Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Or that there is genuinely a shortage of fuel…

Trade body the Petrol Retailers Association, which represents around 5,500 independent outlets, said today 50 to 85 per cent of its service stations had run out of fuel.

Chairman Brian Madderson told the BBC the shortages were down to "panic buying, pure and simple"

The UK has around 8,000 petrol stations, most of them run by independent retailers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BREAKING:

an estimated 50-85% of UK petrol stations (outside of the motorway network) have run out of fuel after Britons engaged in panic buying over the weekend

That’s quite a gap between the numbers.

Even if it’s the 50 percent, it shows what utter idiots live in the UK.

I didn't need a self inflicted fuel crisis to show me that.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Trade body the Petrol Retailers Association, which represents around 5,500 independent outlets, said today 50 to 85 per cent of its service stations had run out of fuel.

Chairman Brian Madderson told the BBC the shortages were down to "panic buying, pure and simple"

The UK has around 8,000 petrol stations, most of them run by independent retailers.

I really have great faith in everything the fuel industry and respective associations say.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Kwasi Kwarteng has agreed to temporarily exempt industry from the Competition Act 1988 for the purpose of sharing information and optimising supply.

So no shortage but Government will be working with fuel producers, suppliers, hauliers and retailers to maximise distribution.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry, I posted before he had answered. It's just that on Friday the BBC were reporting that both BP and Esso wouldn't release the figures and from all certifiable sources I have found still haven't. Which was why I was making the point that the BBC could only report what they were being told.

The BBC were saying that they had fully researched this and the figures weren't available. This is the 21st century, surely someone can find a dated certifiable source as to when these facts became available. I'm sorry but I have searched and can't find any certifiable source for these numbers at all. Anyone ?

That’s fair enough…I only mentioned it to help…and posted in reply to Drew as regards to what I heard on the radio :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

50-85 is quite a large margin …..

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Kwasi Kwarteng has agreed to temporarily exempt industry from the Competition Act 1988 for the purpose of sharing information and optimising supply.

So no shortage but Government will be working with fuel producers, suppliers, hauliers and retailers to maximise distribution.
This will allow targeted refilling of certain parts of the UK.

So... London first then the rest.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Who would you believe?

It’s context of their vested interest. Fuel is on its way out over the next few decades. Fuel shortages and disruptions to supply will only hasten people’s switch to electric vehicles - hence fuel retailer associations and the like don’t want this seen as a shortage issue and will attribute blame to consumers, media, HGV drivers, Brexit where they can.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s context of their vested interest. Fuel is on its way out over the next few decades. Fuel shortages and disruptions to supply will only hasten people’s switch to electric vehicles - hence fuel retailer associations and the like don’t want this seen as a shortage issue and will attribute blame to consumers, media, HGV drivers, Brexit where they can.
There is no way we go all electric it’s impossible, they will never develop a battery that will get an HGV moving more than a few miles.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Don't want to panic people but to add to the lack of HGV drivers, the ones we have do not have enough Derv to complete deliveries.

Close all petrol forecourt, only allow key workers to get fuel.

Why do key workers always end up being the ones who have to go to work? I would imagine most key workers sitting at home on a Sunday evening with empty fuel tanks are thinking, "Fvck it. You lot nicked all the fuel. Sort your own shit out."

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
There is no way we go all electric it’s impossible, they will never develop a battery that will get an HGV moving more than a few miles.

It doesn’t need us all to go electric to see a huge hit to their market share. The industry will have a tipping point where fuel demand starts to decline to the point stations will need to close. They will try to put that off as long as possible.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Eh? There are already fully-electric HGVs that develop nearly 700bhp and have a range of 250+ miles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here