Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I guess we will. I look at that article and think there is a big problem with fuel supply but luckily a few companies are ok. I thought the same about their tv coverage. It’s all about the prominence given to the picture and the balance and priority given to bad news over good. It is subtle but it is the same way a story is whipped up by the likes of the Daily Mail. Not sure I can defend the BBC on this one, particularly as it was their Thursday coverage that made me fill up.

Well there's the difference in our interpretations of the exact same BBC news story in a nutshell.

I read that story and thought 'small problem with a couple of suppliers, but nothing really' poured a glass of wine and did nothing.

You read the story and thought 'BBC subtly trying to whip up a problem where there isn't one', panicked and filled up with petrol :wink:

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well there's the difference in our interpretations of the exact same BBC news story in a nutshell.

I read that story and thought 'small problem with a couple of suppliers, but nothing really' poured a glass of wine and did nothing.

You read the story and thought 'BBC subtly trying to whip up a problem where there isn't one', panicked and filled up with petrol :wink:

That last paragraph isn’t true. I didn’t think they were trying to do that. The BBC is my main source of news so I would hardly be so cynical about them. Perhaps that assumption is making it difficult for you to understand the point I am making. You don’t need to jump to the BBC’s defence in my case because they produce most of what I watch on tv. This is not a part of some cultural battle you have with other posters. I just saw the story and decided there was enough in it to create a scare about shortage. My fuel tank was near empty so I brought forward my purchase.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The job offer is not being made to the EU. It will either attract temporary workers or it won’t. Either way we need longer term solutions to address the structural problems faced in recruiting lorry drivers. Bearing in mind the problems also being faced in EU countries I also have my doubts as to the likely success of this scheme. Whether in or out of the EU we would be competing for the same workers to make up the shortfall so the best response is to raise wages rather than import cheap labour.
We need longer term solutions as well. Obviously re=opening the DVLA so they can process licence applications is obvious solution number 1. They could do that tomorrow afternoon, or Tuesday at latest - tell their staff that (like nurses had to) their job is now so important that working from home isn't an option.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
We need longer term solutions as well. Obviously re=opening the DVLA so they can process licence applications is obvious solution number 1. They could do that tomorrow afternoon, or Tuesday at latest - tell their staff that (like nurses had to) their job is now so important that working from home isn't an option.

Not a dig at you but a comment on your post from my own perspective.

I've been WFH since the end of March 2020 with the occasional day in (~1 visit not even a full day every 2 weeks or so) and I estimate I'm 30 to 50% more efficient how is an admin-only function not the same or potentially more efficient?

Organisations have had more than enough time to get home workers up to speed with equipment or training etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not a dig at you but a comment on your post from my own perspective.

I've been WFH since the end of March 2020 with the occasional day in (~1 visit not even a full day every 2 weeks or so) and I estimate I'm 30 to 50% more efficient how is an admin-only function not the same or potentially more efficient?

Organisations have had more than enough time to get home workers up to speed with equipment or training etc.

100% this……loads of companies and organisations are using WFH as an excuse for shite service. I don’t understand either why admin/processing in many settings (including call centres) wouldn’t be more efficient, not less.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are around 8380 petrol stations in the UK.

On Thursday 5 were closed due to a lack of delivery drivers to deliver the fuel. They were not closed due to a lack of fuel.

How on earth did that scenario cause panic buying across the country?

Haven't seen this. Where was it reported it was only 5 that were closed? BP and Esso both said it was only a handful but wouldn't say how many that was. Presumably you've seen it somewhere?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Haven't seen this. Where was it reported it was only 5 that were closed? BP and Esso both said it was only a handful but wouldn't say how many that was. Presumably you've seen it somewhere?

I heard it on the radio on Friday. I think it was a news bulletin on classic FM.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Both [MENTION=28899]Biscuit Barrel[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] quoted figures earlier on in this thread (not the same figures) and I asked where this information was from but got no response :shrug:

There are around 8380 petrol stations in the UK. On Thursday 5 were closed due to a lack of delivery drivers to deliver the fuel. They were not closed due to a lack of fuel.
But that was never going to happen, the story (If it ever was a story!) was that of the 1,400 BP garages 10 or so were having supply issues.

I was under the same impression as you, that BP and Esso wouldn't release figures (or certainly hadn't by Friday) ???

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Yes. The M&S BP garage at East Preston/Rustington had unleaded ( no diesel ) at 7am but the queues were starting to build.

I was driving past to try the Shell 24 hour one nearby but did a quick u-ee to join the queue at the BP.

Oh and the death trap queues on the A27 eastbound past Falmer were also building which suggests fuel.

Queueing was starting at the small Clayhill service station on the way east from Lewes. They had a yellow vested marshall but no idea what he was telling drivers.

Also queues at the Shell at the Maresfield A22/A26 roundabout.

He was telling people we had diesel, unleaded due tomorrow.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In an attempt to keep a sense of perspective, how long did the great bog roll crisis of 2020 last until everyone decided they had had enough, and demand went back to normal ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My licence had to be renewed in May of this year. It was renewed within 5 days of me returning my old one, so I’m not sure they are the problem. My neighbour works for Tomsetts and reckons medicals are a big hold up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Both [MENTION=28899]Biscuit Barrel[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] quoted figures earlier on in this thread (not the same figures) and I asked where this information was from but got no response :shrug:

I was under the same impression as you, that BP and Esso wouldn't release figures (or certainly hadn't by Friday) ???

I agree. We've got half of this board slagging of the BBC for doing what they're supposed to do, ie reporting news and now we got some trying to muddy the waters with unsubstantiated comments about the number of forecourts closed. I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen anywhere any confirmation of the number closed.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree. We've got half of this board slagging of the BBC for doing what they're supposed to do, ie reporting news and now we got some trying to muddy the waters with unsubstantiated comments about the number of forecourts closed. I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen anywhere any confirmation of the number closed.

If you are correct (and I don’t know if you are as I don’t remember the numbers quoted, if indeed there were any) then why are you defending a piece of journalism that lacked research for basic facts ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly. Johnson just wanted the headline of ‘saving Christmas’ again with offering visas to drivers and poultry workers.
He is incapable of planning anything more than 12 days ahead.

Edited for realism :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here