Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toby Agdestein

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
As close to word-for-word as I could manage after listening to the interview again.

"Toby's been with us, and right now he's looking like that striker we've been trying to get. He's gonna stay with us, he's practically a first-team player."

I interpret that as 'he's not going anywhere (even on loan) and will be getting plenty of first-team action in the near future'.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Yes leave our top goalscorer on the bench :s

Yes, sad fact of life, given the same amount of pitch time that Barnes has had, add in a bit of midfield support and craft from an other..... Hoskins and Toby will readily outshine your golden boy..... easily.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
As close to word-for-word as I could manage after listening to the interview again.

"Toby's been with us, and right now he's looking like that striker we've been trying to get. He's gonna stay with us, he's practically a first-team player."

I interpret that as 'he's not going anywhere (even on loan) and will be getting plenty of first-team action in the near future'.

I think it meant stay with the 1st team. Not back to the Dev squad.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
When Toby has been used in competitive games it has been in the wide role, like most of the Lewes game. I felt he looked a lot more dangerous when he went up top for 15 mins. Like welbeck and a young heskey (awaits hoots of derision) his skill set means he can do a job out wide but his best position is through the middle.
On the midfielder subject, dont think he needs to be a box to box type justs needs to be a bit more attacking/creative with his passing. When Dicker and Sparrow play together both are far too happy to shift it sideways or back, yes this is a big part of how we play but too many times last season and last night they recieved the ball and didnt even look to see if anyone was available further forward. If Dicker in particular had done, Toby could have had 4 or 5 as his movement off the ball was excellent.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The right kind of midfielder (Sidwell?) and the continued emergence of Hoskins and Agdestein would do very nicely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't expect Vicente to run basically, against Leicester too, I think Chris Wood would have been quicker...!

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
You should have been at the Derby game, crikey his pace was completely lost

I know he's not slow or anything like Benni McCarthy or something but he's not as fast as he used to be. To play on the wing like he used to required that pace he had that he no longer has FULLY.

Gus fundamentally disagrees with you.

Obviously Gus hasn't agreed up till now or else the lad would have been starting. I do note Gus said yesterday that we are starting to mould Toby into the player we want and maybe then he will become a regular, but I still think its as unlikely not to happen as it is to happen at this point in time.

I'm happy to be wrong on this one I just think eventually when a youngster doesn't make the step up to regular 1st team footy becomes the time to say fairwell.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Have you seen Adgestien play? He's got a lot more about him than Chris Mcphee.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes, sad fact of life, given the same amount of pitch time that Barnes has had, add in a bit of midfield support and craft from an other..... Hoskins and Toby will readily outshine your golden boy..... easily.

A player who spent the whole of last season pretty much out injured and a young prospect who still needs to put the ball in the net in a senior competitive match...........

.............or a player who has scored consistently at all levels in the time he has been with us?

Think I know where my money is going but if there is a prize for the most arrogantly stupidly unwarrantedly optimistic statement........................

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Obviously Gus hasn't agreed up till now or else the lad would have been starting. I do note Gus said yesterday that we are starting to mould Toby into the player we want and maybe then he will become a regular, but I still think its as unlikely not to happen as it is to happen at this point in time.

I'm happy to be wrong on this one I just think eventually when a youngster doesn't make the step up to regular 1st team footy becomes the time to say fairwell.

He's only 20. I think it's a good sign that we don't have to attach our hopes to teenage prospects anymore. I'm not saying he will make the grade (I've never seen him play) but give him a chance.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
From what we've seen of him, especially last season and now. He loves having the ball at his feet and taking on his man, always nice option to have on the Bench this season. Anyone remember Palarse away last season, when he came on and gave that lot a real fright?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here