You can f*** off reading. You got enough strikers. :angry:

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Re: Re: Today's Sun - "Coppell in Knight Bid"

Kev the Ape said:
You can f*** off reading. You got enough strikers. :angry:

A valid point (the latter that is!).

The only reason we might use him is for cover while a couple of the main strikers are injured.

We've got:

Kitson
Forster
Goater
Owusu
Morgan

...already. Which is enough IMO unless we lose Forster to long-term injury rather than short-term. He's difficult to replace.

Kev the Ape

Re: Re: Re: Today's Sun - "Coppell in Knight Bid"

Wilts said:
A valid point (the latter that is!).

The only reason we might use him is for cover while a couple of the main strikers are injured.

We've got:

Kitson
Forster
Goater
Owusu
Morgan

...already. Which is enough IMO unless we lose Forster to long-term injury rather than short-term. He's difficult to replace.

How long he out for??

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The Sun story does smell of bullshit and/or agent mischief but i'll offer an opinion on the basis that it has elements of truth.

MM was right to drop Leon on Sat. As MM stated on Ceefax yesterday fans (and i might players) need to realise that you have to make the best of your resources and adapt accordinlgy to each situation, and of course the overall strategy of survival in this division.

We had a plan on Sat, it was never going to be pretty but it worked. Claridge offered us the ability to hold the ball up. If Leon had played we still may have hoofed balls up to him which would have frustrated him, he'd drop his shoulders and then get subbed in a huff. If it was played to feet you can bet your life the Hammers players would know his volatility and would have whacked him a few times and then possibly got a reaction leading to a sending off. Additionally the Hammers faithful would soon have been on his back with diving tendency.

Leon needs to see the bigger picture and ultimately his annoyance should be all the motivation he needs to show 100% commitment to the team and fans.

If he really has thrown the toys out of the pram i would gleefully wave goodbye to him. I'd laugh if either West Ham or Reading signed him. He won't solve any of their problems as neither his attitude or ability would appear so far ,to be suited to Championship standard football. Their fans would could be even more intolerant to his child like 'hissy fits', and particularly at West Ham he would no longer be a relative 'big cheese' in the team. Can you imagine him trying to pull the big "i am" with players like Lomas and Hutchinson.

Grow up Leon and gain respect! You can't live on the fact that you were once at Chelsea!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Leon is our best striker, IMHO... why would we want to sell him?... he is still the most likely to score in our team and, if we sell, we will get only a proportion of the proceeds because of the sell-on... also, how much of what is left would go towards buying a replacement?... again, little to none of the money...

Also, Coppell said publicly that he would not buy any of our players... and he doesn't need a new striker... I would also be very surprised if WHU or Ipswich would be interested...

This story has to be a pile of sh1te...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
_wilka_ said:
He is free to talk to other clubs in January about leaving on a free as he is out of contract.

Would be a shame to lose him without any money!

Actually, his contract expires in the summer... and it wouldn't be a free because of his age...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
_wilka_ said:
He is 22 now and I think that does mean he can leave on a free.

Andy Hughes was 23 when signed on a Bosman and he wasn't free... think its the same for all < 24 years old.

By the way METALMICKY - top post.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Wilts said:
think its the same for all < 24 years old.

Indeed, although what a tribunal would set I don't know - 500k? It might work in our favour if it looked as goals last year, but we'd still make little profit from him. Keep him, he's our best striker without question, he would only he really noticed when he's gone.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I can't believe that for a second, but if Coppell or anyone took him off our hands and it gave McGee the funds to get somebody who can stand up for over 5 minutes at a time it'd be great

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
METALMICKY said:

Grow up Leon and gain respect! You can't live on the fact that you were once at Chelsea!

And I think we're now seeing why he is no longer at Chelski and didn't stay long at other clubs prior to joining us.

He's been good for us but he needs to do what MetalMicky says-grow up and earn respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here