Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three minutes silence

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Easy 10 said:
You're right, staying silent ISN'T that big a deal at all.

Which is why this "gesture" is completely and utterly pointless. It serves no purpose.

You miserable bastard.

I know we won't bother on remembrance sunday either as it's so pointless.

It's to stop and think about how f***ing lucky the likes of us are to still be here.

FFS it don't hurt anyone to show some respect occasionally does it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's all well and good observing a silence but be honest, it won't bring them back and frankly, this time next year most people will have forgotten it. Sad but true.

I can also say that while I stood in silence at Midday nobody else in Western Road did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
gerbil said:
You miserable bastard.

I know we won't bother on remembrance sunday either as it's so pointless.

It's to stop and think about how f***ing lucky the likes of us are to still be here.

FFS it don't hurt anyone to show some respect occasionally does it?
Occasionally, no. Not at all.
But I've lost count of the number of minutes silences, 2 minutes silences and now 3 minutes silences I have been obliged to take part in during the last 18 months or so for one thing or another. Quite honestly, its getting to the point where barely a month goes by when I'm not supposed to be standing silent for something or other - and its starting to dilute the whole meaning.

There comes a point when you start to think "hang on - I'm quite capable of expressing this in my own personal way, instead of when someone is telling me I should be".

If thats wrong in some peoples eyes, then f*** it. I can live with that. My concience is clear.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
More is less! How long before we have an hour's silence?

Lush

Mods' Pet
To be honest what do you REALLY think about during the minutes silence at the footy? If I'm TOTALLY honest my train of thought usually goes something like this....

"PEEEEP!!!! Ok - whistle blown - what are the players doing? - Positioned round the centre-circle? - oh no manly arms round shoulders standing in a line - hee hee Leon should never have stood next to McCammon - WTF are the away team doing - having a chat? - OK must concentrate here - head bowed, hands clasped - that's the way - don't look to people on left or right - ok a quick look - oh no they've opened one eye and seen me!!! - maybe a bit of thoughtful gazing into middle distance will be good.....OMIGOD I FORGOT TO TURN MY MOBILE PHONE OFF! - AND IT'S SET ON THE THEME FROM BENNY HILL! - please don't anyone phone me, please don't anyone phone me - and now my stomach is about to rumble - OK concentrate.....NOW what is this for again - oh yeah - must be terrible for the families and.....PEEP!!!!!!!!!"

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lush said:

"PEEEEP!!!! Ok - whistle blown - what are the players doing? - Positioned round the centre-circle? - oh no manly arms round shoulders standing in a line - hee hee Leon should never have stood next to McCammon - WTF are the away team doing - having a chat? - OK must concentrate here - head bowed, hands clasped - that's the way - don't look to people on left or right - ok a quick look - oh no they've opened one eye and seen me!!! - maybe a bit of thoughtful gazing into middle distance will be good.....OMIGOD I FORGOT TO TURN MY MOBILE PHONE OFF! - AND IT'S SET ON THE THEME FROM BENNY HILL! - please don't anyone phone me, please don't anyone phone me - and now my stomach is about to rumble - OK concentrate.....NOW what is this for again - oh yeah - must be terrible for the families and.....PEEP!!!!!!!!!"

Surely the most honest post ever on NSC?

Exactly what I normally think about as well Lush.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great post Lush.:clap2:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Lush said:

Heh. That has just reminded me of the minutes silence at Coventry City on Monday. Stadium announcer announces there will be a minutes silence, this was at 5 to three. Hundreds of Leeds fans still under the stand singing away to themselves and missed the announcement. Teams come out. Hundreds of Leeds fans under the stand still, ref blows for one minute silence, whole ground falls silent. Cue the Leeds fans under the stand breaking out with "Lets go fcuking mental, na na naaaaa Leeds". Lasted the whole minutes silence and some after. Lots of sniggering from Leeds fans and Coventry fans alike. And am certain not one Leeds fan thoughts were with the tsunami vitcims.

Not very respectful really, we ditched the black armbands as well - send us straight to hell. But it amused us none the less.

Last edited:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was in a very different position to most here today. I for one did not realise, that there was a three minuite silence today, untill FiveLive mentioned it at 0530 hrs, with the obligitory alarm call.

I then get to work, and a couple of colleauges have said they would like to complete the silence. Fine. Why not. I have no problem with the idea at all. I was in charge of the shift, and most members of the team wished to partake. It then transpired that the hospital was going to stop for those three minuites, unless a life was in danger.

What really alarmed me today, and like many fellow posters, I was ambivilent to the silence, was that many of the patients i care for had little idea of the disaster.

Just imagine that. Any one of us here are now elderly, with failing sight and hearing, and cannot quite read the paper or hear the radio, or watch the television. And god forbid if both the television is on and your neighbour in the bed less than five foot away form you has inadvertantly put on Kiss FM on the radio, with your failing hearing and eyesight. It does not bear thinking about.

So a lot of the morning was spent whilst caring for my patients describing what had happend over the festive period. This meant finding papers from other patients, and staff, but most importantly just communicating with people, and spending time with them.

What was even more surprising was the patients who have regular visitors knew very little of what had, and is still happening. I now wonder what the realatives and visitors chat about with their loved ones. It has never struck me before this much, but I do have to give an account of what has gone on at the club on a daily basis from either snippets from here, or The Argus.

Essentally today opened my eyes to what sometimes goes on in an elderly patients world. I thought I knew, but the picture is now digitally clear.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Everytime there's a minutes silence at football the same thing happens to me. I start thinking about how awful it would be if I started speaking or shouting and then I hear myself doing it in my head and after a while it feels like I really am screaming out loud and I see all the people around me, especially my brother and Dad looking at me with disgust and horror and then the whistle blows at the end and I can hear swearing in my head and then I'm standing there shaking and waiting for the punch in the face to hit me.

Please, no more for a while, my nerves are shredded.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here