Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those Two lads shot dead in Florida......

THIS IS REALLY STOOPID!

Almost all of you are in agreement that there should NOT have been comparisons made between CIVILIAN CRIME DEATHS and SERVICE ATTRITION - yet this thread is almost exclusively an argument about that very comparison!!

Okay, here's another argument - people die in ghettos every day through crimes, some are casualties of their own dodgy deals and some are innocent/babies/children/bystanders. Do you want to debate whether it MATTERS if they are NOT BRITISH? Why isn't it reported or important enough, because they are not 'ours'??
Bollocks to it, I actually don't care what anyone thinks about that question or if they have an answer - just QUIT debating a comparison if you don't think it makes any good point in the first place!

ffs.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
On a visit to New York me and the Missus decided to walk from Times Square back to our Hotel near to Little Italy.
We got a bit lost,but got back eventually.
When we told the hotel staff the next day,they said that we had walked through one of the most dangerous areas of the City.
As we were white they reckoned we were left alone because they thought we were a police set up or serious gangsters looking for a war,and we would be heavily armed.
It was a real "Phew" moment.
To be honest it could have happened in almost any big City in the World these days.
Sad,but true.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Slightly different circumstances there. As awful as it is either way, soldiers know what they are getting themselves into and know that its "part of the job" so to speak. People on holiday are not expecting to be shot!

Exactly and soldiers are trained in the job they do. There are some places in America I really didn't feel safe, parts of Boston and Philadelphia, but you are usually told not to venture too far in some directions. It is tragic for them and their families.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sorry to read of the two lads being killed by a teenage gunman in Florida but cannot help but feel there was some form of misadventure here. I guess the details will emerge as the investigation progresses.

BBC news website tonight features another story further illustrating the gun culture in the US: A gun taken into a Texas school today by a 6 year old fell out of the child's rucksack and went off, injuring 3 children.

I know that in the good ol' US of A they have the constitutional right to bear arms - but this makes me wonder in what circumstances this 6 year old child had access to a loaded gun?

I acknowledge that sadly we have a gun problem in the UK particularly among gang culture - but not sure they are quite as young!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
They do seem to have gone an awful long way out of their way to put themselves in that kind of danger ???

Not really, especially if they were tricked into a car and then driven there... Have you never woken up somewhere you weren't expecting after a heavy night out?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
On a visit to New York me and the Missus decided to walk from Times Square back to our Hotel near to Little Italy.
We got a bit lost,but got back eventually.
When we told the hotel staff the next day,they said that we had walked through one of the most dangerous areas of the City.
As we were white they reckoned we were left alone because they thought we were a police set up or serious gangsters looking for a war,and we would be heavily armed.
It was a real "Phew" moment.
To be honest it could have happened in almost any big City in the World these days.
Sad,but true.

see your point but new york is a bit different from Sarasota!..that couldnt happen out there,that area would be a long lonely walk from where they would have been out in the bars etc! Sarasota's probably smaller than Brighton

Not really, especially if they were tricked into a car and then driven there... Have you never woken up somewhere you weren't expecting after a heavy night out?

They may not have started out for the heart of that particular neighbourhood eh? Maybe they'd found themselves on the other side of town and decided to walk - and it just took them through that bad area. Brits don't relate to ghettos in quite the same way as yanks would - though an accidental stroll across Moulsecombe might attract attention among urchins.
They can't have suspected they'd be in grave danger.The local cops might though - which would be why they are so questioning about what they could be doing there at all.

A couple of miles from their last bar...Smokin' Joes. What are you trying to imply here?

Couldn't find a cab and decided to walk, maybe?
Not much is sinister about that possibility, for a couple of lads who think roaming S.America and they've seen it all. US ghettos and ganglands are something else. They have no-walk zones for strangers, and no whitey areas fo' sho'. They'll kill their own, so there'd be no respect for a couple of English homeboys in adidas t's and tennie's.

As was said - they should not have been in that area, only a naive tourist or a rookie narcotics cop could make such a mistake. Just their existence would seem an affront to their killer, let alone walking through his neighbourhood!

US ghettos and ganglands are something else. They have no-walk zones for strangers, and no whitey areas fo' sho'. They'll kill their own, so there'd be no respect for a couple of English homeboys in adidas t's and tennie's.

As was said - they should not have been in that area, only a naive tourist or a rookie narcotics cop could make such a mistake. Just their existence would seem an affront to their killer, let alone walking through his neighbourhood!

I think someone has been overdosing on 'The Wire'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here