Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's funny isn't it, that the government aren't even trying to get the messaging right here. They've tricked people into voting for self harm (Brexit) and managed to keep almost an entire population in their houses for months on end through government messaging, but they can't stop people panic buying petrol that is needed by millions of their fellow citizens to keep the country and the NHS moving.

Where's the catchy slogan?
The idea is to impose a lockdown - due to people not having fuel - but not officially so as not to enrage their anti-lockdown wing.

And to blame the peasants for it.

It's going well and they will be very happy.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I think this Government is a shower of sh1te going right back to Cameron being fooled by a chancer from Kent and holding a referendum.

I would vote labour as an alternative and did when Blair got into power (not that it makes much difference in this blue rinse area) however Corbyn was actually an even bigger cock the current Government and Starmer is totally ineffective at present.

I find Labour very frustrating at the minute. As an example, Asked if he supported the governments decision for temporary Visas for foreigh lorry drivers, Kier says he does. Surely, Labour should be pushing higher pay and better condtions in the industry and not the cheap Eastern european sticking plaster? That used to be the point of Labour. Then he wonders where the red wall has gone. Despite the gaps on the supermarket shelves, Petrol stations with no petrol in them and the poorest in society just about to become worse off he misses every open goal going like a political Billy Paynter. It all adds up to more of the same shit show at the next election.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and this is the problem with how this is being reported, its creating more and more panic buying. the radio on your way home says "thousands of stations closed" and you pass one that happens to be open, you have half a tank, enough for a week maybe or longer. Normally you would carry on by, and not even think about filling up but given that "thousands" are closed you wait in line and top up and with thousands of others doing the same, cause more fuel to be sold than would normally be the case and thus the station runs out and is added to the list of Thousands closed and here we go again

Why don't the Media say that of the thousands closed yesterday- thousands have reopened today-that way people wont have quite the urge to fill up half full cars, the stations remain open longer and the whole thing goes away

This is a case of the media creating the story by stating "Petrol stations closing due to no deliveries" when in fact it was just a few temporary closing by ONE company, causing thousands people to fill up unnecessarily and therefore creating the shortage they reported on.

But THIS time, it actually is the general public, we all know it. This "shortage" hasn't been caused by anything other than the public going out and buying fuel they don't need, thus depriving the people who do need it .

Unfortunately the Great British Public (excepting Northern Ireland it seems) are so bloody stupid and selfish that they have caused the very thing they are scared of. Its easy to say "ah, you cant blame the people, its governments fault, but its about time people took a bit of responsibility over their actions. Had people just carried on as normal the shortage would never have happened.

Even now people wont act responsibly, and so this will drag on to next week as people find more and more cans to fill up.

Blame government for all sorts, but this one lays firmly on the media for stupid reporting, and mainly on the public for being complete asswipes

I'm quoting your original post, that I answered. The BBC (the government mouthpiece) reported it, which caused the panic. The papers didn't report anything until Friday.

The public responded exactly as the politicians thought they would, so they can now blame the public.
Yes, this bunch of Tories are that devious.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I find Labour very frustrating at the minute. As an example, Asked if he supported the governments decision for temporary Visas for foreigh lorry drivers, Kier says he does. Surely, Labour should be pushing higher pay and better condtions in the industry and not the cheap Eastern european sticking plaster? That used to be the point of Labour. Then he wonders where the red wall has gone. Despite the gaps on the supermarket shelves, Petrol stations with no petrol in them and the poorest in society just about to become worse off he misses every open goal going like a political Billy Paynter. It all adds up to more of the same shit show at the next election.

It is frustrating.

But he does seem to find himself in a lot of lose/lose situations.

In this example, if he opposed this it gives Boris a massive open goal. "At least we're doing something to get you petrol".

I agree he doesn't always help himself and he's not that inspiring

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm quoting your original post, that I answered. The BBC (the government mouthpiece) reported it, which caused the panic. The papers didn't report anything until Friday.

The public responded exactly as the politicians thought they would, so they can now blame the public.
Yes, this bunch of Tories are that devious.

You have to be intelligent to be devious.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's funny isn't it, that the government aren't even trying to get the messaging right here. They've tricked people into voting for self harm (Brexit) and managed to keep almost an entire population in their houses for months on end through government messaging, but they can't stop people panic buying petrol that is needed by millions of their fellow citizens to keep the country and the NHS moving.

Fuel me once, shame on you.
Fuel me twice, shame on me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Does the pump stop at £30 or did you stop?

Normally the card only pumps give you a maximum spend of £99 once your card details are accepted, today it just offered a maximum of £30 and yes, I tried to hold the trigger down but it cut out bang on £30.

I have no problem with this, in fact I think its a brilliant idea. If suppose you are off on holiday in the car to Scotland and you have a full tank but you have heard that many garages are closed due to running out of fuel its quite nervewracking thinking " Will I be able to get fuel in 350 miles time ? " If all petrol stations are limiting the spend to £30 it means more garages will have at least some petrol rather than get stripped bare. Yes, you might have to stop an extra couple of times but, thats a price worth paying to know you will be able to buy £30 at least.

And yes, some idiots will stop the moment they think they have room for £30 to top the tank but, it should stop people taking the piss until they find another loophole.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Normally the card only pumps give you a maximum spend of £99 once your card details are accepted, today it just offered a maximum of £30 and yes, I tried to hold the trigger down but it cut out bang on £30.

I have no problem with this, in fact I think its a brilliant idea. If suppose you are off on holiday in the car to Scotland and you have a full tank but you have heard that many garages are closed due to running out of fuel its quite nervewracking thinking " Will I be able to get fuel in 350 miles time ? " If all petrol stations are limiting the spend to £30 it means more garages will have at least some petrol rather than get stripped bare. Yes, you might have to stop an extra couple of times but, thats a price worth paying to know you will be able to buy £30 at least.

And yes, some idiots will stop the moment they think they have room for £30 to top the tank but, it should stop people taking the piss until they find another loophole.

Agreed.

I just got £30 at our local Asda. Queue looked significant, but was well managed, and I was in and out in 10 minutes.

The £30 limit keeps supplies intact, means each person isn't at the pump too long, and also means that every purchase is within the contactless payment limit, which speeds up the payments.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just sat here thinking about my full tank having just cracked open a 24 pack of loo roll. What a time to be alive.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

I don't know about the slogan, but here's the song.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's just taken Mrs Crodo 90 (ninety) minutes to fill up her Vauxhall Nova at the local independent garage. Just who are these selfish people desperate to fill up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here