Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Manchester Weather

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Rain adds to Lancashire anxiety
County Championship D1, Old Trafford (no play on day two, rain): Durham 255-4 v Lancashire
Match scorecard

The weather could put the final nail in the coffin of Lancashire's inadequate title bid.

Perennial failures Lancashire were again frustrated in their penultimate Championship game of the season.

Heavy rain drenched the outfield on Thursday and prevented any play taking place on day two against Durham.

The visitors made 255-4 in 109 overs on Wednesday, meaning Lancs have only 21 more overs to take five wickets and the final two bowling bonus points.

Mushy inspired Sussex have 220 points (15 games) and Lancs 201 (14), with 22 on offer per game - 14 for a win and eight bonus.

Lancashire have not won a County Championship title outright since 1934 and the northern whingers that comprise their membership have long cited the weather as one of the reasons.

When Lancs were runners-up to Sussex in 2003 chairman "Fat" Jack Simmons made tongue-in-cheek comments about the club relocating to the south coast but then realised that just made him sound like a jealous twat.

Lancashire have been saved from defeat in six of their games this season that have already been affected by the weather compared with their title rivals who have had to earn all their points fair and square.

Last edited:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Updated Lancs Squad Photo

i

Attachments

• grapes-print.jpg
    grapes-print.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 221

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
:lolol: :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Even by local standards it has hammered it down today. This is of course fantastic news, except that the roof on my extenstion was supposed to be going up today, and it ain't looking too healthy through the hole in the kitchen ceiling that I am currently looking thru

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
El Presidente said:
Even by local standards it has hammered it down today. This is of course fantastic news, except that the roof on my extenstion was supposed to be going up today, and it ain't looking too healthy through the hole in the kitchen ceiling that I am currently looking thru

Would you have gone to watch the cricket?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
If they get one more days full play they can have no complaints. We only had two days play available against Durham and still won.

Jul 20, 2003
Timbo said:
If they get one more days full play they can have no complaints. We only had two days play available against Durham and still won.

SHABASH

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So what do we want to happen? If Durham declare then Lancs can't get maximum bowling points, on the other hand we don't want the two teams to try and contrive a result. I think I'd rather Durham batted on even if it means Lancs eventually getting maximum bowling points.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brovian said:
So what do we want to happen? If Durham declare then Lancs can't get maximum bowling points, on the other hand we don't want the two teams to try and contrive a result. I think I'd rather Durham batted on even if it means Lancs eventually getting maximum bowling points.

Lancs can only get bonus points for the next 21 overs anyway, so they would be unlikely to get 5 more wickets, unless Durham were after quick runs.

Personally I would like Durham to bat and bat and bat and bat, until Saturday afternoon, leaving no time for Lancs to get any batting points.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
hans kraay fan club said:
Lancs can only get bonus points for the next 21 overs anyway, so they would be unlikely to get 5 more wickets, unless Durham were after quick runs.

Personally I would like Durham to bat and bat and bat and bat, until Saturday afternoon, leaving no time for Lancs to get any batting points.

must be the right answer

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
I think they will contrive a result. Durham need a win to ensure safety, Lancs need a win to stand a realistic chance of taking the title. I reckon Durham will bat and bat, two innings will be forfeited and Lancashire will be asked to overhaul Durham's first innings total and forfeit the 5 potential batting points...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here