Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is really quite sad...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Totally agree. It's a shitty horrible world being unemployed (and in my case, for a time, unemployable due to illness), I can't describe how excited I was when I got the job, it felt like an achievement after being out of work for over a year. The wage isn't huge, but it's perfectly fine to me, and it's not about the money - it's about the dignity of being able to go out to work and support your family. That means more to me than anything.
Well done and congratulations mate. :clap:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's great to hear about Worthingite and I am sure it give's everyone a boost.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
You're right mate... A lot of people think that the grass is greener elsewhere (me included haha)... I have a mate that is a fantastic all round builder but with no qualifications (due to reading and writing problems) and would blow most tradesmen away with the quality of his work!! He wants me to go in with him but I want to be qualified to sign off my own work as a domestic installer as well as learning from him in how to do other general building work, (I am quite handy anyway).... I think that work will keep coming in for the better quality people but things will be tough for the foreseeable future for many..

As posted earlier we do have to be thankful for having employment but it's never too late to learn and expand your horizons when it comes to earning a living...

I'm glad you are doing well and keeping busy though mate.

sounds bloody good mate, good luck with it, and if you're ever stuck, we're normally desperate.......

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Considering it's a sales role I'm not so sure you should look down on candidates asking for more money. They are perfectly entitled to negotiate - a skill which will be used frequently in the job they will be doing. Would you prefer a candidate that just blindly accepts what they are given? From experience those are not the type of candidates any organisation wants in a sales role. I accept that just saying 'I'm a graduate' should not give you a higher salary but don't think its fair to discount candidates purely on the basis they have asked for more money.

Going back to the original topic - The only advice I can give to jobseekers is never simply rely on advertised jobs. Networking is a massive avenue - friends, friends of friends, ex colleagues, Linkedin etc. Email/phone/badger them. Its estimated that between between 60-80% of jobs are not openly advertised. I've been unemployed and its a very hard place to be. The second bit of advice is that as hard as it gets, don't give up as you will get there eventually.

Completely agree with you. Currently we are advertising for 2 software sales roles - basically targeting graduate-style oportunities. Working for the UK's largest private software company on a £25k + £10k role. Based near Slough / Windsor.

I have interviewed 28 candidates since January 5th.

Made 5 offers all of which were met with the response - yes I'm really interested but would expect a basic of £30k as i am a graduate.

f*** sake!!!! How can it be this hard in this environment to find some people who have a little ambition, some drive, intelligent and articulate and want to get on.

Clearly it would seem it is very hard.

Dandyman

In London village.
Minimum wage, government red tape and pention schemes need to be scrapped. Absolute bollox how you can't employ someone for an apprentacipe and train them while paying them £5 an hour - illegal, you have to pay them about £7 do hours of paper work and now give them a pention

Not sure if your post was intended seriously or not but the current rates (from 1 October 2011) are:
£6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
£4.98 - the 18-20 rate
£3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
£2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolute bollox how you can't employ someone for an apprentacipe and train them while paying them £5 an hour

Can't pay below a living wage. And you can't employ children either. It's f***ing outragous.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
it's all shit. people don't try nearly as hard as they claim, I'd agree. I have a job atm. Part time. Staying that way. Could go up to full time, but I won't. So I don't try. (Ask and I'll divulge that). Do not enjoy my job really one iota, can't live within my means, at all. But without it, I'd be stuffed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having been employed all my life when at the age to work I feel very fortunate given the current state of the employment market.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I left BT at the end of March 2003 after nearly 23 years in the job. I now earn 40% of what I used to but the money aspect doesn't bother me as long as I have enough to pay the bills every month.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
You never see a polish man or woman out of work do you:D

ah but think of what my people have recently had to go through. Many of them who take jobs here have or had nothing. Not to mention the fact the Nazis robbed the country, as did the Cossacks.

they are a bunch who understand what work and commitment is. I fear a lot of this 'cant get a job' lark is when people have ridiculous boundaries about what they are willing to do to get their money. Start somewhere, or not at all.

Jonny Boy

Feb 4, 2011
I took voluntary redundancy from a large Construction company about a year ago now. It was a huge risk due to the state of the economy. I was fortunate enough to land a job working on the internal fit out of the Amex (which was a dream come true) and then moved onto a new build housing project. However, like many others I then struggled to find another freelance position from November. This was due partly to the time of year but also the fact that any position I was applying for had a huge number of candidates and recruiters always looked at my age.

So what did I do? I job created. I developed my business from providing Site and Project Management to Main Contractors and became a Main Contractor myself. It took about 4 weeks to get it up and running. I spend the majority of my 4 weeks doing all the little things like setting up trade accounts, designing logo's, stationary, vehicle writing, tax, cis, compiling lists of subcontractors, compiling lists of managing and letting agents, checkatrade....the list goes on. We started operating on the 2nd January.

If you think it's a business that can gain a market share and you have a realist business plan then my advice is go for it. However be prepared for it to take over your life. I easily work 6 days a week at the moment and do a minimum 12 hour days but in a short space of time we have secured maintenance contracts, private contracts and also been given the opportunity to tender jobs over £50k. When a client rings and says they want to proceed with the works it's a real buzz! It makes all the stress and hard work worth while.

I am like many of you on here, i've got a mortgage and bills to pay and I funded the business mainly from some equity in the business and a small business loan for set up costs. It won't be an overnight success, nor will you become rich in the short term but if you are motivated enough to take the risk , willing to work bloody hard and can take the knocks, the good times will outweigh the bad. Equally I know that some people would never want to risk becoming self employed and I hope they do find the position they are looking for.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I was just speaking about this today.

3-4 years ago I thought about changing my job.
I distinctly remember the Thursday Argus banner, being 'over 700 jobs in today's paper'.

After Cardiff I brought the Thursday Argus (assuming it's still the jobs day) it had just 27 jobs advertised.

Nah mate. Jobs day is Friday and there were 673 jobs in there today.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
how sad is it that youngsters now feel the need to find an employer or a job to have a fulfilled life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here