Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three minutes silence

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
dave the gaffer said:

Wether you agree with it or not, it is up to you, but lets stop all this "..its all bollocks.." stuff.

the point about it is there are roughly 150k people dead, whole generations of people and their livelyhoods taken away and there are countless orphans left.

Instead of thinking about yourself and playing the right and left wing card scoring points against each other, think of the children without mothers or fathers caused by this. That is what it is all about

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
No it doesn't really matter.

I just fail to see how being silent for three minutes is going to benefit the victims. And its about those poor people. If people need an organsied silence to show respect then it's a sad indicment on society.

Richie Morris said:
Sorry Im missing something here. Nobody is saying you HAVE to stay silent are they? No.

Try not observing it and see what happens. I refused to observe a silence for diana when she died and did I get shit from those who thought I should be 'respectful'

It is Europe paying its respects.

No it's not. It's a fake emotion into which we are all supposed to buy and should we chose not to then we are being 'disrespectul'.

Stop moaning for the sake of moaning and just show a little respect for the dead of the tsunami.

I already have in my own way and I strongly object to being told that this 'way' is better. If you want to do it but stop trying to impose it on others.

Last edited:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
if this was christmas i would day "bah humbug" to the lot of you.

Personally I will be observing as will the people I work with the three minutes silence.

Wether you agree with it or not, it is up to you, but lets stop all this "..its all bollocks.." stuff.

the point about it is there are roughly 150k people dead, whole generations of people and their livelyhoods taken away and there are countless orphans left.

Instead of thinking about yourself and playing the right and left wing card scoring points against each other, think of the children without mothers or fathers caused by this. That is what it is all about

Absolutely. But how is the silence helping those children? It's not. And I think that is the point most people have tried to make in this thread.

I've got mixed feelings on this one. The Armistice silence is based around the phrase "Lest we forget". To remember not only the people who died and suffered initially in WWI but also to remember the stupidity that took us to war in the first place, and crucially to ensure it never happened again (a forlorn hope, as it turned out!). War is avoidable. The tsunami was not.
And why 3 minutes for this silence?
There does seem to be a trend to more and more silences. In some way this is good, people are more aware of other people's sufferings, but in some ways the more you have the more they become devalued.
As I say, mixed feelings.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
readingstockport said:

I already have in my own way and I strongly object to being told that this 'way' is better. If you want to do it but stop trying to impose it on others.

I dont think anyone has suggested this is the best way to show your respects.

The best way would be to get all your old clothes and take them to Oxfam to be sent to the area and also to give as much money as you can afford.

Ive done that already as have most people on here I am sure.

BUT

A silence does not harm. Its not an alternative to giving money etc, its just something to show the victims are in the thoughts of people around the world.

Cadiz Seagull said:
I've got mixed feelings on this one. The Armistice silence is based around the phrase "Lest we forget". To remember not only the people who died and suffered initially in WWI but also to remember the stupidity that took us to war in the first place, and crucially to ensure it never happened again (a forlorn hope, as it turned out!). War is avoidable. The tsunami was not.
And why 3 minutes for this silence?
There does seem to be a trend to more and more silences. In some way this is good, people are more aware of other people's sufferings, but in some ways the more you have the more they become devalued.
As I say, mixed feelings.

Well put. This sums up my thinking almost exactly.

But they have been in my thoughts almost constantly since I first heard on boxing day, having a 3 minutes silence will not make them any more.

I repeat others questions, why is this disaster more deserving of a 3 minutes silence when the dead in 2 world wars and conflicts since are seemingly worth less?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
if you feel that strongly about it then 3 minutes spent sitting on our fat arses doing nothing is the time it might take to save a life, feed a child or earn a pound, which would do both!

we all do things in our own way, and lets continue to do so, I don't believe theres anyone here who's not shockeded by whats happened . . .

Is it me . . .or is it that becasue its such a popular holiday destination that western europe takes bigger note, if it was south america, no one would give a shit ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not really worth arguing about.

I'll shrug and stay silent for 3 minutes, but its completely meaningless for me. I have already given thought and contemplation to those poor souls, and will continue to do so. I don't need this 3 minutes to "remind me to think of them".

To me personally, its an empty, pointless, meaningless gesture that is being enforced by "those in power" for whatever glib reason they give us all. OK, I'll play the game. But its nonsense.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm with Cadiz Seagull. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this three minutes silence is a bit ott and a bit of an empty gesture. I shan't be observing it - indeed I think this post will be made during it.

Off now to put some more money in the collecting pot at Somerfield

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Correct me if i`m wrong in saying the disaster is far from over what with 100`s if not thousands still buried and the disease to take it`s toll. Therefore the silence should have been at a later date when the true result of this is known.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
zefarelly said:
I don't believe theres anyone here who's not shockeded by whats happened . . .

I wasn't shocked by it, ive been thinking about it in a clinical manner but thats me. Maybe Ive spent to long on dodgy sites watching people being killed in real life or maybe I'm just psycotic, I dont know.

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
dave the gaffer said:
if this was christmas i would day "bah humbug" to the lot of you.

Personally I will be observing as will the people I work with the three minutes silence.

I may be very wrong here, but didn't you start a thread questioning Rememberance Sunday?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Croydonbloke said:
Correct me if i`m wrong in saying the disaster is far from over what with 100`s if not thousands still buried and the disease to take it`s toll. Therefore the silence should have been at a later date when the true result of this is known.
Naah, we'll just have another one at the end of the month. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here