Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I know there are far more serious implications of the current situation but if things don't correct themselves in the next few days I can see next weekend's league programme being impacted too. If players can't get to training and if stewards, safety officers, officials and all the other match day staff required to get a game on can't travel to stadiums then postponements seem inevitable. Hopefully, as posted above, things might be back to something more like normal by the end of the week?

They really need to devise some sort of alternative way of getting about. Maybe like a large carriage type thing which runs on a track?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
and this is the problem with how this is being reported, its creating more and more panic buying. the radio on your way home says "thousands of stations closed" and you pass one that happens to be open, you have half a tank, enough for a week maybe or longer. Normally you would carry on by, and not even think about filling up but given that "thousands" are closed you wait in line and top up and with thousands of others doing the same, cause more fuel to be sold than would normally be the case and thus the station runs out and is added to the list of Thousands closed and here we go again

Why don't the Media say that of the thousands closed yesterday- thousands have reopened today-that way people wont have quite the urge to fill up half full cars, the stations remain open longer and the whole thing goes away

This is a case of the media creating the story by stating "Petrol stations closing due to no deliveries" when in fact it was just a few temporary closing by ONE company, causing thousands people to fill up unnecessarily and therefore creating the shortage they reported on.

I was down to just under a 1/4 of a tank this morning so I went to the local Asda and queued for about 15 mins and filled up my £30 limit per sale..on my drive on to the Morrisons in Littlehampton the Shell garage had fuel and a long but orderly queue, Morrisons garage had no fuel and on the way back the Esso station by The North Star also had no fuel.

So, I think it is still hitting hard but the idea of a £30 limit should help ease things I would think. It means that no one can get too greedy and cars move faster through the pumps. However, there was no one supervising the Card Only station and i would not be surprised to see some greedy ******** just re-inserting their cards to get 2x £30 !

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok, then Peter Kyle, who has stood up to the Labour Party in his time. He is another good MP.

That's the problem with holding grudges. I didn't like Norman Baker because of his opposition to the stadium, but I did vote LD last time to try to get rid of the Tory who is a sycophant, even voting against pay rises for nurses, despite being a nurse herself.

I will probably vote LD next time, unless the Labour candidate has a chance to defeat the Tories.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Also, the people involved 25 years ago are all gone now. One way or another. There's no Albion related reason not to vote for them.

I suspect, or indeed hope, you might be saying something different if their opposition had forced the club to fold. No mercy from me I'm afraid.

I swore then I would never vote for them again and I intend to honour that pledge.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I suspect, or indeed hope, you might be saying something different if their opposition had forced the club to fold. No mercy from me I'm afraid.

"No mercy"

It's just an excuse to vote tory. Everyone who does so has to find some way of assuaging the guilt and self hatred that comes from enabling such self interested incompetents to win back power.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I know there are far more serious implications of the current situation but if things don't correct themselves in the next few days I can see next weekend's league programme being impacted too. If players can't get to training and if stewards, safety officers, officials and all the other match day staff required to get a game on can't travel to stadiums then postponements seem inevitable. Hopefully, as posted above, things might be back to something more like normal by the end of the week?

Yes I was surprised this wasn't mentioned over the weekend regarding league clubs but if it's still bad towards end of the week you'd have to worry

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I swore then I would never vote for them again and I intend to honour that pledge.

Yep, holding a grudge.

I say as a paid up member of the Seagulls Party (the only party I have ever been a member of) who helped my husband when he was a candidate.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was down to just under a 1/4 of a tank this morning so I went to the local Asda and queued for about 15 mins and filled up my £30 limit per sale..on my drive on to the Morrisons in Littlehampton the Shell garage had fuel and a long but orderly queue, Morrisons garage had no fuel and on the way back the Esso station by The North Star also had no fuel.

So, I think it is still hitting hard but the idea of a £30 limit should help ease things I would think. It means that no one can get too greedy and cars move faster through the pumps. However, there was no one supervising the Card Only station and i would not be surprised to see some greedy ******** just re-inserting their cards to get 2x £30 !
Does the pump stop at £30 or did you stop?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think we have to move on. Politics is about people not institutions and the liberals of a generation ago are not the same as the current lot.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm a centrist - and long for a viable alternative to what must be the worst Govt (and definitely the worst cabinet in my memory)

What is such a shame is that the Labour Party have spent the weekend infighting about how MPs/Leadership are selected/elected rather than try and spell out their policies (and more importantly how they will pay for them)

It's the likes of me that Starmer needs to get on board - and the likes of Angela Rayner are not helping him.

As for the LibDems - they recently won a stunning By-Election - yet nobody knows what they stand for. Feeble is an understatement.

I actually have no one to vote for at the moment.

I think this Government is a shower of sh1te going right back to Cameron being fooled by a chancer from Kent and holding a referendum.

I would vote labour as an alternative and did when Blair got into power (not that it makes much difference in this blue rinse area) however Corbyn was actually an even bigger cock the current Government and Starmer is totally ineffective at present.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They really need to devise some sort of alternative way of getting about. Maybe like a large carriage type thing which runs on a track?

I recall reading during Project Restart that it takes about 300 people to stage a PL game behind closed doors - admittedly, that included staff from the broadcasters. (For a game with supporters present I guess that number easily doubles if you include stewards, safety folk, police and ambulance staff and catering staff etc). I suppose a proportion of those could get the train and then home again at some stadiums - but certainly not all of them, and not across all stadiums.

The numbers required in the other leagues will be fewer but the same logistical problems will apply.

But hopefully by the end of the week anyone that needs fuel will have been able to get some. Things do seem to be easing a little.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I suppose they reason, there's no laws being broken
The law that says you can't keep more than 30 litres of petrol at home without a licence, and even then it must be kept in a locked outhouse with nothing at all in the house, is being broken in many cases. The news media could perhaps repair some of this damage by stressing that point on the news, as well as pointing out that anyone who does have petrol in the house almost certainly has invalidated their fire insurance.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"No mercy"

It's just an excuse to vote tory. Everyone who does so has to find some way of assuaging the guilt and self hatred that comes from enabling such self interested incompetents to win back power.

And out of interest, how do you know if I voted Tory or not at the last, or even previous, elections ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

trouble there is leaves you miles from your destination. maybe the alternative is animals that you ride, dont take up much space and convey you right to where you want to be. could rig up a carriage to pull behind to carry a group to the same place.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's funny isn't it, that the government aren't even trying to get the messaging right here. They've tricked people into voting for self harm (Brexit) and managed to keep almost an entire population in their houses for months on end through government messaging, but they can't stop people panic buying petrol that is needed by millions of their fellow citizens to keep the country and the NHS moving.

Where's the catchy slogan?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
In the meantime, the politicians are gleefully pointing at the public, blaming them for the shortages. It's all dead cats and sleight of hand.

But THIS time, it actually is the general public, we all know it. This "shortage" hasn't been caused by anything other than the public going out and buying fuel they don't need, thus depriving the people who do need it .

Unfortunately the Great British Public (excepting Northern Ireland it seems) are so bloody stupid and selfish that they have caused the very thing they are scared of. Its easy to say "ah, you cant blame the people, its governments fault, but its about time people took a bit of responsibility over their actions. Had people just carried on as normal the shortage would never have happened.

Even now people wont act responsibly, and so this will drag on to next week as people find more and more cans to fill up.

Blame government for all sorts, but this one lays firmly on the media for stupid reporting, and mainly on the public for being complete asswipes

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
trouble there is leaves you miles from your destination. maybe the alternative is animals that you ride, dont take up much space and convey you right to where you want to be. could rig up a carriage to pull behind to carry a group to the same place.

Also I'm not sure if staff would make it. If tonight was at the Amex,last train out of Falmer is 23.51, I think the bars close at 23.00.

Is it possible to close, tidy, secure the stadium and get all the staff to the station in 51 minutes? From closing pubs I'd be surprised. And that would only get them to a Brighton or Lewes /Seaford.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here