Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things in the Sixties/Seventies.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Telephone boxes - press button A, button B etc
Being able to walk right round the Goldstone so you could change ends at half time
The half time scores system with the letters at the side of the pitch corresponding to matches in the programme
Radio Luxembourg - the royal ruler et al
Caroline, London and other pirates
Transistor radios
Cricket on BBC all day
The FA Cup final on all day from about 10 in the morning
PETER WARD and those heady days of the mid-late seventies
The BEST era for music

As something of "a Pirate Radio geek" I have to point out that Radio Caroline is still going strong - on AM Medium Wave, and on the Internet. Caroline continues.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
We didn't have coronaviruses in the 60s and 70s, at least not in the street where I lived. We had to make do with polio... or thalidomide if we had been really lucky and born in the early 60s.

Also bicycles with more than three gears, that's if you had more than just the one in the first place.

I had a bath every day when I was a kid in the 70’s . I also had I think 3 black kids in my school not one as previously mentioned , although from memory sadly they were the worst behaved kids .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had a bath every day when I was a kid in the 70’s . I also had I think 3 black kids in my school not one as previously mentioned , although from memory sadly they were the worst behaved kids .

We had one in my primary school (small and rural Devon village - he was in a nearby 'boy's home'). I still shudder at the things we used to say.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Even in the 80’s people seemed a lot more into clothes & style than now .

More individual and less sheep like .

Bang on there. I spent a few hours ironing shirts yesterday ( enough for a few weeks) . . . . most of our office are slack arsed peasants, stylewise, I was better dressed in the workshop fixing my Lambretta at the weekend. Jeans and nylon polo shirts seems to be a norm. I insist on a collared shirt, trousers and polished shoes purely because I find it comfortable and don't wan't to look like a sheep.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

You must have gone to a comprehensive or secondary moderm as grammar schools seemingly only had a quota of one, and that was per the entire school not per each year. Same with my junior school.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You must have gone to a comprehensive or secondary moderm as grammar schools seemingly only had a quota of one, and that was per the entire school not per each year. Same with my junior school.

Steyning grammar had and still has a boarding house, when I was there 82-87 We had quite a multicultural gang, albeit a minority. even a welsh lad :lolol:

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Cheese plants in the seventies. Every household had one. I see they are making a comeback.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Steyning grammar had and still has a boarding house, when I was there 82-87 We had quite a multicultural gang, albeit a minority. even a welsh lad :lolol:

The 80s were very different to the 70s and certainly the 60s as far as racial assimilation and integration was concerned.

Obviously the schools here on the South Coast* in the 60s and 70s did not reflect the situation nationally as a whole.

But the lack of racial assimilation was reflected nationally in many sports and certainly in football throughout the 60s and 70s.

Throughout the 60s and up to the mid 70s I can only personally recall one high profile black player and that was Clyde Best of West Ham. The majority of football teams up to about 1977 didn't have any black players and those few that did probably had no more than one at any time.

Throughout the entirety of the 60s and 70s Brighton had just one black player, Dave Busby between 73-75 but he only made four appearances, three of which were as sub. After he left our next black player was Chris Ramsey who made his first senior appearance in 1981.

A similar situation prevailed at clubs throughout the UK, when up until about 1977 the majority of teams with the odd occasional exception were exclusively white. It took until 1980 before a black player first played for Liverpool. Chelsea didn't sign their first black player until 1981. Everton had one mixed race player in the 60s who made just 11 appearances, their*second black player made just 7 appearances between*1975 and 1976 and they had no black players at all throughout the 80s before signing Daniel Amokachi in 1994.

It was West Bromwich Albion who broke the mould in 1978 when they had three black players appear for them in the same team, Cyril Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendan Batson. It was such a novelty that they were nicknamed The Three Degrees after Prince Charles' favourite pop combo.

So with reference to the question posed by this thread another example would be football teams who had no black players bar the occasional singular exceptions.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

From 1964 onwards we had 3 Indian kids in our house!

They were my foster brother and sisters though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Throughout the 60s and up to the mid 70s I can only personally recall one high profile black player and that was Clyde Best of West Ham.

There was Albert Johansen (sp?) who was playing at Leeds from the early 60s to around 67. And Ces Podd of Bradford City - not only did he play, he's also the player who's made the most appearances for them

But you're right: there weren't many around then - it's been a massive change.

On a similar vein, you could say the same of Asian and black cricketers. There were some playing county cricket but they were all Pakistani or Indian (or Kenyan in the case of Basharat Hussain). It wasn't until the 80s that we saw English-born BAME cricketers come through the system. I'm not 100% sure but I think Syd Lawrence was the first British-born black player to represent England and that was in the late 80s.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
There was Albert Johansen (sp?) who was playing at Leeds from the early 60s to around 67......

I only recently learnt about Johannesen. I was a bit too young to remember him at the time as most of his games for Leeds were prior to 1966 after which he only played for them 11 times.

He had a sad life becoming an alcoholic and dying destitute aged 55 in 1995. George Best told a story of when he encountered him in Leeds in the early 90s....

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/...ved-the-way-for-black-footballers-at-the-top/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here