Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toby Agdestein

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm very much enjoying the positivity of this thread. I have high hopes for all four of strikers this season and feel that if we were to make any further additions to the squad then it is bolstering the middle of the park that is the priority.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Every time the defense got the ball on Saturday, Gus was shouting at them to give it to Toby down line & after the comments he made about last night, Gus obviously feels he has a big part to play this year & I would be very surprised if he went out on Loan

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
His run onto Dickers(?) through ball was perfectly timed. He's making good progress, I think. The 7 man bench, will help us (and him) no end.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We have a ridiculous amount of strength and depth for the attacking positions:
CMS, Barnes, Hoskins, Agdestein to occupy 1 or 2 places up front, although Toby can play on the wing.
Buckley, Noone, Lualua, Vicente on the wing, or Vicente in a central attacking role.

I don't think we need to sign a new striker, but we could do with some cover for Bridcutt and/or someone to play alongside him in a 4-2-3-1, someone to have the same role as Navarro last season.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
CMS, Barnes, Hoskins, Agdestein to occupy 1 or 2 places up front, although Toby can play on the wing.
Buckley, Noone, Lualua, Vicente on the wing, or Vicente in a central attacking role.

I don't think we need to sign a new striker, but we could do with some cover for Bridcutt and/or someone to play alongside him in a 4-2-3-1, someone to have the same role as Navarro last season.

I agree. I think we'll get a more physical midfielder in but I think the big striker will come from a loan later in the season if the need arises.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Luke Williams is obviously doing a good job, I thought Sampayo and Rodgers looked good last night (particularly Rodgers).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why then, was our goalscoring record so unremarkable last season? (52 goals scored in 46 games) All those players were with us last season yet only Ashley Barnes looked like scoring regularly. I hope they can all improve, but in any case I'm not convinced we have "ridiculous amount of strength" in our strikers.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Why then, was our goalscoring record so unremarkable last season? (52 goals scored in 46 games) All those players were with us last season yet only Ashley Barnes looked like scoring regularly. I hope they can all improve, but in any case I'm not convinced we have "ridiculous amount of strength" in our strikers.

You can choose to omit the words 'strength and' if you like :thumbsup:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I think we suffered from a lack of creativity at times, especially with playing two holding midfielders for much of the season. A full season of Vicente will help, but having a player who offers more going forward than Navarro did last year (not a criticism of him, it's just not his game) will be important. Rather than pointing the finger at the strikers/wingers, I think the issue was that we didn't create enough chances for them.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Adgestein has developed for a year and Hoskins has recovered from a hernia, we didn't have either of those players really in the first team picture last year.

Although I agree we need another striker.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can choose to omit the words 'strength and' if you like :thumbsup:
To be fair to your good self, not many would disagree that CMS underperformed last season and there were issues surrounding Hoskins which is why he didn't play. With Toby another year older and more experienced, I think we'd all hope that at least one of those three were able to step up their game a bit. We really don't want another situation where Gus is forced to bring in a shithouse loan striker like Billy Paynter because his current crop aren't doing the business.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I think Adgestein has looked good for a while. I recall he changed the game when he came on in the cup away at Wrexham. He seems to be used wide rather than up top though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Adgestein has looked good for a while. I recall he changed the game when he came on in the cup away at Wrexham. He seems to be used wide rather than up top though.
Barnes came on with him, and together they changed the game. Barnes scored the equaliser a few mins after coming on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here