Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toby Agdestein

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
A player who spent the whole of last season pretty much out injured and a young prospect who still needs to put the ball in the net in a senior competitive match...........

.............or a player who has scored consistently at all levels in the time he has been with us?

Think I know where my money is going but if there is a prize for the most arrogantly stupidly unwarrantedly optimistic statement........................

Oh I see, no opinion but yours then...... we'll see...... but given the sheer number of chances he has had and the % he has hit into row z, factor in also the pens.... I still back Toby and Will above him given the the same game time.

He's only 20. I think it's a good sign that we don't have to attach our hopes to teenage prospects anymore. I'm not saying he will make the grade (I've never seen him play) but give him a chance.

I am giving him a chance. I said staight off that I have nothing against the lad. Many memebers of the development squad will never make first teamers. Just like many at other clubs don't (lets take Paul Pogba ad Man U as an example) it doesn't make them bad players, but it probably means they don't improve on what is available for the first team.

IMHO Toby's chances will be directly related to our signing (or not) of a striker. If we sign one and gthe others stay I'm afraid it's Toby that come match day may not make the bench. This happens for long enough and we wave goodbye.

I don't wanna come off sounding like I'm hounding the lad...I would love it if he turns good. I'm a fan after all...who wouldn't? My point being having seen every minute he's played in the senior squad I'm yet to be convinced he improves the team to make the step up.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Oh I see, no opinion but yours then...... we'll see...... but given the sheer number of chances he has had and the % he has hit into row z, factor in also the pens.... I still back Toby and Will above him given the the same game time.

Sorry.....should've realised I wasn't allowed to put an opposing view :metaphorical slapped wrist: :lol:

Hosky is a natural goalscorer - so is Barnes but for all the reasons we know about Hoskins lost, effectively, a whole season.
Toby is not a proven goalscorer at any level. He has potential for certain but the fact remains he has yet to score a senior goal.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Sorry.....should've realised I wasn't allowed to put an opposing view :metaphorical slapped wrist: :lol:

Hosky is a natural goalscorer - so is Barnes but for all the reasons we know about Hoskins lost, effectively, a whole season.
Toby is not a proven goalscorer at any level. He has potential for certain but the fact remains he has yet to score a senior goal.

Harsh.......but true!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yep, though I read 'Toby is staying at Brighton' as 'I don't intend to release him', rather than 'I'm sending him out on loan...'

:shrug:

Fair enough, but combined with the rest of Gus' fine words, I'm sticking with my interpretation...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As close to word-for-word as I could manage after listening to the interview again.

"Toby's been with us, and right now he's looking like that striker we've been trying to get. He's gonna stay with us, he's practically a first-team player."

I interpret that as 'he's not going anywhere (even on loan) and will be getting plenty of first-team action in the near future'.

This!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Clearly Gus was saying he is going to be staying with the 1st team. No question.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Of course you are, just didn't appreciate the attack in your last sentence, unnecessary sir.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Clearly Gus was saying he is going to be staying with the 1st team. No question.
indeed and if Gus didn't think he was good enough there would have been a deafening silence. The lad has potential and it looks like Gus will give him the opportunity to begin to prove himself this season. From the little I have seen I would say he has the personality to deal with pressure

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't wanna come off sounding like I'm hounding the lad...I would love it if he turns good. I'm a fan after all...who wouldn't? My point being having seen every minute he's played in the senior squad I'm yet to be convinced he improves the team to make the step up.

I rekon you're watching a different player to the rest of us. Most exciting player on the pitch when he's come on in a couple of games

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He has been great as an impact sub, usually when we don't have much to lose, so the pressure is off, and he looks decent.

However, having seen him start DS games, and the reports back from Bath City, were not great. More than happy to be proven wrong though, but I see him more of a last 15-20 mins chasing a game player, than playing 90mins.

I rekon you're watching a different player to the rest of us. Most exciting player on the pitch when he's come on in a couple of games

Must be...the whole team were pants in the wrexham games, outclassed at forest where we were lucky to get a point (despite the fact lynch left his equalizer agonisingly late). He didnt shine up at selhurst and i have to admit i dont recall him vs. Millwall in our 2-2 draw which i can only assume means you must be talking about the 3 yard pass for his assist along the edge of the box at pboro was up there with Vicente solo run against Derby last year for most exciting moment of the season.

:albion2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
which i can only assume means you must be talking about the 3 yard pass for his assist along the edge of the box at pboro .

Argue your side, but don't make up nonsense, just to make the boy look bad. Go and find the assist on youtube or player. It was an excellent, skillful run and pass, that earned us 2 extra points.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

It feels like I'm stating the blindingly obvious but you need to actually play a few senior games before you can score a senior goal, and he's barely played in any - in a team that didn't exactly score a hatful last season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
It feels like I'm stating the blindingly obvious but you need to actually play a few senior games before you can score a senior goal, and he's barely played in any - in a team that didn't exactly score a hatful last season.

Indeed - so a bit early to eulogise that he is the next big thing don't you think? We have done enough damage to youngsters in the past by talking them up and heightening expectations only for them to fail or to find their natural level as being below ours. Toby is in good hands with Gus and won't be pushed too far too fast. Our talking about him as the solution to our goalscoring problems up front won't help him ???

Last edited:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Indeed - so a bit early to eulogise that he is the next big thing don't you think? We have done enough damage to youngsters in the past by talking them up and heightening expectations only for them to fail or to find their natural level as being below ours. Toby is in good hands with Gus and won't be pushed too far too fast. Our talking about him as the solution to our goalscoring problems up front won't help him ???
I don't disagree, but the point that he hasn't yet scored a senior goal is an irrelevance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here