Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

time to remind dick knight we got rid of one chairman.could be his turn next

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
another well thought out argument well done,no wonder they burn you every year at lewes.
pity you didn't actually read and understand my comments

With all due respect, it's not easy to understand your comments when you don't use punctuaion and capital letters.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
With all due respect, it's not easy to understand your comments when you don't use punctuaion and capital letters.

I suggest you delete the words "with all due respect" in your next response to Mr Briggs. Or, better still, don't respond at all as it's not worth the effort.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think you'll find he was aiming that statement at me as he'd quoted me - but for the record I'm NOT a gooner !!!!

I think that he was referring to DK as being an Arsenal fan as prior to becoming part of the consortium nobody at Brighton had ever heard of him and he certainly wasnt a STH, according to Ron Pavey who was secretary at the time. That is not to say that Ron Pavey or even the current secretary where evrything is on computer would know the name of every supoporter.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I suggest you delete the words "with all due respect" in your next response to Mr Briggs. Or, better still, don't respond at all as it's not worth the effort.

Good point, well made. :thumbsup:

if anyone thinks that knight has invested in the albion to chuck money away then they truely are deluded,knight expects to profit when he sells his interest.
Do you have any evidence to support this?

All the signs are that NO-ONE can expect an "investment" in a lower league football club to deliver a profit.

One of the very few examples that might contradict this is Archer - who plainly did expect to make a profit.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
so you are happy with the way the club is run and the performances of the team?

I am extremely grateful that people like Dick Knight and Martin Perry have slogged their guts out for well over a decade, rescuing the club from the verge of oblivion and piloting an immensely complex, politically challenging planning application to success.

During that time I am also immensely grateful that the club has invested heavily in the youth team, developing a raft of players who have represented this club and others with skill and dedication.

I am thankful that we have had a chairman who has managed to attract some high class managers (Coppell, Taylor, Adams, McGhee) despite our impoverished state.

I am grateful that we have a chairman who has proved time and again that he is an expert negotiator, and who has managed to secure fantastic fees for players like Harding, Virgo, CKR, Zamora, etc, etc, to keep this club afloat.

I am proud to support a club whose board espouses old-fashioned values (eg: voting against the recent "fudge" regarding foreign players, treating players with respect, turning down money from the Football League that was tainted with Archers' hand).

I am very happy that we have a club which attracted huge support from fans of other teams - mainly because they had an affinity with what the club and its owners were about.

I am, above all, glad that we have a chairman and senior board members who are genuine fans.

In all businesses there are ups and downs. We have had some great "ups" over the past decade, and inevitably there will be some downs. That's life.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
so you are happy with the way the club is run and the performances of the team?

So how do you see the club being run?

I see a board that is trying to keep the club in business whilst at the same time trying to provide a competitive team on the pitch, a board that has invested their own money to bring in players whether perminent or on loan, despite the club making substanial losses every season we have been at Withdean.

A board that delivered on the pitch success beyond our limited means with titles and promotions, and when we inevitably got relegated from the championship, they still tried to find money to push for promotion back to that division.

There is absolutely no way that anyone who was in charge of the club could have forseen the problems that the club faced when trying to gain planning permission, that it would take several planning enquiries, or that once permission was given, that there would be a mistake by Prescott meaning we had to go through the whole thing again.

So how could anyone plan for that, or for the extra losses we have incurred during the delays, and with no mystery investors waiting in the background, the board have to be sensible and try to invest in the team, to maximise income (bringing back Adams as the fans had wanted during the previous season, hoping crowd numbers would increase) and fund a new stadium at the same time.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
so we get a debate going in this thread with both sides presenting clear logical issues,perhaps we can even get D.K.to engage the fan base and confront issues driving the withdean attendance down.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think that he was referring to DK as being an Arsenal fan as prior to becoming part of the consortium nobody at Brighton had ever heard of him and he certainly wasnt a STH, according to Ron Pavey who was secretary at the time. That is not to say that Ron Pavey or even the current secretary where evrything is on computer would know the name of every supoporter.

Knight did claim to be a 'Chicken Run' season ticket holder, which Ron Pavey said was bollocks

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I stood on the 'chicken run' and dont remember there being season tickets for it but that is not to say that there wasn't but if there was I didnt know of it. It was always alleged that one director had the the North East Gate as his 'perks' like at Gillingham where I believe a director 'went down' for fraud over such a ploy.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I stood on the 'chicken run' and dont remember there being season tickets for it but that is not to say that there wasn't but if there was I didnt know of it. It was always alleged that one director had the the North East Gate as his 'perks' like at Gillingham where I believe a director 'went down' for fraud over such a ploy.

and it was alleged that a certain ex director who left,in his will, the land used for parking his company hearses in the south west corner for ""the benefit of supporters" did not expect a commercial car outlet

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
and it was alleged that a certain ex director who left,in his will, the land used for parking his company hearses in the south west corner for ""the benefit of supporters" did not expect a commercial car outlet

I never knew that people could post on the internet using CRAYON.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here