Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These travel vouchers are a bit of a RIP OFF aren't they ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Eh ?
But EVERYONE has to get to and from the game regardless. Those who have bought travel vouchers are not going to decide whether to USE that voucher based on whether or not its match-specific are they ? Sorry, maybe I'm not really understanding the point you are making.

The reason the vouchers are a problem to you is that they don't offer you much flexibility, that is clear from the thread. My point is the club probably don't want you or as few people as possible to have too much flexibility, they want you to commit to a mode of transport and use that week in week out. The less people that make ad hoc travel arrangements, the better. Not going to suit everyone, your case in point. Only my opinion but I think the vouchers are set up to appeal the very people that will commit to one of the travel options on offer and stick to it. Won't work for everyone, but suspect it will have the desired effect.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The only reason I can see for the club to make them match specific, is that they'll re-coup some (quite a lot?) of their subsidy costs by selling vouchers that will never be used. Presumably they only have to give money to train/bus companies for used vouchers? If they give them a set amount each year then this is not the case.

Ker-ching! Rip-off, as Easy said. They are doing it this way, so benefit from unused tickets. That was his point all along.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Nice theory, but totally wrong, given that the vouchers are not specific to one mode of transport. For example there are people in this thread who have said they'll use the train on Saturdays, but the P&R for evenings games. Selling them a season's worth of vouchers doesn't inform the club in any way, of HOW they are going to be used.

I do like Bold Seagulls logistical brain but I agree. At best the match restricted vouchers give the club a maximum figure of vouchers that are in circulation for any particular game but its not 'travel mode' specific so I can't see the point either.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They can just pay the full price on the buses and trains and has anyone said that P&Rs will be available to matchday ticket holders (or away fans for that matter) - just like the near site parking at the Amex?

Are you seriously suggesting that P&R MIGHT be just for season ticket holders?

The only reason I can see for the club to make them match specific, is that they'll re-coup some (quite a lot?) of their subsidy costs by selling vouchers that will never be used. Presumably they only have to give money to train/bus companies for used vouchers? If they give them a set amount each year then this is not the case.

How would they know if it's been used?

More likely story is that southern get 25% of what's sold, the buses get 25% and the Albion keep the rest. 5% is given to the coach companies. Albion keep the rest, as either profit or towards P+R costs.

There will be no way to check if a voucher has been used on the train as the conductors are not going to keep a running count and I very much doubt it would have to be surrendered at Falmer station, and even less likely at your home station on the way back

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
this said,i dont thnk mine ever got checked in all the years at withers,just flashed my match tiket from my wallet

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I was told when I bought the vouchers that they were not match specific. I know this contradicts what insider says.

But (shoot me down) he must be wrong.

There are 7 extra vouchers in there. How can these be specific? Match 1,2, etc Cup game 1,2,3 etc
If they were specific, what happens when a game is postponed? As above

:amex: :cool:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was told when I bought the vouchers that they were not match specific. I know this contradicts what insider says.

There are 7 extra vouchers in there. How can these be specific?
If they were specific, what happens when a game is postponed?
Are those funny conductor people really going to check what game it is for?
Would they even know the game that day?
Are only match specific ones going to open the barriers at the station on the right day?

The answer is simple. Buy one book for 4 of you. The train people will never ask you to surrender it. You can use it time and time again.

Is it not apparent from the vouchers themselves whether or not they are match specific ? (I've not seen them yet myself). I was assuming that if they were match specific, each one would have the name of the team we were playing printed on them, like our old Withdean season tickets. The non-specific ones for cup games would obviously have to be blank, but would be presented when we're playing in the cup.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
If you're planning on using every single one then it's obviously a good deal, match specific or not. I'm sure you would spend more than £30 on travel even if using half of the vouchers. If you're going to use 10 or less of the vouchers then it probably isn't worth it and not the scheme for you. I'm positive the club will sort something out, maybe not straight away but once they have gone through the inevitable teething problems they're sure to offer many different travel schemes.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

There are 7 extra vouchers in there. How can these be specific?
They are predicted cup games I believe, so they technically they couldn't be used for a league game.
If they were specific, what happens when a game is postponed?
I think they are match specific so will apply to the rearranged fixture.
Are those funny conductor people really going to check what game it is for?
Probably not, but expensive if they do. Those getting to the Brighton barriers, or going further afield may find more vigilant conductors as their journey progresses.
Would they even know the game that day?
Who knows.
Are only match specific ones going to open the barriers at the station on the right day?
Who knows.

The answer is simple. Buy one book for 4 of you. The train people will never ask you to surrender it. You can use it time and time again.

You might be right, they may have planned the match specific system, but it might be unworkable. I've only offered an opinion as to why they may have implemented it in that way.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
personally,not sure how it will work for me.im going with my 12 year old boy who can get on a bus with a paying adult for 20p so in theory i should only have to buy a book for myself. but not sure yet if this will work for these designated buses.,anyone know different!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do like Bold Seagulls logistical brain but I agree. At best the match restricted vouchers give the club a maximum figure of vouchers that are in circulation for any particular game but its not 'travel mode' specific so I can't see the point either.

Thank you!

I'm not saying I agree with the travel vouchers as they stand, all I have offered is a theory as to why a table full of the club administrators & directors came up with the current travel scheme, and the potential thinking behind it. My theory is only flawed because the travel voucher scheme is, my actual theory as to why they've done it is sound!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Just to clarify, and so theat EASY doesn't rush out and buy a book of travel vouchers before Saturday, I received the following from the SCFA today:

Further Information for SENIOR CUP FINAL Match Ticket Holders only

Since sending out the tickets and associated Travel Information, we have been informed that for this match only the Park & Ride system is FREE – there is not a requirement for you to purchase any vouchers for travel.

Please pass this on to all those attending the match.

Thanks

++

In addition Insider has also confirmed on Ask the Club, that as long as you have a MATCH ticket, NO TRAVEL VOUCHER is needed this Saturday.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can I just mention that I used the trains for probably 90% of the games I attended at Withdean, and no rail official EVER, even once examined my match ticket to check it was for the correct game. I used to go from Burgess Hill to Brighton, thus needing to go through the barriers to exit to the pub, and they never even gave the ticket a second glance before waving me through. Then I used the same voucher again in the evening to get home (often hours later than the so called cut off point). Sometimes I'd even go CRAZY and chuck in a little bus journey from Withdean back to the Basketmakers too.

My conclusion: Network Rail staff couldn't give a monkeys what your travel voucher says. This may be different of course once they work out that not every fan will automatically have them. But my bet is they won't be that fussed about checking 5,000 tickets with their owners all queuing up to leave Falmer station.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here