Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things in the Sixties/Seventies.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I had a full attaché type case that must have held 40 plus cassettes, all the official pre- recorded type, no home recordings.
I left the lot on an Edinburgh to London train. I was heartbroken.

Me too, although I used to borrow and record a few on Maxell cassettes. Got stolen from my Mini in late 73 along with my fabulous great coat from Michael Barrie. I now have just two cassettes. Me and my mates trying to start a band in the basement of The Royal Albion in the 70's with me singing, and the other a selection of noodling by a great long departed mate of mine. As a result I have one portable cassette player in case I feel nostalgic for my youth.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
To continue with the trend of turning this thread 180 degrees.... Something you don't see today which was a common sight in the 60s and 70s is the comb over. The modern equivalent of course is the shaven head... "I'm not actually bald, I've chosen to shave my head". The shaven head of today is just using the reverse psychology of the 70s combover.

The comb over was a look sported by balding men in all walks of life but perhaps not ideally suited to all, with sportsmen and most notably footballers being a case in point. For reasons of practicality the comb over was best suited to those who led a more sedentary indoor existence and who didn't expose their strategically constructed coiffures to the elements of wind and rain....

Ralph Coates: Full head of healthy hair?...

Screenshot_2020-05-10-19-34-29.png

Perhaps not...

_20171025_231045.jpeg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm from oop North and in the 70's we had a man who delivered fizzy drinks to our door. The brand was (ironically) Corona, and we called him 'The Pop Man'

In the 80's, the Pop Man was Pete Waterman I suppose :lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The tally man.
My Mum used to buy us kids clothes from him, and pay on the never never.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
outside toilet

coalman coming down the hallway with a big sack on his shoulder

putting football coins in the gas meter instead of 50ps

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread has turned a 180 degrees, from things you never saw in the 60/70s, to things from that era you never see now:D

I stuck to the remit. You can see, now, how people thought Brexit would be a top wheeze, can't you?

I'll add some more.

Double glazing as the minimum
Black footballers doing extravagant goal celebrations
People like me going on skiing holidays
Conservative opposition to the Common Market
Out gay men who aren't remotely camp

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm from oop North and in the 70's we had a man who delivered fizzy drinks to our door. The brand was (ironically) Corona, and we called him 'The Pop Man'

In the 80's, the Pop Man was Pete Waterman I suppose :lolol:

We had the Corona van in Portslade in the 60s and 70s. I'd apologise for derailing the thread but, like countless others, you're telling us what we no longer have not what we didn't have then.

Here we go:

More than one telly downstairs
More than one household car
Battery operated rechargable electric screwdriver and strimmer
Hand-held vacuum cleaners
Coloured underpants in the 'trunks' style (we all had white Y fronts, ffs)
Men over the age of 40 with no visible ear or nose hair
No racist friends

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To continue with the trend of turning this thread 180 degrees.... Something you don't see today which was a common sight in the 60s and 70s is the comb over. The modern equivalent of course is the shaven head... "I'm not actually bald, I've chosen to shave my head". The shaven head of today is just using the reverse psychology of the 70s combover.

The comb over was a look sported by balding men in all walks of life but perhaps not ideally suited to all, with sportsmen and most notably footballers being a case in point. For reasons of practicality the comb over was best suited to those who led a more sedentary indoor existence and who didn't expose their strategically constructed coiffures to the elements of wind and rain....

Ralph Coates: Full head of healthy hair?...

View attachment 123424

Perhaps not...

View attachment 123425

An elegant, and beautifully illustrated post, if you don't mind my saying so, sir :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
suet pudding

If you are talking about steak and kidney pudding I used to see them every day in our Works Canteen in Widnes 1993-1995. Along with Chips and Gravy obviously.

The healthy eating promotions our Occ Health Department tried didn't pan out too well.

I remember the Posters they put up - Why not try a Salad? and someone writing below Why not **** off? :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'm not sure that women had orgasms in the 60s and 70s as far as I'm aware. I think that development first emerged in the early 80s and possibly even later up north.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here