Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These travel vouchers are a bit of a RIP OFF aren't they ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
£6 return from Burgess Hill to Falmer, whichever route I take, so £30 for the season is a BARGAIN in my book.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Notters, why do you think mill road will be made away only, its the best one for anyone travelling from the west like bognor, worthing la etc.

Who the hell comes all the way from LA?
Is Beckham signing?

There will be no way to check if a voucher has been used on the train as the conductors are not going to keep a running count and I very much doubt it would have to be surrendered at Falmer station, and even less likely at your home station on the way back
That is precisely what I was told the Club and Southern were discussing only a couple of weeks ago. Surrender the Voucher when you arrive at Falmer Station pre-match, and (I presume) surrender the other half when you enter Falmer Station post-match.

It's a system full of flaws and is unworkable - unless the train operator is happy to lose revenue. My guess is that something different might now have been worked out. Although, despite my 35 years experience of designing and implementing public transport ticketing systems, I'm struggling to work out how a voucher-based system can possibly work, other than requiring passengers to exchange vouchers for proper railway tickets at a ticket office.

Can I just mention that I used the trains for probably 90% of the games I attended at Withdean, and no rail official EVER, even once examined my match ticket to check it was for the correct game. I used to go from Burgess Hill to Brighton, thus needing to go through the barriers to exit to the pub, and they never even gave the ticket a second glance before waving me through. Then I used the same voucher again in the evening to get home (often hours later than the so called cut off point). Sometimes I'd even go CRAZY and chuck in a little bus journey from Withdean back to the Basketmakers too.

My conclusion: Network Rail staff couldn't give a monkeys what your travel voucher says. This may be different of course once they work out that not every fan will automatically have them. But my bet is they won't be that fussed about checking 5,000 tickets with their owners all queuing up to leave Falmer station.
The Withdean Travel Vouchers had no monetary value, as far as the train companies were concerned. Whatever payment the Club made to the train operator was based on surveys of how many people (roughly) were using the vouchers.

The Falmer Travel Voucher DOES have a monetary value - not least to supporters. If the Vouchers aren't checked, what's the point of buying them? Why not just board the train at an unstaffed station (and there are LOADS of them) and travel free of charge? If a lot of people did that, the likes of Easy 10 (who will shell out a wad of notes on Vouchers he doesn't really want - at least in the quantity he fears he will have to buy) will be doubly pissed off. And if there are thousands of people travelling without paying anything, so will the train operators. And the Club.

personally,not sure how it will work for me.im going with my 12 year old boy who can get on a bus with a paying adult for 20p so in theory i should only have to buy a book for myself. but not sure yet if this will work for these designated buses.,anyone know different!
That's one of the questions that has been sent to the Club for an answer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With B&H Buses about to introduce smartcard technology its feasible the travel voucher could be loaded onto the card for fans only travelling by a B&H bus (£30 for 30 matches or individually purchased matches)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The £30 a book isn't convenient for me as I won't be able to get to every game. Not too concerned about having to pay the usual bus fares as I consider it generous that we get subsidised travel anyway BUT I do want to be able to pay match by match on the football special buses... That's essential. The normal bus routes are so much slooooower (judging by the timetables).

Mar 10, 2006
Would have thought that you will be able to buy them for single matches as one offs. I am likely to go by train from polegate so there is no value in buying travel vouchers however there may be the odd occasion that taking the car is necessary so would need to use park and ride and surely you can't be expected to buy £30 worth for 2 or 3 occasions

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
After ten years of having an utterly worthless Travel Voucher strapped to the side of me match ticket, on account of living half a mile from Withdean,any voucher type thing I can exchange in part payment for transport to Falmer is a marked improvement. YAY! :clap:

Would have thought that you will be able to buy them for single matches as one offs. I am likely to go by train from polegate so there is no value in buying travel vouchers
Indeed. There's an offer at the moment that gives you 25% off a day return ticket from Polegate to Lewes or Falmer, if bought online.

Polegate - Lewes is £4.35 off-peak day return; Polegate - Falmer is £4.95 off-peak day return.

Vouchers are only valid for the Lewes-Falmer section. If you use a Voucher, you'll spend £5.35 and be 40 pence worse off.

What I don't understand is the logic of a Travel Voucher giving a return journey from Haywards Heath for nothing more than the £1 price of the Voucher, when the normal rail fare to Falmer from Haywards Heath is MORE EXPENSIVE than the normal rail fare from Polegate.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Again I ask the question, do the Albion have to sub. travel. If they don't, they're doing most of us a favour. We'd have to use the present modes anyhow at a greater price and don't say everyone would just drive because the council would just change the parking rules.

Oct 9, 2010
CRAWLEY
What is all the fuss about the system will work exactly the same as the previous 10 yrs at withdean the only difference is you have the CHOICE TO PURCHASE or not,SIMPLE
Northstanders had the smart card and travel book system last season no difference to a match day ticket .
WSU ticket plus travel vouchers is still £60 cheaper than i was paying last year at the withdean plus a better view .BARGAIN END OF THREAD

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company

Brighton & Hove Buses is pleased to be providing a network of bus routes serving the Amex Stadium on match days. The Albion are selling travel vouchers and we understand that 1 voucher = 1 bus journey. If you need to change buses en route to the stadium and vice versa, you will need to use another voucher.

There will be Park & Ride buses from Mill Road, Lewes Road (Mithras House) and Brighton Racecourse.

For matches with a 3pm kick off the Park & Ride buses will start running at 12.00 with last departures at 2.30pm. This will give you plenty of time to sample all the facilities at the new Stadium.

Hopefully they are aware of the changes to the scheme and match specific vouchers.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company

Brighton & Hove Buses is pleased to be providing a network of bus routes serving the Amex Stadium on match days. The Albion are selling travel vouchers and we understand that 1 voucher = 1 bus journey. If you need to change buses en route to the stadium and vice versa, you will need to use another voucher.

Does that mean there will be TWO vouchers per game in your book of 30? So it that just for 15 matches? or will there actually be 60 vouchers?? Or something else?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Terrific , you can only use vouchers on the football specials (routes P , R and S) as saver tickets and concessionary passes wont be accepted :rant: For instance anyone travelling to The Amex from Newhaven , Peacehaven and Saltdean with a saver ticket or concessionary pass will have to go the Old Steine and change instead of using the shuttle bus from Rottingdean.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Does that mean there will be TWO vouchers per game in your book of 30? So it that just for 15 matches? or will there actually be 60 vouchers?? Or something else?

Will this apply on train journeys as well , if you need to change trains ? Or use a bus and then a train ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here