Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is really quite sad...

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I was walking around town earlier, and as I went along the side of the park in the town centre, saw a lad aged maybe eighteen, nineteen, walking towards me, earphones in, listening to music.

As I passed him, he took his earphones out, turned around and said "Excuse me...I know this probably sounds really desperate, but I wondered where you work, and if you knew of any jobs going?".

Said he'd been looking for ages and couldn't get work anywhere. I explained what I did and said he'd be best off contacting the organisation etc etc. He said thanks, smiled and went on.

He seemed a perfectly decent, respectable lad, well spoken & dressed, didn't look like a dimwit, habitual criminal or whatever. Nothing that would make you think "there's a reason employers are turning you down, pal". Not sure quite what this has to do with NSC really, but I suppose I'm just deeply struck by the fact that a young lad is so desperate to find work in these times that he's stopping total strangers in the street and asking them. It's not like we even live in an area where unemployment is rife. Perhaps if I did, I wouldn't be so surprised at something like this happening.

How sad is that though? I don't mean what he was doing, as it does show a bit of initiative, not to mention balls, but at the fact that times are so tough he has to do it in the first place. Those of us with jobs perhaps don't always appreciate how lucky we are (or how much other people genuinely want to work).

I do hope he finds something soon. And anyone on here in the same position :thumbsup:

You're the one with eyes aren't you? That's why he stopped you :love:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
ah but think of what my people have recently had to go through. Many of them who take jobs here have or had nothing. Not to mention the fact the Nazis robbed the country, as did the Cossacks.

they are a bunch who understand what work and commitment is. I fear a lot of this 'cant get a job' lark is when people have ridiculous boundaries about what they are willing to do to get their money. Start somewhere, or not at all.
Never met a lazy polish worker yet and you can see why they're preffered to English workers,yes far to many here and that needs to be addressed,but real nice people.
The industrial industry is swamped by the poles,but I,ve noticed they're working their way into the office jobs at a rate of Knots,many moaned on here before because it affected them,but it will soon affect most of you office bumpkins:D

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I was just speaking about this today.

3-4 years ago I thought about changing my job.
I distinctly remember the Thursday Argus banner, being 'over 700 jobs in today's paper'.

After Cardiff I brought the Thursday Argus (assuming it's still the jobs day) it had just 27 jobs advertised.

that's the Tories for ya

Never met a lazy polish worker yet and you can see why they're preffered to English workers,yes far to many here and that needs to be addressed,but real nice people.
The industrial industry is swamped by the poles,but I,ve noticed they're working their way into the office jobs at a rate of Knots,many moaned on here before because it affected them,but it will soon affect most of you office bumpkins:D

The "industrial industry"?? Scuse moi? :lol:

I've worked alongside Poles working in construction, and they are NOT necessarily that good as tradesmen - they are just cheaper than some English, and they often come as a gang and get their mates in on the job at every opportunity. Since they are 'over there' from Poland, it's pretty-much assumed that they can't afford to screw around and take the piss, which is mostly true. They do mess up though, they are sloppy, and they cannot always understand what they are meant to be doing. Most of the time they are 'loosely' tradesmen, and don't have any qualifications or lie about their experience just to get hired - so they wing it, and usually don't aim for the highly-skilled side of construction.
They have to pass the safety test, and often have to give that a few goes - they claim often to not have understood, but the test is provided in Polish too so it's a poor excuse.
Not that the test is simple because it's not.

They live 5 or 6 to a flat, so they spend as little as possible - then take what they earned in a year or two back to Poland where they can start a business of their own or buy a place, which is why they come to the UK to work. Britain also makes it easier for them to just arrive and get going, whereas even fellow EU nations make it difficult for migrants to just do that.... by only paying direct into bank accounts, requiring proof of actual residency and intent to remain (and therefore donate to the society they are living in). Britain is a softer touch, in other words.

Last edited:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
It's a tough job market out there, really tough.
As a 'graduate' I realised things would be tough so applied for work before my course had finished and ended up starting a few days after officially finishing Uni (I appreciate that I was lucky). It sounds silly but if you wait until the end of your course to start looking you will be thrust into the cv pool with everyone else who has graduated / left college / left school. I would imagine unempoyment peaks in late summer, early autumn.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The "industrial industry"?? Scuse moi? :lol:

I've worked alongside Poles working in construction, and they are NOT necessarily that good as tradesmen - they are just cheaper than some English, and they often come as a gang and get their mates in on the job at every opportunity. Since they are 'over there' from Poland, it's pretty-much assumed that they can't afford to screw around and take the piss, which is mostly true. They do mess up though, they are sloppy, and they cannot always understand what they are meant to be doing. Most of the time they are 'loosely' tradesmen, and don't have any qualifications or lie about their experience just to get hired - so they wing it, and usually don't aim for the highly-skilled side of construction.
They have to pass the safety test, and often have to give that a few goes - they claim often to not have understood, but the test is provided in Polish too so it's a poor excuse.
Not that the test is simple because it's not.

They live 5 or 6 to a flat, so they spend as little as possible - then take what they earned in a year or two back to Poland where they can start a business of their own or buy a place, which is why they come to the UK to work. Britain also makes it easier for them to just arrive and get going, whereas even fellow EU nations make it difficult for migrants to just do that.... by only paying direct into bank accounts, requiring proof of actual residency and intent to remain (and therefore donate to the society they are living in). Britain is a softer touch, in other words.
O.k manufacturing industry etc....:D
Yes they do live that way but that's because they have no choice to be fair,I sold my car to a pole at work and he's struggling to run it:lol:

I agree we do make it very easy for them here but that's Britain for you,would love to know what the percentages are for poles working in manufacturing and retail,I get out a lot here and it's staggering how many you see,they're even in senior positions.I have criticised the amount in the manufacturing industry but that's obviously because it's lower paid,my point is that many on here said its great to have poles taking up all the unskilled jobs,but they're now moving up the ladder and will soon invade the offices.....this will soon have many on here moaning.:D

O.k manufacturing industry etc....:D
Yes they do live that way but that's because they have no choice to be fair,I sold my car to a pole at work and he's struggling to run it:lol:

I agree we do make it very easy for them here but that's Britain for you,would love to know what the percentages are for poles working in manufacturing and retail,I get out a lot here and it's staggering how many you see,they're even in senior positions.I have criticised the amount in the manufacturing industry but that's obviously because it's lower paid,my point is that many on here said its great to have poles taking up all the unskilled jobs,but they're now moving up the ladder and will soon invade the offices.....this will soon have many on here moaning.:D

If they can possibly "invade the offices" they will need to be better than the existing staff or another applicant, in which case they deserve to have the job.
That will require that they have an excellent command of the language, or perhaps be an interpretor or dealing with another language. The expected international language of business is, happily, English.
I teach business English abroad, so I imagine I've got a bit of an overview in this field really. In my life I have also worked in a few other countries outside Great Britain - two of which are not English-speaking countries. I also work with the general public abroad, so I need to understand something of their language as well.

Personally, I don't think your theory is based on anything sensible though - them taking office jobs would also require that they work for the same wage as any Brit doing that same job. It's not really like the construction industry where employers will go for cheaper paid employees!
Like I say, if they can do the work and are more skilled and speak the lingo perfectly well - then they deserve to get the job.

Incidentally, from your language I detect this "it needs to be addressed/swamped/soon to affect you" stuff as xenophobia that is the stuff of BNP bullcrap.
Since we are in the EEC, they cannot do anything to prevent or influence the RIGHTS of fellow European states to work and live in The UK!
If you want to go and work in another EEC member country then the same applies to YOUR rights.

With you sir albion, I highly recommend this horizon-broadening exercise, and you would be able to research on all the foreigners you will be immersed in with.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
With you sir albion, I highly recommend this horizon-broadening exercise, and you would be able to research on all the foreigners you will be immersed in with.

I interpret this as, having been up to your elbows in Swedish and other continental snatch over the years, you would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

I interpret this as, having been up to your elbows in Swedish and other continental snatch over the years, you would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

About half the people in the World have vaginas.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend ALL of them - I mean there are some vagina-decliners on here like you, and there's also Janet Street-Porter, Suzanne Boyle, and that old bint who did the dancing thing,... I think her name is John Sargeant

_45221519_a64def49-75b6-4361-a1c1-9b7ef41b7fb5.jpg

I'm more like a Ken Barlow sort, with a queue outside me bedroom innit
Ken Barlow had sex with 1,000 women, but would you? video - 3am Mirror Online

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Can't pay below a living wage. And you can't employ children either. It's f***ing outragous.

It is. A "living wage" depends on a lot of things and is way lower in families with 2 earners. As for kids working the sooner they learn a work ethic the better. I started at 11 and am pleased I did.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
that's why i'm going back to uni......struggling to find work in this shitstorm so i'm just going to get as qualified as possible for when it starts to get better (hopefully)

How are you able to get funding for that?

I thought you couldn't do a second degree now, what with all the changes to higher education.

I'd like to do something different.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I met a friend today. Met him through work and helped him get back on his feet and escape a long spell of homelessness. He was a professional chef, but has been struggling to find work for a long time.

Just completed a two week 'trial' with M&S in their cafe. The 'training' involved cleaning tables for two weeks and then told to leave at the end of it. So they got fifty hours work out of him for two weeks worth of bus tickets. The cycle then repeats itself with other 'trainees'. I'd suggest the manager is an utter wanker.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
how sad is it that youngsters now feel the need to find an employer or a job to have a fulfilled life.

Maybe if there were other socially acceptable ways to use ones time and contribute to society then those people out of work would not have such lack of self esteem.

It is funny that working is seen as the only way to contribute to society. Even though many jobs do not contribute as much as musicians, artists, writers,thinkers,academics, thinkers or protesters who may use the dole system to live.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I work in an office in the day and 3 x nights a week doing deliveries for a chinese take-away. People often comment on how smartly dressed I am for doing a take away job as i do it straight from work.

Anyway reason I posted was that one evening I was offered an interview whilst delivering in my suit and tie. I had to turn it down and explain that I had a job as well in the daytime he was so taken aback by the fact I was only 23 and held down 2 jobs that he gave me his card and said if I ever fancied a change or was stuck to give him a call. He worked for Legal and General.

I give my respect to anyone job hunting in these tough times but remember an offer can come from anywhere. Good luck

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I met a friend today. Met him through work and helped him get back on his feet and escape a long spell of homelessness. He was a professional chef, but has been struggling to find work for a long time.

Just completed a two week 'trial' with M&S in their cafe. The 'training' involved cleaning tables for two weeks and then told to leave at the end of it. So they got fifty hours work out of him for two weeks worth of bus tickets. The cycle then repeats itself with other 'trainees'. I'd suggest the manager is an utter wanker.

Thats awful. The problem is with looking for jobs these days it seems that everything is for temporary contracts. I know if you work well they can extend it but like your friend cleaning tables its free for m&s then out the door get the next one in.

I was walking around town earlier, and as I went along the side of the park in the town centre, saw a lad aged maybe eighteen, nineteen, walking towards me, earphones in, listening to music.

As I passed him, he took his earphones out, turned around and said "Excuse me...I know this probably sounds really desperate, but I wondered where you work, and if you knew of any jobs going?".

Said he'd been looking for ages and couldn't get work anywhere. I explained what I did and said he'd be best off contacting the organisation etc etc. He said thanks, smiled and went on.

He seemed a perfectly decent, respectable lad, well spoken & dressed, didn't look like a dimwit, habitual criminal or whatever. Nothing that would make you think "there's a reason employers are turning you down, pal". Not sure quite what this has to do with NSC really, but I suppose I'm just deeply struck by the fact that a young lad is so desperate to find work in these times that he's stopping total strangers in the street and asking them. It's not like we even live in an area where unemployment is rife. Perhaps if I did, I wouldn't be so surprised at something like this happening.

How sad is that though? I don't mean what he was doing, as it does show a bit of initiative, not to mention balls, but at the fact that times are so tough he has to do it in the first place. Those of us with jobs perhaps don't always appreciate how lucky we are (or how much other people genuinely want to work).

I do hope he finds something soon. And anyone on here in the same position :thumbsup:

Happy that my 17yo lad has found a bit of work,doing 4 different jobs today:) Also realise that my nephew is still looking for f/t work,looks like its easier to pick up p/t at the moment???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here