Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Define a 'key worker'

Lorry drivers.

In all honesty, those that were given passes to work in the first lockdown, this happened a few years ago when the tanker drivers blocked fuel getting out the terminals. I have just driven to work to put my weekly stuff in my lorry, passed 2 petrol stations that have had deliveries and there were queuing for fuel blocking the road and side roads, no doubt these will be empty by the end of tonight. I see that the NHS ambulance service are concerned that they will not have enough fuel.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm a key worker and I'm worried I can't get fuel to get to work this week.

Don't want to say exactly what I do on here for obvious reasons, but if I can't get to work and nor can my colleagues that would have to cover for me, then there could be serious repercussions that might result in events which would be local or even national news.

I used to like What's My Line, so first question, and remember only yes or no answers.

Do you work with criminals?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
A country full of morons who voted for brexit are now the same people queuing for petrol whilst reading their daily mail.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Saw a programme about Preppers, folk who believe the end of the world is nigh and have moved into the dessert to stockpile supplies. One of the guys said that if there was a sustained interruption to essential supplies and services civilisation would start to breakdown in a week or less in major cities due to people's greed, stupidity and selfishness.

Based on what's happened in just a few days over a non-existent fuel shortage I'd say that's about right.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Quarter of a days work for a normal HGV, how long to recharge? Going to work well, if we go that way we would need double the amount of lorry drivers.

Well, it is a start and battery technology - plus harvesting kinetic energy from braking etc that is recycled back into the battery cells - will only increase range in due course. Of course, for really long haul trips diesel may be the only viable option but many, many haulage legs could be completed or part-completed using electrically powered units. It's very easy and quick to drop a trailer and re-attach it to a fresh tractor unit if that makes better economic sense.

Also, the electric trucks under development also feature driverless technology. Whilst we are a long way off being ready as a society to integrate that, the direction of travel (pun partly intended) is clear; the future will unquestionably require less truck drivers rather than more, which is part (but obvs not all) of the reason for the current problem recruiting younger people into the haulage industry.

(I don't deny for one second that the crap working conditions, having to be away from a home all week and sleeping in a lay-by outside Kettering are probably the biggest factors in driving an HGV not being especially appealing as a career choice).

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Eh? There are already fully-electric HGVs that develop nearly 700bhp and have a range of 250+ miles.

typical HGV has 4-5x range of that. how many fully electic HGV you reckon are on the road, if we have them they'd be in use right, what with the cost of fuel?

problem with electic HGV is they have to carry a lot of batteries, weighing an awful lot, which reduces their hauling capacity. that inefficent. petrol and diesel are an order of magnitude more energy density than any battery technology.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Six of seven petrol stations closed on my journey back from Heathrow to home. The one open was resulting in carnage on the roads around it. My work trip on Tuesday will have to be cancelled.

The warnings were made before the vote, ignored superficially by too many. We now we have the countries finest Brexit MPs in the govt and unable to lead. Boris warned this was bubbling up in June. Shambolic.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Chatting about this at work today, when asked I said jokingly it’s probably the Taliban making a pact with China and now controlling the oil supplies, no better way to disrupt the west. That got them thinking :)

That got them thinking, “what is this idiot on about”?

I’m with your mates!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I'm a key worker and I'm worried I can't get fuel to get to work this week.

Don't want to say exactly what I do on here for obvious reasons, but if I can't get to work and nor can my colleagues that would have to cover for me, then there could be serious repercussions that might result in events which would be local or even national news.

Clearly others don’t want to say it, but me, I don’t care anymore...

You really really like a look at ME post, don’t you.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not a dig at you but a comment on your post from my own perspective.

I've been WFH since the end of March 2020 with the occasional day in (~1 visit not even a full day every 2 weeks or so) and I estimate I'm 30 to 50% more efficient how is an admin-only function not the same or potentially more efficient?

Organisations have had more than enough time to get home workers up to speed with equipment or training etc.
The theory of whether they should be more efficient is one thing. The practice of whether they are, is another. But it could be that they are a lot less self-motivated than you. People who work for the DVLA have secure jobs for life that do not depend on them generating any income. Perhaps none of them have enough desire to get things working properly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
People who work for the DVLA have secure jobs for life that do not depend on them generating any income.

As do many others that you rely on in your day to day life.

The weirdest thing for me over the last few years is the return to the arguments of the 1980s. We've done all that.

I suppose I need to give you a heads up that Duran Duran have a new album out.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Just a heads up - no petrol going up the A24 4.30am this morning at least until Horsham. I tried Jet. Hillbarn crossroads and Tesco South Horsham (Broadbridge Heath??) no luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here