Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is really quite sad...

I was walking around town earlier, and as I went along the side of the park in the town centre, saw a lad aged maybe eighteen, nineteen, walking towards me, earphones in, listening to music.

As I passed him, he took his earphones out, turned around and said "Excuse me...I know this probably sounds really desperate, but I wondered where you work, and if you knew of any jobs going?".
I do hope he finds something soon. And anyone on here in the same position :thumbsup:

He then went to the Jobcentre and told his agent there "I have made 9 enquiries this week, and just got told to look elsewhere".
And picked up another giro.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I have a resonably new job working as a carer in a residential special school and I have come across several people who have got jobs there as they couldn't find anything in their normal line of work, and although the money is not good it's ok, however most of them now say they love it and intend to continue. So I guess for some people it forces a carer change which is good in the end.
Feel sorry for anyone looking for a job at the moment though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
in this case graduates are told the package and that there is no room for negotiation - its a definitive offer and standard across our company.

These 5 numpties decided to try and ignore that clear direction and suggested that the base salary should be hiked. At that point we ended the conversation.

It seems to be accepted that these five were being naive. Is that really the case?

DT is offering jobs that pay considerably more than the average graduate salaries and has pointed out there was rigorous interview process to pick out the best, that suggests to me that these candidates were from being 'numpties' or 'naive'. Every graduate knows the reality of the economic situation and that graduate jobs are few and far between, the fact that these people felt able to turn down jobs on good money suggests to me that they'd done some research and that they could get jobs at a higher salary.

I don't really know the sector so I may be being unfair but the fact that all five have turned it down does suggest that DT's company is paying below the market rates.

If they are so desperate then why don't they provide training for the right applicants to get up to that standard.

Good point. There are far too many companies who have the attitude that candidates should come to them fully formed. If companies took a more long term view, there wouldn't be the shortage and wouldn't have to pay more and more money to attract people.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I completely know what you mean, and I can also see where the recruiter's are coming from.

From a recruiters point of view, they are looking for candidates that are going to be best suited for the roles and are going to make them commission. Someone like yourself, who would be more than capable of doing such a role will be overlooked over the person who is currently doing a similar role or is working their way towards it, just due to the fact that you'll have too much experience under your belt, which employers find "intimidating" or they feel that you might get very bored within the position as they know you can do it without really challenging yourself. It is a real bitch to be honest, and the whole job market overall is f***ed.

Agree entirely with you, one said to me recently "I don't think it's enough of a challenge" I tried to explain that it wasn't the challenge but merely the opportunity to work in an environment that I enjoyed and to have the ability to deliver and get a buzz out of that ... it went way over his head and I didn't hear anything more!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Horrendous conditions to find work. I struggled big time over the last couple of years.

Left a decent job in 2008 as it was not something I could see myself doing and my depressive state had been worsening. Scratched around for work for a fair while and ended up going self-employed as a builder. That wasn't going too well and eventually dried up. Luckily I managed to find some seasonal work with the council last year and have secured that job again which guarantees income for the next six months. The seasonal work (park attendant) had 189 applicants for 10 places, I believe.

I've always been at a disadvantage in competitive conditions as I am unable to use a telephone due to my non-existant hearing. In hindsight, perhaps it would have been wise not to mention that during the initial applications and contact. Still, the cochlear implant has given me a level of hearing I never expected, which is grrrreat.

During the last year, before the operation, I spent a huge amount of time filling in applications, searching online and so on. Very frustrating with pages and pages of sales jobs that don't really exist (£0 + commission etc) and nye on impossible to filter them out. Disheartening to get rejections left, right and centre for jobs one could do with their eyes shut.

Exceedingly pleased to have been accepted on to a PGCE course that starts in October. Certainly something to get my teeth stuck into.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its tough for the 50 year old brigade as pretty much every door is slammed in your face because of your age. Its tough for everyone but the youth have time on their side.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Its tough for the 50 year old brigade as pretty much every door is slammed in your face because of your age. Its tough for everyone but the youth have time on their side.

That is very true but it can be difficult for us youngsters too.

I am finishing my degree at the end of May and the prospects for finding jobs when you have very little experience is very difficult. I am on course to get a 2.1 but you read in the paper about people who just can't find a job anywhere even with a degree. It is certainly something I am not looking forward to when really one should feel excited about beginning their working life.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is very true but it can be difficult for us youngsters too.

I am finishing my degree at the end of May and the prospects for finding jobs when you have very little experience is very difficult. I am on course to get a 2.1 but you read in the paper about people who just can't find a job anywhere even with a degree. It is certainly something I am not looking forward to when really one should feel excited about beginning their working life.

Its pretty shit for everyone mate. Very soul destroying. Good luck.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
This is so depressing. I am 39 and very much in need of a job but despite my efforts, it is proving very hard to do. I have a Masters degree but still find it impossible to get interviews. Hard times.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
What does he want to do?

I don't think he has a clue - he's doing economics, IT, business studies and communication and culture - the idea was that he will go to Uni to do a business and marketing degree.

He is not bothered what he does for work at the moment just wants a few hours a week to fill his moped up and have a night out occasionally -

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been rejected for delivering pizza's and flowers. Worked on the tills at Tesco for 3 weeks. I earned £ 5 ph net. Applied for about 100 jobs , part time and full time, nearly all did not even reply. Its hard to think that you are now, as it were unemployable I can tell you it destroys your inner soul, so anyone in this position has my upmost sympathy and empathy.

Last edited:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I am planning to take my domestic installers course (sparky) later this year.... I need a change in career! But, all the time that I have my Psv licence I should never struggle to be in employment.. Luckily!

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

ooooohhh, i'm a sparky desperate for a change in career, fancy swapping??

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree with Edna. Its very sad this great country has a lost generation. The core of society and the economy is f***ed like it has never been before. The over 50's have a very bleak future if unemployed or looking for a job.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Minimum wage, government red tape and pention schemes need to be scrapped. Absolute bollox how you can't employ someone for an apprentacipe and train them while paying them £5 an hour - illegal, you have to pay them about £7 do hours of paper work and now give them a pention

I'm currently at college and am trying to find a part time job and there is nothing. The second something turns up there are so many applicants and it always goes to someone with past experience. The only people of my age group I know who have jobs know someone a little higher up in the business. At the moment it is definitely a case of 'who you know, not what you know'. In the long run I am looking to go to Uni, but can't really see the point if there is going to be no job at the end of it. If things don't change within the next year or so I will start getting very worried about my options.

Go for it - as long as it's a worthwhile degree. I took the mature student route because I was sick to death of my pissy job and being offered nothing else but the same when I looked....brave step when you've already got rent, car, hooker/crack addiction etc to account for so be prepared to make sacrifices but work hard and learn and I'm sure the jobs market will pick up. As Tom said, it's buying you time as well until things pick up.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I am earning less than half what I was 5 years ago, and found it very difficult getting back in the jobs market. I have now decided to re-train as an accountant, but that has meant going back to a graduate salary (which is not £30k).

As a 'mature student' I have A'level grades which are a bit different to the 5A* grades everyone seems to get now, and it seems that all my years managerial experience seem to count for very litle. As the OP said, once you've been out of work for a few months it's virtually impossible to get back in.

Oct 25, 2003
I agree with Edna. Its very sad this great country has a lost generation. The core of society and the economy is f***ed like it has never been before. The over 50's have a very bleak future if unemployed or looking for a job.

most of the jobs i've gone for have gone to someone in their 40's or 50's........it might work differently in other circles though

it's hard for youngsters (if i still count as one, i certainly am not mentally!) because we don't have much (or any) experience, but struggle to find work to get that experience

let me make one thing clear- i don't begrudge a 50 year old getting a job ahead of me...they'll certainly have higher living costs (if they have a family, mortgage etc.) whereas i live in a houseshare, don't have kids, car and am debt free.....but it IS frustrating to constantly be knocked back due to lack of experience

to get experience i've had to do a load of work for free. this is utterly soul destroying as you're doing something for nothing.....if i ever meet the person who first walked into a newspaper and said "hey guys, i'll work for free if you want" i'll kick them in the face

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here