Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three minutes silence

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Richie Morris said:
What harm does observing the silence do? ......and people on here are moaning about having to be quiet for three minutes.

People who appreciate the value of freedom and hate to see it eroded, obviosly you dont care to much about freedom or you think its negotiable but others take a stronger veiw. Especially as this hopeless governments bringing in ID cards as it bans everything it doesn't like the look off.

time to turf labour out I think.

also these silences are for OUR "benefit", never the victims, they are a socio-political tools used by Governments for a wide range of reasons. Few of them when examined are that wholesome.

They sometimes mask a nationalist agenda as well so not suprised its an EU dictat.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Richie Morris said:
I think the people who will observe the silence probably already have donated.

I know what people are saying but its not that big a deal really staying silent is it?

I know various people who are missing friends or have lost people they know. It wont bring them back but the silence is a way for the country to visibly show they are thinking of them.

And the many milliosn of pounds of aid already donated doesn't show that people are thinking of the victims?

I have been at three football matches since it happened and done a minutes silence at each. Pointless. (Was actually relieved to see that the black armbands had been dropped on Monday) Its a nice mark of respect but do you really think the homeless people of Asia care that 40,000 people in a football ground stood in silence for a minute. Not much. They'd care more if we gave a quid on the way in and they had £40k for medicine.

My sisters brother in law lost his life in Phuket, his brother was here not long ago and sneered at the three minute silence. Like someone ^ said, it would be a hundred times more constructive to have people give up three minutes worth of wages.

Staying silent is no big deal, it's been about 40 minutes since I last spoke to someone, but what is it going to do for the people in Asia. Nothing. Plain and simple. Nada, nothing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Richie Morris said:
What harm does observing the silence do?

its the length, 3 minutes devalues our normal "minutes silence".

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry Im missing something here. Nobody is saying you HAVE to stay silent are they? No.

200,000 people have died. There is going to be a three minute silence.

It is not eroding your freedom.

It is not a government conspiracy.

It is Europe paying its respects.

Not everyone goes to football games and not everyone has had the chance to observe the silence yet.

Stop moaning for the sake of moaning and just show a little respect for the dead of the tsunami. Im sure you all have anyway but its three little minutes of your life that you probably wouldnt have said a lot in anyway if you are at work or home alone.

I agree with the sentiments expressed above that the people affected by this tragedy don't need us lot keeping quiet for 3 minutes but need money for vital aid and quickly.

I also think that 3 minutes silence is wrong. It's getting to the point where these enforced periods of hand wringing are competing with each other, with each one deeming itself more important than the other. It will get to the point where we'll be asked to observe 3 hours silence soon. These silences are just there to cleanse the collective consciences of people, which is an insult to the many that have suffered as a result of this natural disaster.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Richie Morris said:
I know what people are saying but its not that big a deal really staying silent is it?
You're right, staying silent ISN'T that big a deal at all.

Which is why this "gesture" is completely and utterly pointless. It serves no purpose. Speaking personally, I have thought about this tragedy a great deal. Anyone who has seen the images on the news can't fail to have been touched by them, or to have contemplated and attempted to comprehend the horror that has befallen so many people.

Nobody actually NEEDS another minutes, sorry 2 minutes, sorry 3 minutes (as they're all the rage now) silence. Its a vacuous gesture.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nobody is stopping people donating three minutes wages if they want to.

You could equally use the argument about the silence doing no good for the victims by saying why did £2m people march in an anti war march when that wouldnt have even been seen by Iraqi citizens because they dont show western tv or news.

Perhaps that was a bit of self congratulatory politcal masturbation on the part of the marchers????

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
There was a minutes silence at the Derby v Cardiff game on New Years day.

There was another minutes silence at the Cardiff v Forest game on Monday.

For Saturday's cup game against Blackburn, all Cardiff fans are being asked by the club and its supporters clubs to bring an extra pound with them to the game and to put those pounds into buckets which will be placed next to each turnstile. There will also be additional collection points in the club shop and all of the bars and refreshment stands around the ground.

Which of those three gestures do you think will be most beneficial to the victims of this dreadful disaster?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
What we are talking about is respect isn't it, granted that people standing still in silence does nothing to raise funds to help those affected, it does show however that they have not been forgotten.

A couple of years ago my Gran died, I went over to Ireland for the funeral. The service was held in a church some miles from where she was to be buried, what surprised me was that when we were travelling between the two the number of people who stood still and crossed themselves as the cortege passed by. I assume that they did this as a matter of respect to someone who it is very unlikely that they ever knew, my Gran wasn't even a Roman Catholic. By people observing the silence today they are paying respects, in the same way, to people who they never knew (though it is clear that some who post on NSC do have connections to someone who lost their life), what is wrong with that?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I'd like to suggest we have a minute's silence, to mourn the passing of the traditional "two minutes' silence" which used to be good enough to remember everyone who's ever died serving their country.

Who's gonna join in?

hutchings (48)

Dec 2, 2004
The Wild West
Richie Morris said:

You could equally use the argument about the silence doing no good for the victims by saying why did £2m people march in an anti war march when that wouldnt have even been seen by Iraqi citizens because they dont show western tv or news.

Perhaps that was a bit of self congratulatory politcal masturbation on the part of the marchers????

The point of the March wasn't to show solidarity with the people of Iraq, it was to tell Tony Blair that there was no justification for the war, and that they didn't want to go to war in their name. A the end of the day it probably was a waste of time, but people had something they needed to say and they said it in the way they wanted it to, not the way someone told them to.

We are talking about two entirely different things here; protesting and grieving/paying respects etc.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if this was christmas i would day "bah humbug" to the lot of you.

Personally I will be observing as will the people I work with the three minutes silence.

Wether you agree with it or not, it is up to you, but lets stop all this "..its all bollocks.." stuff.

the point about it is there are roughly 150k people dead, whole generations of people and their livelyhoods taken away and there are countless orphans left.

Instead of thinking about yourself and playing the right and left wing card scoring points against each other, think of the children without mothers or fathers caused by this. That is what it is all about

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
hutchings (48) said:
At the end of the day it probably was a waste of time, but people had something they needed to say and they said it in the way they wanted it to, not the way someone told them to.

Yes and whilst the silence wont help any victims, people want to pay their respects and it just so happens the traditional way is by observing a silence.

I cannot believe people are being so pedantic over a three minutes silence for 200,000 dead.

Does it really matter?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Sorry Im missing something here. Nobody is saying you HAVE to stay silent are they?

No but you are expected to especially if in a company or social situation.

It is not eroding your freedom.

Yes it is, its an attack on choice.

It is not a government conspiracy.

ITs not a conspiracy its an open EU agenda

It is Europe paying its respects.

It is eurocrats trying to develope a European consiousness using the victims as tools, I do not take orders from brussels

Stop moaning for the sake of moaning and just show a little respect for the dead of the tsunami.

Show your respect and recognition to the EU superstate!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here