Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Six of seven petrol stations closed on my journey back from Heathrow to home. The one open was resulting in carnage on the roads around it. My work trip on Tuesday will have to be cancelled.

The warnings were made before the vote, ignored superficially by too many. We now we have the countries finest Brexit MPs in the govt and unable to lead. Boris warned this was bubbling up in June. Shambolic.
We are staggering from one crisis to another mostly because a, the Government can't / won't accept that it's Brexit " Deal " is a disaster, b, the,Government refuses to listen to many industry leaders and genuine experts because their views and inside knowledge further undermine " a".

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Had to cancel work today due to lack of fuel.

I have 80 miles to do tomorrow, not really cancellable, it will be touch and go and I'm seriously worried about running out of fuel.

I don't see this problem in other countries.

Utter shambles from the clown in charge. Johnson must fall.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
The theory of whether they should be more efficient is one thing. The practice of whether they are, is another. But it could be that they are a lot less self-motivated than you. People who work for the DVLA have secure jobs for life that do not depend on them generating any income. Perhaps none of them have enough desire to get things working properly.

Agreed but on the other hand it is hard to see how an organisation like DVLA doesn't have fundamental KPIs to measure and track efficiency.

A friend who works for a financial institution received an email early in the pandemic from the head of division to advise everyone could finish early on the Friday because they could see how efficient everyone was. It's likely that folk were using the commuting time etc. to get the job done.

Yes, I'm highly motivated and results driven, like another poster here, I have also been promoted during this WFH period while not being physically present in the office work environment.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I have 80 miles to do tomorrow, not really cancellable, it will be touch and go and I'm seriously worried about running out of fuel.

Perhaps other countries don’t have the number of conspiracy theorists we have ? This is a manufactured crisis

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The trolley crashes again and again

And a 3 month visa to attract EU drivers is a joke.

We're prepared to give students a 2 year visa after a degree and this is the offer to essential workers to save our bacon.

2 years minimum plus healthcare covered if they are serious

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We are staggering from one crisis to another mostly because a, the Government can't / won't accept that it's Brexit " Deal " is a disaster, b, the,Government refuses to listen to many industry leaders and genuine experts because their views and inside knowledge further undermine " a".

Didn’t they say **** business and also that they've had enough of experts? These are in charge of the country. Bunch of self entitled rich plonkers if you ask me. My brexit petrol took 40 queuing mins to get this morning, my eu petrol took zero queuing minites

D

Deleted member 22389

Perhaps other countries don’t have the number of conspiracy theorists we have ? This is a manufactured crisis

Your right, because everything was running fine, and everyone was getting fuel. Someone mentions a few petrol stations not getting fuel delivered, and the whole country goes crazy. Everything would be fine now if people had just kept their cool.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

But that is massively different to what Justice was claiming. His claim was that the Taliban and Chinese had done a deal to disrupt oil supplies - that article says that instability in the area could force fuel prices up and make fuel supply more volatile - a very different animal in my opinion.

Also, Justice does appear to veer towards the conspiracy theory end of things, rather than an acceptance that this has been caused in the UK by an incompetent government and stupid greedy people.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
You are right let’s just believe everything the government tell us :thumbsup:

Or alternatively believe my conspiracy theory mates...!

the problem in the UK has been caused by incompetence, in government, stemming back several years. Brexit has made that worse as has poor media reporting of the current situation.

The final nail in the coffin is the stupid British public!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There is no way we go all electric it’s impossible, they will never develop a battery that will get an HGV moving more than a few miles.

It amazes me people still think like this. People thought it was impossible to make something fly not much more than 100 years ago.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Or alternatively believe my conspiracy theory mates...!

the problem in the UK has been caused by incompetence, in government, stemming back several years. Brexit has made that worse as has poor media reporting of the current situation.

The final nail in the coffin is the stupid British public!

But the public isn’t stupid. Far from it. If we are told there is a shortage we react rationally by ensuring we don’t miss out. This means bringing forward future purchases thereby making the situation worse. The problem has been caused by the perception of shortage and that is down to the media.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
500% more fuel purchased in the past few days than normal, down to people over reacting - this one is on the public.

A lot of that is purchases brought forward. As I mentioned earlier in the thread we don’t have enough petrol pumps in the country for everyone to fill up at once. Never would have as it rarely happens. So it is irresponsible of the media and assorted EU conspiracy theorists (like the ones on this thread) to scare everyone into filling up with petrol.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This does tend to happen when you have a totally incompetent Government and a largely stupid electorate.

I wonder if there is some link :wink:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well I didn’t and now I can’t.
So saying there was “no need” was actually wrong!

The problem with following the government’s assurances and advice is that nobody believes them any more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here